Why does the Mondial have a bad rap? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Why does the Mondial have a bad rap?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by RoPo54, Dec 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #101 hank sound, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Haters - - non believers - - those that don't know - - who cares?? :):):)

None of this shiznitz matters !!!!! What matters is, what matters to you - what you are drawn to. Let's put it this way............ You want to paint your wheels pink?? You shouldn't care if I approve, or not. You want to paint your wheels soft "OEM" silver?? You shouldn't care, if I think you're "factory" lame, or not.

We humans on planet earth must learn about, and accept each other's huge differences - - and the fact that there is truth in the saying - "different strokes for different folks".

Attitudes regarding cars - - conceptually, it pales in comparison to attitudes regarding religious differences .. ahhh yes, talk about some major challenges !!

My dinner is nearing completion - - good thing I prepped the sauce before I chimed in. :):)

As always - cheers,

Hank

2. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Dinner at Hanks, now theres an attitude i can agree with. Thai, perhaps?

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    "lop(b)-gia" (da way to say - "chicken larb").

Teddy, you fly into LA, you eat dinner at my place. :):)

Cheers,

Hankie

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Cars as subjective as music we listen too. I couldn't agree more with Hank.
    Hank, I can't believe its 10 years (you) and me nearly, since we both joined the forum, you are one of the first I remember here :)
    Moreover, where did it all go?

5. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #105 hank sound, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Hi Malc,

Interesting - it is - that as we're worlds apart, that car, that Mondial .. that metal creation from Maranello, has made it possible to communicate with people from so far and away - and even with a warm spot in the heart - after decades and distance ...... and more :):) Hello, and thanks to the WWW as well :):)

"Where did it all go?" MalcQV, it's all right here in front of us. We deal with our shiznits, here and now !!! These are the dynamics of life (I know you understand this). We must just keep trucking and plodding along, while trying to make sense of it all.

If I had less than I have, I'd wonder what it would be like to have - as much as I have.

Cheers, Hank

Cheers mate,

Hank

6. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Nothing wrong with a Mondi! Nothing at all. Ever seen one on the track? The handling is excellent.

7. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    I think Mondials and GT4's are great looking cars.

I've never understood the bad rap for either.

Mondials look and sound great rolling down the street.

8. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    As a young a man a wealthy couple in my little town had a 308 and she had a triple black Mondial. So I saw this car a lot, it was her DD, but it never got me excited. I think it is a handsome car but does not have the sexyness of the other Ferrari models of that time.

9. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    I have owned a 3.2 coupe and now own a T coupe. A lot of time has passed since I owned the 3.2 but I believe the T is a better car. The lower center of gravity, wider rear track, more horse power, and cleaner interior design make it a winner for me. Service cost is an issue with all Ferraris and some components are crap, but the performance is great.

10. Mondial 1985

Mondial 1985 Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    #110 Mondial 1985, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Actually, from a guy who's not affraid to admit that his wallet really doesn't allow for any cool or expensive exotic, I truley beleive that many Ferrari owners look down on Mondial owners, simply because used, they're easier on the purse. There is an inordinate amount of Ferrari snobs out there and I've been around a few at local exotic car get togethrs and C&Cs. I remember a 308 owner's attitude toward me and my Esprit S4(s). Even though neither of us purchased our cars new, the 308 had a higher re-sale value than the Esprit. In all actuallity, though; off of the showroom floor, the Esprit S4 (Turbo Esprit) was priced slightly higher than the 308 and I beleive, could boast of better performance. None the less, the Ferrari badge seems to evoke a certain amount of snobbery and then once you do join the Ferrari ranks, the the snobbery manifests itself on the paritcular model of Ferrari owned. Remember when the 246 owner was frowned upon? Now one drives up and everybody starts getting down on their knees. I must say, though that this Mondial forum is the best form I've ever had the pleasure of joining and I've been a part of BMW, Mercedes, GT-40, and Harley-Davidson, Colt, etc... forums. I was conversing with the guys on the 308/328 side a while back when I was considering one of those, and they were all very helpful and friendly (even though I was in a Lotus). BTW, I'm supposed to get the Mondial back today from the mechanic. CAN'T WAIT!!!

11. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Mondial Refuge

I asked Atlanta Ferrari if they could find me a Mondial and I might as well have mentioned Antrax. From that moment on I was Personal non grata. Its simple enough. There is no money to be made from a Mondial. The salesman said he could get me a decent two seater for about $70,000.

So now I have a spectacular 1986 for less then half that price. Further, it is faster then any of the 308s and has lots of headroom and storage space. Further, unlike the two seaters its looks do not promise more then can be delivered. Simple elegance. Its a perfect storm of hard corps Ferrari affordability.

In the old days I lived within walking distance of the Rockville Auto Show. It is probably the only car show on earth where you can actually see a Tucker driven onto the field. [Its a requirement.] Rollers, Bentlys, Ferraris etc etc. But never a Mondial. I can guarantee you a Mondial would have been a crowd favorite.

12. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Snoberry is not generally an attractive attribute here in the States. The only serious version I ever experienced was in New Zealand. One of my traveling companions was a car enthusiast and amateur submarine inventor. He invited me to visit one of his acquaintences outside Christ Church who had an impressive assembly of vintage cars.

He instantaneously pegged me as out of his class and actually turned his head when I shook his hand to leave. It was an experience of great value to me. I have traveled the entire planet with about 50 countries accounted for. Most of them on official government business. And here was this prosperous provincial with a big nose.

I give him his little bubble in full good faith and with nothing more then hidden amusement. So I drive a Mondial. Hell. I can outrun almost any naturally aspirated BMW six cylinder ever built using my Malibu Max. I remember test driving a mid 1980's BMW 635 with exasperation. What a piece of low performance scrap metal. Looked good though.

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is exactly what I was talking about:

"Scent of a Woman" Was Perfect Except for the Ferrari

Good thing is the comments mostly disagreed!

YELO T = thanks for your kind comments - couldn't agree with you more fine sir!

MvT = well said - love the fact I can store stuff - the biggest thing I love is my kids can sit in it!!!

Samba-Lee = yup about the 400 - had an awesome place in the Daft Punk video, well said about the 80's time is now - I agree wholeheartedly!

Jerry = good points about maintenance - some of the parts border on extortion!! My hope is generics/cross compatible parts become more and more available

Hank = wise words brother...wise words! dinner at your house?!

2dinos = I'm not a skilled enough driver to push the car to the limits - so I take your word for it based on my relatively pedestrian driving!

Vincent = I agree - every car has it's destractors - but overall I love all Ferrari designs, I haven't come across a single one where I was thinking WTF were they thinking - Lotus Europa comes to mind. But even *that* car due to it's relative rarity and age has crossed into the classic territory where it doesn't matter anymore. It's a vintage car and if it's well kept up - that is special all on it's own regardless of design.

Todd308 = I know what you're saying I see the similar sentiment today with the FF, Panamera

raf456 = glad to hear you positive comments

Mondial1985 = Completely agree about the 'lower price' point snobbery - but as others here have said - if they look down on the car simply because of that, their obviously not worth spending time with.

Rapalyea = sorry to hear about the snobbery experience - crazy sad - guy obviously wasn't worth to get to know then!!

Thanks my brothers for all the comments - I'm blessed to have a club to bounce ideas off off - thank you fine gentlemen.

14. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    My Mondial 3.2 cost half as much as its two seater stablemate and cost exactly the same to maintain. It also has lots more headroom and interior space. Further, the two seater has warp speed styling that it can not back up with actual performance. None of these cars are fast by modern standards.

The Mondial is entirely Ferrari in its driving dynamics. And the 3.2 engine is flawless even by today's standards. It is a better engine then the CTS 3.6 vvt I test drove back in 2007 twenty years later. I must admit it is not better then the Mazima 3.6 of the 2005 era.

But the engine is a real masterpiece.

15. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

It's a Ferrari, born in the same factory built with the same passion and love all our cars have had lavished upon them.
    We have seen four seater Ferraris before, convertibles hell now even four wheel drive, but they all share a common DNA - the snobs need to accept and embrace the differences.

16. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    ... Because its only got a bunch of white guys singing about it

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    ROFL Valenzo

18. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Consider the source on that one. Both the website and the writer. "Facebook" journalism at its best.

19. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    Ted, this was great!

20. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    :D

21. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    #121 MalcQV, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That first line. That for me is a big part of ownership. I own a couple of Alfa Romeos and whilst those guys are a great bunch, Ferrari folk not only have exclusive cars but are exclusive people. I visited California a couple of times in the late noughties and we met up with an Fchatter (I can only remember he was a storyboard artist) but after a divorce, buying a house once again I've not until now (In DFW as I type) had the chance or funds to bring me back here (on business currently).
    I will (with my girlfriend) get to California again and hopefully within the next three years. Hank I intend to meet you once and for all :)

I met up with Marci, Don and Carolyn from Plano, DFW last night. Marci collected me from my hotel here in Plano and took me to meet Don and Carolyn in her 360. Remember I'd never met these three wonderful people before, not ever, we went for to Bone Daddy's and I felt like I'd known them for years.
    That is Ferrari (and American) people. It feels like a second home to me, anyway I digress.
    What is not to like about the Mondial ;) (I do miss it).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. samba-lee

samba-lee Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Lee Griffiths
    Being a bit reflective eh Malc? ;). Yes it's great that we now have global friends and glad you've had chance to meet up with some over there. I did similar last week but in Holland.

Oh and far as the Mondi goes, indeed what's not too like! If I had the space I'd be smokin one round as a daily ;)

Lee

23. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Nicely presented. Is that an early Mondial 8?

24. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #124 Valenzo, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    Ok. Today I drove my Mondial for the first time in 6 months. After turning the battery knob on, It fired up after a 3 sec crank. I let it run while I checked each tire psi, checked the oil level, hovered over the open engine bay looking for anything unusual, put down the top, dusted off the spider webs and then went for a drive. WOW. I actually forgot how fun this car is to drive. It's sound, it's responsiveness, it's brakes and ... the overwhelming attention it consistently gets. The Mondial is just an amazing car and I truly love it!

A wise former owner (joe zaff) said it best... "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow". Of course he was speaking of fcar slow and this car, the Mondial, is a blast to drive in control, fast mode.

I really can't think of another car I want that is in this class or above. The Mondial is just dangerous enough, more than this, I would probably kill myself.

That's a rap.

25. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I totally agree. Let's all stop posting in this particular thread. We owners know that the Mondial is way too special to even discuss with the title of this thread constantly popping up. Others are going to start thinking this is the 348/355 section with all of the negative connotations surrounding great positive personal experiences like Ted's.