Why is my coolant warning light is on? | FerrariChat

Why is my coolant warning light is on?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by petrolheadjeff, Jun 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hi all, perhaps someone can jump in here with some advice please.

For some reason my warning coolant LED light is on. 2 years ago I drained the system and replaced the water & antifreeze. I vented at the rad and thermostat housing. I did it right, no air in the system and all was fine so I don't see a connection from then and now but thought I'd mention it. There is no over heating.

Anyway the warning light is on from the moment I turn the key and even before I start the car. I've checked for leaks. There are none. The coolant level in the reservoir is fine and steady. I've vented the system again in case of an air lock, no bubbles or dribbles and the car runs brilliantly. I'm beginning to think electrical on the centre console but before I rip my motor apart I thought I'd see if anyone has had a similar issue.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    The overflow expansion tank (at the rear of the engine) has a float sensor. Remove the cable from the sensor and jumper the wires and see if your coolant warning light goes off. If it does then you've found the culprit.

Good luck!

3. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    ^^^^^^this is what I would try.

Additionally, I understand this is not your point, but as much as I wish they were, I do not think the warning lights in the gauges are LED.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Sounds like he's talking about the light in the check control panel. Most of those are LEDs.

5. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Ahh, yes. My mistake. My '88 does not have that.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #6 Wade, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's a cool feature, when everything is working and was part of the wow factor when the Mondial was first introduced (I love systems checks :) ).

But it added a level of complexity as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    yes I have that centre panel shown by Wade. I looked in the original owners hand book which offers a minimum of info.

*Shout-out to Cockrill* ! Thanks.

I'll check out your suggestion and look on the wiring diagram for it's connections and circuitry. I'll update with my findings.
    Jeff