Why don’t mondials get any respect? | FerrariChat

Why don’t mondials get any respect?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by NYJETSFAN, Apr 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    Why don’t mondials get any respect?
    I have been telling a few friends that I bought a mondial t coupe, and they say what the heck is that? or isn’t that the square looking boxy kind of looking Ferrari with 4 seats? wow I didn’t think they got such a bad rap and no respect.

as long as I`m happy :)

2. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Im impressed!

But then again I have a baby and a Mondial T Cab!

Seriously though..I think they get respect. When I contacted an F-chatter about an old post he made about "thinking" of selling his Mondial T coupe..he wrote back and said it sold in 2 days.

I then contacted a dealer about one...coupe sold quickly as well and no leads for another.

And those were coupes!

3. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    they do sell fast! the t coupe`s that is, but the t cab`s are one of kind too, very pleasing to the eye

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I get the same thing on occasion, but I figure I will teach them all, one at a time.

I have one pal who jokingly says "...your my only friend with a Ferrari, but I cant even brag about you - 'cause you have that damn Mondial..."

Priceless.

Anyhow... The Mondial t is special enough that most people admire it after only a short veiwing. You will see.

5. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    its funny, some of friends see my 308gtb and say thats a very sweet looking ride, then they get in the 348 which is the same drive train as the t coupe, then they say forget the 308, this 348 fly`s I am sure they will say the same about the t coupe after they get in it....

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You either have the "Magnum car", or the "Miami Vice car", or people don't get the rush of recognizing a "famous" car.

It doesn't matter if it's a "T" or a Mondial 8. An 8-valve 308 has more celebrity. FWIW, Forza featured a sharp black Mondial 3.2 and red 328 a year ago as their cover story. It might have been the color or setting but I thought the Mondial more than held its own.

7. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    #7 NYJETSFAN, Apr 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I don't know, I got a whole LOTTA respect at the '90 Annual Meet. Nick, Mary and I took both her Mondial 8 and her new Mondial t Coupe (that she had delivery miles on) straight to the event. I was in Red group and passed most cars in the group. It had the sweet balance and the torsional rigidity of the earlier cars (must be that longer wheelbase) but it had the juice of the newer cars. I'll never forget Joe Rosen coming up after I passed him in his 250LM and asking "what the hell is that thing?!?" I just smiled and said, "Joe, it's ONLY a Mondial!" Hah!

-Peter

9. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    Other Ferraris of the 1980s had plenty of virtues, but they were also very ostentatious. This was fine in a social atmosphere of "conspicuous consumption", to be sure. The Mondial was the Ferrari that was built to incorporate all of the Ferrari mechanical magic, but without the showy excess. (The side grates could be cited as the indulgence here, but even these were toned down to an æsthetic proportion in the -t.)

I think the Mondial is a beautifully balanced Ferrari, and the -t Coupe the best of the line. I think the model generally is better suited to Coupe than Cabriolet lines. But ultimately this is a matter of purely personal taste.

I also think that Pininfarina achieved a "light, compact" look with the Mondial Coupe that later Ferrari 2+2s have never quite matched; they look big, heavy by comparison.

I think you made a superb choice of Ferrari! :)

10. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I would refer to the 400 as the ''square boxy kind'' not the mondy, the only thing I would say against the mondy is the high roofline sitting next to other Ferraris

11. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Looks wise I prefer the 3.2, although the T is a lovely car to drive I think they lost interest when they done the side vents, they don't look mean enough and are understated, just my two penneth

12. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Does anyone on here know Steve who used to own this Mondial with 355 wheels, I had his details then lost them, Pm me if you know him, Thanks

13. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    I think the Mondial coupes and cabs will age very well, particularly the 3.2 cab IMHO (I'm biased, I have one). While the 308/328 are viewed as timeless and classic ferrari lines, the Mondial has some extra level of subtlety which I believe will come to be admired.

Also, if you're a family guy with small kids that enjoys including the family in automotive fun then you just can't beat a Mondial. There's no better way to pull up in front of the local restaurant with the whole family on a sunny day than with the 3.2 cab....

14. MondiAl87

MondiAl87 Karting

Oct 10, 2005
    Sacramento Area
    Full Name:
    Al D.
    I drove my cabrio 9,000 miles last year mostly around town. I still get the Q/A and suprised looks from the locals that Ferrari even thought about fun for more than two people. A fair number actually seemed dissapointed and suprised that Ferrari didn't continue 2+2 in at least the cabrio form.

Want to really get people going?
    Fold the rear seats down and drive an impluse purchase of tall plants (that stick out above the windshield) home. You might not stop traffic like a beautiful woman in a skimpy dress, but you'll be close!

15. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    :D:D:D ROTFLMAO!! :D:D:D

A "Billy" bookcase from Ikea on the backseats is great too:)

16. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    We're going to by a 4 seat soon. will prob get a 456M GT but the thought of a modial 3.2 Cab keeps entering the picture, as it is a 4 seat convertible.

Think it would help the "respect" if I posted a pic a mondial cab in a garage next to the F40?

In all seriousness though... none of the 4 seaters (since the 60's models) gets anywhere near the same respect as the 2 seaters ...

17. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I love my car and could give a rats arse what other think about it's "position" in the Ferrari family. Never regretted buying and prolly will never sell her. I think that eventually the rarity of the cars will show through and they will then be "recognized". Simon, my offer is still there if you want to take mine for a test drive with your wife.

18. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Thanks nate. Funny thing is she was against the modial option until she saw yours! then she was saying "I think I like the mondial after all..."

I agree with your opinion. I buy a car for me (us). who cars what joe blow pumping gas thinks!

19. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    You think you got problems, imagine owning a 308 gt4...

but seriously, I think the mondials are great cars. Some people need/want a four seater. The mondial does a great job at this, and it's a ferrari. What more could you ask for?

As long as you are happy, that's all that counts.

Dom

20. peteskie

peteskie Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    Oakville ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Peter D
    This is my first post after lurking around for about a year in search of any and all information that is Ferrari. I just recently purchased a "91 Mondial T Coupe and can't wait to get it on the road (it is currently getting a major done). I have always loved the look of the Mondial from day 1. The fact that I have 2 kids and the rear seats are perfect for them right now...is a pure bonus.

IMO I think that photographs do not do this car justice at all...it is a different animal when seen in the flesh and driven...especially the T. For anyone who has never seen one in person or driven one... be sure...it is unmistakeably Ferrari.

Thanks to all of you for the wealth of information, glad to be part of such a great forum...and a member of the Ferrari (and especially) Mondial brotherhood.

Cheers!

21. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Man I have actually been contemplating on getting a 308GT4 next. I think they are cool as hell. If I could just find someone willing to trade me one for some construction services!

-Nate

22. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan

Man I just asked Ferrari of Central Florida how much for a major service and they said 5 to 6 grand! FK ME!!! That's crazy!!!!

-Nate

23. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    It is a great car. I have wanted one from the first time I saw it.

24. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Those with discerning taste deifinately respect it.
    Your average Joe may not, but then again, your average Joe doesn't know what a Mondial or even a 250 SWB is. Their loss.

25. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    welcome to fchat and congrats on your ferrari! i've seen a coupe on the roads once, and you're right, in the flesh they look great!

john