Why don’t mondials get any respect? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Why don’t mondials get any respect?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by NYJETSFAN, Apr 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    disagree; i believe they look quite distinctive and classy
    agree; especially with people and on the move.

:)

2. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Yes they do look distinctive & classy, but I have to confess that the higher roofline doesn't look as sleak & as sexy as say a 308 or 355, and I am one of the biggest Mondy fans out there, just my two penneth

3. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    #103 NYJETSFAN, May 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Fyrrari,

Take it easy on Frank. He's been around Ferrari's longer than most on this board, plus he's owned most every kind and best of all, used them!

I remember, Mr. Parker, your "pretty" silver (?) GT4 in Winston-Salem! I also remember you had a certain attachment to one or more of the later V12 2+2's! <grin>

I don't know why these cars don't get more respect, but I can tell you that every 2+2 that Ferrari has ever built has sold EXTREMELY well! <very big grin>

-Peter (looking for an idea for my new personalized tag, currently 4RE MD, maybe soon to be 1 OF 42!)

5. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    The ONLY people I have ever heard put down a Mondial are owners of other Ferrari models. The great unwashed are usually excited to see a Ferrari of any kind.

6. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    Lolaman,

I did not think I was being hard on Frank, he did that to himself-with his disrespectful comment. I too have been around Ferrari's my whole life (Drove my first Lusso at 15) but that does not give me any license to disrespect anyones choice of car on this board. I felt he did, so he got a dishful of my opinion. Fair enough? Anyway I did not mean to offend and I would hope that in his profession he has developed fairly thick skin. Please let's not waste any more keystrokes over his comment. Lets move on...

High roofline? Everything is relative...I have a great picture of my 8 year old daughter looking OVER the roofline of the Mondial as she is standing next to it. That particular picture always makes me realize that it really is a low car. Besides on mine (convert.) if the roofline was to high, I would just fold it down!! I have a difficult time with the ground clearance as well. (Ants fear this car...)

Yup, pretty embarassing to drive this disrespectful car around the neighborhood. Practically worthless.

Fyrrari

p.s.

There was a Mondial in a 80's movie called "Weird Science" w/Kelley LeBrock. Anyone remember that one?

7. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

I agree :)

8. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey! Thanks man. I like those wheels too!!

You go Lolaman! Luv that.

Bring it Boxer Boy. :)

9. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    #109 buzzm2005, May 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Truly. Is there anything ugly about this?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I tell ya: Even if you don't respect the Mondial, you gotta respect Mondial OWNERS. The quickest on fchat to defend their chosen ride!

Now I've GOT to do something about the side marker lights. Aren't they awful? I've been looking at Boxers of late and many of them are without and they look really obvious to me now.

Sorry. Back to the show....

11. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    Very nice Buzzm2005.

And I like your use of "chosen" ride. As I "chose" to buy a Mondial out of appreciation, not affordablility!

By the way...Nice setting for the photo. Your Mondial looks very clean.

Enjoy...

12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Cool, Fyrrari. Done deal.

My first track drive (as opposed to ride) was 4461, a beautiful Lusso, entrusted to me by a saintly man who (at that time) didn't know me from Adam.

I had a choice this past couple weeks to buy either a 512BBi that was an unknown or a Mondial t Coupe bought new locally (and driven by me at Road Atlanta, Summit Point, Savannah, Rockingham and the 1990 Annual Meet at Watkins Glen with 1100 miles on it, again by the invitation of the saintly woman owner), a car I've serviced all it's life and recently had a clutch, an engine out service and new tires. It was a no brainer.

I chose the Mondial t Coupe because I love driving it, I like looking at it and I can drive it every day!

-Peter

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Okay, who is going to make Tshirts with "Mondial Owners Support Network" on the back with the various Mondial logos?

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Back in 86 or 87 I was at a lunch with a bunch of people from FNA. Understand that the Mondial was never afforded much respect in that circle as well.
    Well the Mondial came up in conversation and I said out loud " I think the coupe is the nicest driving car in the line up right now". The entire table went quiet and most there glared at me. Finally, I don't remember if the Pres was there or it was one of the VP's but the highest ranking guy there said " I agree, Damn nice driving car. Not as fast but better for just driving around than any of the others ".

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Owning both versions of the V8, Brian is correct.

Now the V12 2+2s from the same era were just in a different league. Both driving and pricewise...

16. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Peter,

Congratulations on the Mondial!

Dom (remember me, and my green alfa spider?)

17. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    There's a white over black 400i at a dealer less than a mile from my house (www.santanaimports.com), as the crow flies, and I'm tempted to drive the GT4 over there and see if I can't swindle a testdrive just to experience for myself this difference you speak of.

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    To paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson, be careful, you might think you can handle it, but a V12 is like heroin...

19. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    yes I did! she was sooooooo hot! oh yeah and so was Kelley LeBrock, I am 41 and still watch it when its on TV.

20. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    Maybe we can start a mondial anonymous club together kind of like alcoholics anonymous does! Get together and talk about our problem mondials! We could get other F-cars owners to show up for support!

Just kidding guys

time for another Heineken but the way~~~~~~~~~~

21. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Unfortunately Jeremy Clarkson also said on his Italy visit around 12 years ago about the 355:
    ''Now Ferrari haven't always got it right, the old Testarossa was a dog and the Mondial looked like its dinner''

I wasn't a happy bunny when I heard him say that :-(

22. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    After reading his article on an FOC trackday (where he was almost black flagged for dangerous driving!)Clarkson's opinion is worth absolutley nothing to me.

The T-Shirts are a great idea

23. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    My money is on Peter.

Birdman

24. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    He's entertainment, not an expert. After 3 glasses of wine, he's actually funny.

I'm in if we go forward.

25. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    If that's the case, then why do the Car&Driver and other auto magazines' test drivers and/or writers have that opinion of the Mondial?