Why I Hate Car Dealerships (long rant) | FerrariChat

Why I Hate Car Dealerships (long rant)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Innovativethinker, Sep 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I always do research on cars in advance and almost never go down to the dealership to do shopping. I don’t want to get emotionally attached to a car. I never finance a car, boat, or toy. I am a private person and don’t give out my SSN or fill out a credit application. I simply ask if they want a wire transfer or a cashiers check. I don’t waste anyone’s time and I don’t expect them to waste mine. I really, really hate it when people start lying to me.

This week I needed to buy a company car for one my offices. I like the Hyundai cars and warranty, so I call down to the local dealership and ask for fleet sales. I tell the guy about my quirks regarding personal information and he says he will have to check with his manager, he calls me back and says no problem, all the need is a DL, proof of insurance, and the cashiers check would be fine. We run through his stock via the dealer’s website, I pick out a car and negotiate a price, I ask for the exact OTD price for the cashiers check. We arrange for me to pick up the car between 9:15 and 9:45 the next day. Total time to sell a car: about 15 minutes.

I have two staff members meet me at the dealership at 9:30, the guy that sold me the car isn’t there, but they are aware of the deal. I go out to take a look at the car while they find whatever they need to, and I notice the car has a spoiler – nice add-on that improves the look. I have my DL, my proof of insurance, and a cashiers check.

They slide a credit app in front of me. “No, I already went through this” and informed them of the deal. They say OK and take my information to whoever does the paperwork. 15 minutes go by and I’m sitting out in the lobby at one of those sales desks. I get up and start looking around to see who is handling it, and find someone fiddling with my paperwork, he tells me he needs my SSN for the DMV, informs me it is the law and that the credit app is really a DMV form.

Thing go rapidly down hill from there. I say look, I already went through this, the deal is done, I don’t give out my SSN, the DMV doesn’t have credit apps, and I ask him why wasting my **effing time. He gets his hackles up and says he won’t sell me the car now without a SSN and because I cursed at him. I tell him I could care less about buying his car, I’ll just buy one at Carlsbad and I walk out. My staff left the building when they heard the words “Social Security Number”.

One guy runs after me and offers to “help out” in this misunderstanding. He is nice and well spoken, so I give him five minutes. He comes back and says they don’t need my SSN, just a few references, suggests I just make up names, and then says this is really for Homeland Security. I start to explode but catch myself, thank him for his time, and leave.

I guess someone also ran after my staff members and asked that I call him to resolve it. I get back to my office, and after a few hours I give him a call. He says he doesn’t need my SSN or any other information and asks how he can still sell me the car. I say deliver it to my office today, he agrees. He tells me, ya know that car has a spoiler – yes I know - the spoiler isn’t part of the deal – yes it is part of the deal – okay, it is part of the deal.

Two nice guys deliver the car and bring the paperwork, no problem, done in 15 minutes.

Why they had to go through all the drama is beyond me, I’ve run into these problems before but never to this extent. What I didn’t mention earlier is that this is the second car I have bought at this dealership – the last one went exactly as this one was suppose to.

Now the really funny part:

I get a call the next day from one of the nice guys. It is like a regular after purchase follow-up but I sense something else. I can’t put my finger on it but I know something is up. He asks if I’m happy with the car, if I have any questions, can he do anything else, etc, etc. Then he pauses, clears his voice and says “Um, you will be getting a call from Hyundai regarding your buying experience with us…..”

I just burst out laughing.

2. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    Mark ... hahahaha.....REVENGE IS SWEET!!!!!!...isn't it?

Thanks,
    UZY

3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Let em have it when they call.

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    When I bought my XK8 (used) from a Mazda/Hyundai dealer that had sat outside for a couple of weeks. I started out annoyed because I had called the salesman that morning and asked that they have the car washed (it was black and dusty) when I drove an hour to look at it. I specifically told him, I'm not a tire kicker, I want to drive it and then talk about my trade.

No wash. I should have walked then and told them when they wanted to sell it to call me.

After driving we started talking about price difference. Normal negotiations. I really think it was out of habit the salesman and his manager started shucking and jiving to my great annoyance. I had told them I would be paying by cashier's check. They started with financing options. I told them it would be a cashier's check. We have this rate X, for X per month. IT IS A CASHIER'S CHECK i told them. As I got more annoyed my price ceiling lowered, probably helped me with negotiations actually. I didn't care if I bought or not.

I ended up buying the car (cashier's check). Probably took twice as long as needed. Or three times. When we left it so happened the general manager was leaving at the same time and saw us walking to it, he asked how our experience was. I simply told him that I BOUGHT this car, they did not SELL me this car, and that actually most of what I experienced that night should have made me walk out.

5. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #5 tundraphile, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    Another one was the terrible BMW/Porsche dealer where we had our 3-series serviced. Picture every stereotype of a dirtbag salesman you can imagine, they had them. Now back that with an apathetic incompetent service manager and monosyllabic grease monkeys actually spinning the wrenches. We unloaded BMW and vowed never to buy another one as long as they are our closest dealer.

A week after getting rid of the car we received a call from BMW USA with a survey regarding the service experience. I vented and then told her (truthfully) that we no longer had the car because we had traded it for a MERCEDES.

She says, "oh, you don't have the car anymore you don't need to take this survey..."

I told her, "yes, I guess there won't be any further problems."

6. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Whats the big deal about giving a SS#? There are plenty of people you have given it to if you are a business man and own real estate etc. Seems to me its much easier to use a credit monitoring service like lifelock than to get all upset everytime requests your SS.

7. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Because they don't need it and there is no legitimate reason for them to have it.

I hardly ever provide it in business (I am a corporation). Even buying real estate you don't need it unless you finance.

Do you really want your info in the hands of the lowest paid person in whatever business you are dealing with?

The more people you give it to, the more it will appear in databases. If you think businesses have secure networks, think again - banks have a hard enough time keeping their data secure, let alone the local car dealership.

You would be amazed how many times you *don't* have to give it out. Not even my personal doctor has my SSN (don't use my med insurance when I just go to a doctor).

Unless I am applying for credit (a rare event) or social security, I don't provide it.

When you buy property and get that Statement of Personal Information from the title insurance company asking everything about you - I just write N/A across it. I've had some squawk, but when I tell them I'll just pick another title insurance company they quiet down.

As I indicated to the dealership, it is one of my quirks, they had the option up front of walking from the deal.

As the internet grows, the problem will only get worse.

8. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Personally I think its no big deal. 98% of the people in this country give their SS# to the DMV or power companies, credit card companies etc. Thats the way it works and how you are identified. Other people seeing your number means nothing unless someone is targeting you specifically to obtain something in your name in which case any credit monitoring company will notify you and block it. If its your pet peeve I understand it but I am sure you understand when some paper pusher has a policy where they need it you can either waste your time and go elsewhere, make a big stink everywhere you do business or write it down and move on.

9. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Well, then we disagree on the use of SSN numbers.

Everyone has their own little things they like or dislike. Knowing it could be a sticking point I advised them early on and they obtained management approval. They then changed thier mind and then lied - not a way to transact business. It would have been the same if they agreed to install a stereo, I went to the bank, got the cashiers check, arranged to have someone brought down there to pick up the car, drove down myself, and have them tell me - what stereo?

10. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey Mark, why'd ya buy the car from them after being treated that way? Let your dollars do your talking...in the long run they won. Even with the survey they will be off the hook with the manufacturer after 90 days. If I walk out of someplace I never walk back in.

11. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    It was the easiest path, I really didn't want to run down to Oceanside.

I deal with alot of businesses, and I usualy don't let one person or one incident affect my perception of the business. I have had positive dealings with them before so that tempered my feelings, they also went to a fair amount of effort to correct the situation.

Onward and upward...

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I too do not like to give out my SSN. It is meant to direct my monthly payments into the social security system so I am credited with the proper amount to determine my future benefits for when I retire or if I become disable...nothing more. It is not a form of national ID.

13. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    I also paid cash for a car, and they almost lost the deal because they wanted my SSI..

I have no idea what they need it for... and I agree with the OP, why would I give out my info to the lowest salesman on the lot.. Same with the Dr.s office..

I was at lowes a few days ago and they asked for my phone number...

Why? All I want are these screws... I said no..

14. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Very wise, Sir. :D

I often think consumers can be too quick to lambaste an entire company's ethos based entirely on the under-performance of an individual employee. :eek:

It wasn't exactly an honourable transaction the whole way through, but I'm glad to see you gave them a fair shot to fix their mistakes.

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. milf

milf Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2009
    All good and well, but then if/when he has a warranty issue he has lost his leverage.

Yes they treated him like a monkey, no need to lower yourself and do the same.

I purchased my last vehicle [due to supply issues] from a interstate dealer 500miles away, agreed on a price and transport charge, mailed them a company check [cheque] and all the reg. details, it arrived 2 days latter, they did\'nt even wait for the cheque to clear.

No brainer or issues.

Cheers

16. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would like to say they needed it for OFAC, but they probbly don't know what that means.

17. ScuderiaShield

ScuderiaShield Karting

Sep 20, 2008
    Full Name:
    Matt
    You don't need a SSN to run an OFAC on a customer. I've heard of DMVs requiring an SSN for registration of a car. But if it's a cash deal and the customer is concerned about his information, the dealer should have reassigned the MSO and handed it over to the OP and told him to register the car himself.

18. moretti124guy

moretti124guy Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael Satterfield
    I was an Internet Sales Manager for four years and you don't need a Social for OFAC, but 99% of people who paid cash I would never push the issue. If they seemed shady they would need to provide enough information to make everyone comfortable, but the SSN has really been abused to be used as an ID. Someone said something about Lifelock....save your monthly fee they don't do anything. Someone conned our postman into giving him our mail, and the crook opened up over 40K in credit in my name and 30K in my wife's name, at B of A, Neiman Marcus, Wells Fargo, Life Lock did not even notify me, I caught it because I did not get mail that day and called the post office.

So I call Life Lock, "hey guys I got my id stolen" the call center staff on the other side of the phone "uhhhhh are you sure" so anyways they went on to tell me that because I stopped it before they got any money they did nothing to help clean up the mess so I spent months on the phone getting it all cleaned up with the banks. The local police did nothing as well, only after I worked with the security people at Neiman Marcus, and spent about a month running down leads, to produce the name, last known address, phone numbers, collected the tapes from the call centers (again the guys at Neiman Marcus amazing), then the police came and collected all the evidence and issued an arrest warranty for the guy. He is now in Jail somewhere in Central California. They really need to develop a better system to protect credit information and ID.

19. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    #19 xs10shl, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
    Believe it or not, the California DMV is now the first line of defense for the Homeland Security Dept. They now require each CA dealer to have a Red Flag Officer who is in charge of authenticating individuals and positively establishing their identity. I just took my bi annual DMV test and at least 50 percent of the questions involved requirements for this new component of dealer responsibilities.

My understanding is that it only currently applies to dealerships that offer financing but I'm not at all surprised to hear that the dealership enacted a policy to credit check everyone, as running afoul of DMV policy is less problematic than an occasional irate customer.

20. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Sorry I meant to say "more problematic". I'm really not trying to make excuses for the dealership, but I can see how these new DMV policies are a difficult burdon for dealers, especially seeing that they are now required to perform this invasive task. Invasive DMV policy + junior salesmen + fear of God = bad experience

21. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #21 El Wayne, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
    This is exactly the case. The requirement for OFAC checks has been in place for some time and Red Flag is coming online soon. I believe it's now set to be enforced as of November 1 (it's been pushed back many times) but most dealers have already put a process in place on the advice of Auto Advisory or dealership general counsel.

The fact that employees other than the sales mgr and/or F&I manager aren't really aware of the details and the reasoning behind the need to collect personal information doesn't surprise me but you're right that the salesperson should have been trained in how to properly explain this need to customers.

Don't hate. Try to be understanding but definitely address your concerns with the dealer principal in a letter or phone call.

22. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    the thing i hate ,is take a company corp. check to a bussiness to buy something [$20-$1,500]and they want my dl#,its a corp ck mot my personal ck,this even happens if i send an employee [then they want his] we have been told this is if the check bounces they have someone to chase

23. TommyFerrari

TommyFerrari Karting

Feb 6, 2009
    Check your credit report for a hard inquiry from the dealership or a third party associated with the dealership. They don't need a SSN to do it.

24. moretti124guy

moretti124guy Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael Satterfield
    That is true all they need is your name and address and they can pull a credit report.