Why is Ferrari not competitive in F1? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why is Ferrari not competitive in F1?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Husker, Jul 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    My choice of word wasn't appropriate probably, I meant to say team instead I wrote company.
    It should have read:
    "You cannot constantly regenerate a team, and Ferrari has been at it for 70 years now".

Let's leave at that, shall we?

2. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Well, its a long story and a good topic for a doctoral thesis.
    Infact, I might give it a go...

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Yes, we're going to leave it here because your reasoning is baseless.

Are you aware that there are very succesful football teams that were born more than a century ago?

Ray Smith likes this.
  4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't know anything about football; that never interested me.

Have a good day. :rolleyes:

5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    on the brighter side Mclaren and Racing P. don’t have the funds to develop this year’s cars that much so third place is almost guaranteed

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Ferrari has always been just a little above mediocre. Look at the lapse between F1 championships from 79 until Shu came. Ferrari just hangs around with the best drivers they can get and waits for a period when all the other teams are weak. More recently you have seen McLaren come and go, Red Bull come and go, but Merc is a little different. It's unlikely they will be weak as long as they choose to stay in F1. It's not that they are noncompetitive. It's more that they are seldom the best.

william likes this.
  7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    635CSI and william like this.
  8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I have argumented as much on this forum for years.
    There is a reason why most teams are based in Britain, even foreign ones.

paulchua and F2003-GA like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hahaha

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    no flak warranted, I get what you're saying - sometimes new blood/creative destruction is the only answer.

william likes this.
  11. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Get rid of the turbos in the cars and the ability to controlling the power units from the pits along with some technology and they will have more of a chance of being successful. F1 now is not about racing but managing.....engine, tires, aero, fuel consumption, drivers. It's not about who's the fastest anymore.
    Merc has better engineers on the current turbo engines. Thats why Hamilton went to Mercedes when the engine switched. Drivers has become less important over the years. DAS system ...what kind of BS is that!

12. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    And then people would say: oh, look, Ferrari 3 different team principals in 4 years, Mercedes always the same...

Internet. Everybody is a ****ing expert.

F2003-GA likes this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I don't want to put words in @william 's mouth, but I believe his thesis is sometimes an organization can become less successful due to age. Not a radical notion, and seen time and again in history. Take General Electric, for example.

As for Scuderia Ferrari? Is this the case? I certainly don't know for sure, but with a drought now entering its 13th year, nothing ignorant about positing if a total 'reset' is warranted.

After all, God himself felt this was the only solution once.

william likes this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Management changes at Ferrari are often a knee-jerk reaction to a perceived lack of success.
    It's the result of the blame mentality that has always existed at Maranello.
    When they fail, they must find a scapegoat.
    Mercedes works differently and tries to solve problems instead.

15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I´ll repeat: it´s baseless. There are centenary organizations that still work. Many states were founded centuries ago and still exist. On the other hand, most business fail after a few years and in some places they´re constantly at war to move the borders. After all, Ferrari, like all the things that have survived for quite a long time, is a ship of Theseus: little remains unchanged from the Ferrari of 1947.

It´s not the age that kills companies, but the inability to adapt.

635CSI likes this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Some fair points, I can't speak for @william, but I am not calling for the total rebirth of SF, merely acknowledging that there may be inherent flaws that only a total a reboot could rectify.

You may be right, a full reorganization causes more harm than good, I'm not hubristic and arguing for it, but I can acknowledge William's viewpoint is logically reasonable.

17. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Binotto is a cheeto, but who is to say the problem doesn't come from above him? I don't know the answer to that, but if it is so, then replacing anyone will do nothing.

william and F2003-GA like this.
  18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    That´s the point I don´t agree with.

A corporation is not a biological being subject to the natural degradation caused by entropy. When entropy killed the first owner of Ferrari, he got replaced. New factories were built, even they moved to England when they thought was needed. And if they have to sell electric SUVs because nobody is interested in sports cars anymore, they can do it.

If their electric SUVs are not good, then they´ll die. If they´re good, they´ll sell lots of them and, oh, well, I suppose I´ll die.

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Certainly not all corporations, but many organizations can decay and lose focus and efficiency, not saying this is definitively the case at SF. Still, given I am not privy to the inner workers, I'm open-minded to the possibility.

william likes this.
  20. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Yes, but most of the time that´s because they stayed still in a changing world, or because people within the company stopped working as before and the organization failed to replace them.

21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #46 DeSoto, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    You don´t have to change anything when you´re winning. Todt wasn´t replaced when he was winning either.

If Mercedes starts loosing tomorrow you can bet that Toto Wolff will be thrown through a window presto!

Ray Smith likes this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed, is Ferrari changing fast enough? Obviously no, with Mercedes' car far superior. Hence the original point.

23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Don’t think this thread is fair. How can a team which consistently finishes second out of 10 not be considered at least competitive?
    As it turned out by running this year without the engine “cheat“, with an half decent aero we would have easily won last three years. And if Binotto is a cheat without actually ever been found guilty what about every other single team?

Ray Smith and paulchua like this.
  24. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Or Mercedes are better at cheating?

Ray Smith and Huskymaniac like this.
  25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    For sure they learned the lesson from good ol’ Mclaren. Instead of paying engineers for their knowledge while still at Ferrari they now just straight offer all of them jobs at Merc.

Ray Smith and Huskymaniac like this.