why does a 308 GT4 sell for more then a Mondial | Page 3 | FerrariChat

why does a 308 GT4 sell for more then a Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by bigeasy, Jul 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    First Ferrari V8 for the road.

2. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    What would GT4's be selling for today had they been Lamborghini as they were originally intended?

3. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Much more than they fetch now

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Reference for this comment please that I have never read before. Thanks

Pete

5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't have an article reference for you, but as I've heard the story -

The GT/4 was a design that Bertone originally drew up for Lamborghini. Lamborghini rejected it, so Bertone shelved it.

Meanwhile in Ferrariland, there was some issue with Pininfarina regarding the design of the GT/4. I've heard they were taking too long with it, but who knows. So Ferrari went to Bertone, who had the GT/4 ready to go and offered it to Ferrari. They apparently made a few small adjustments (I don't know what - maybe just badging) and thus the Dino 308 GT/4 was born.

That's my understanding of how it went down, anyway.

6. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Gerald, I love the photo of the 3 Ferraris in front of a sign saying "ESPRIT"!

7. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    I started my search for a Ferrari wanting a GT4. I looked across the nation, was specific about getting a GT4. Why? Because I was one of those idiots who read up on the Mondial, and wouldn't have one of those slow, lumbering, 'eurotrash' cars that was an ill-conceived step-child of the 308 (seriously, I read something like that in a publication).

So, like most novice Ferrari buyers, the 308 in good fettle was out of reach, I wouldn't be diving headfirst into V12 ownership and the GT4 was my little baby. I drove a couple, and loved the sound, but the driving experience was - apologies in advance, a bit 'tacky'. The balance was very good, natch - it was a Ferrari mid-engine, but the traction was never up to par with the balance, and the front was a bit dancy. Most likely the front bushes were well-worn, and of course the tires were rather narrow.

Anyway, just for ****s and giggles I drove a Mondial QV coupe for sale at a small car dealer in Denver. I was prepared to be unimpressed, you know - slow, rattling, heavy steering, etc. Well! What a shock! It was a real Ferrari.

Then I changed my tune rather quickly. Plus - I learned the Mondial could be had in cabriolet version. Sold. I bought an 83 Mondial, kind of unloved, and needing some spruce up. I have always thought about my perceptions of the GT4 v Mondial, and wondered how many of the great unwashed listened to the press vis-a-vis the Mondial 8, and then painted the entire fleet with the same broad brush? Most people I would guess.

In the fullness of time, I've considered replacing the QV cab. As I'm still a tinkerer, and self maintainer, that leaves me going up to the 348 which I've been advised is the last of the self-servicing cars. And don't get me wrong, I love all that is about the 348, but then I think - 'if I could have a 348, I could also have a Mondial t cab'. Same running gear, but 2 more small seats, and all the things I love about the 348, but at lower cost! Then I got drive mine, and wonder again 'why spend money for another few tenths of performance, and some more rounded body panels'? I just decided to drive and keep my current steed. Ugly bumpers and all.

The media stigma of the Mondial, once stained has never, ever been undone. Lucky for me, I paid approx $15k for my entry to the club, albeit - at the jr rodeo level, I'm still driving a prancer.

NoGoSlow likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #58 paulchua, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Great post! Thanks for sharing. The other thing that the Mondial had going against it was its pricing. Every journalist I see referred to it as the 'entry level' model in the Ferrari lineup 1980-1988 (ala California today)

Nothing could be further from the truth.

The msrp was always ~15% more expensive than the 308/328. It was 1/3 MORE than the 308 GT4!.

That pricing IMHO hurt. It is akin to pricing the California t today above the 488. Imagine of the FF 'successor' came out 1/3 more in price but the same speed or say slower?

I would be the first to also raise an eyebrow.

I've always felt that was a fair criticism when the car was new. But in today's time when that imbalance has swung to the opposite end, it's a false talking point.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #59 PSk, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Interesting.

I'm a big Bertone fan and personally the GT4 is considerably better looking than the Mondial which is IMO bland. It is interesting that it has taken others so long to appreciate the lines and packaging skills of Bertone. The 308GTB was a super simple car to design as it only needed to take 2 people, but the GT4 had to squeeze people in between the driver and same powertrain.

Anyway I'll dig into your theory. [EDIT]The Uracco was produced at the same time ... both Gandini designs. Wikipedia mentions Enzo checking seating arrangements/room on the GT4 ... but yeah, Wikipedia means little ;)[/EDIT]
    Pete

10. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I had a 1983 Mondial, and a 1987 Mondial. I really did like the '87. Very heavy at low speeds, but over 110 mph very, very nice.

Just sold my '77 GT4 last year, great sound. But go blistered at all the stop lights by mini vans, and was hard to get it up to speed sometimes.

I love them both. Wish I had room for each one.

11. jww427

jww427 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    White Post Virginia
    Full Name:
    john w. warner IV
    I just have to enter my 2 cents here!
    Look at the early euro car here.
    Its stunning. And I don't want to hear any whining about webers on a vintage Ferrari. That's a reason to detract from owning a vintage horse? Not.
    A 308 GT4 will be my 3rd Ferrari alright. And they all have webers. Ha!.

Attached Files:

paulchua likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    308 GT4s are awesome. I think the appreciation will only continue to grow.

13. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    The 1st Ferrari I ever drove was a 308 GT4, & I really liked it. It struck me as being a grown up Lotus Europa Twin Cam, which I had. But when my tug (not ship) came in and I could actually buy a Ferrari I had 2 daughters. The Mondial 3.2 won out due to having bigger seats, a larger trunk and the prospect of far better every day usefulness. I drove my Mondial every day for 11 years & remain convinced I made the right choice ... but I would dearly love to swap w/ a GT4 owner for a tandem 100 mile drive in the Smoky Mountains!

paulchua likes this.
  14. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The Mondial is like Marmite spread of the Ferrari world - you either love it or hate it!

I love mine, my wife hates it!

paulchua likes this.
  15. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Wow,
    I don’t post as much as I used to.... but I could not resist.
    I loved Ferrari as a child, teen and in full midlife crisis. Carbs, injection etc... in my opinion you buy what you like and in my case the best for what my buck can buy.

A 1989 Mondial T with 16000 miles, is as close as I will to F1 for now! And there is lots of love.

Lino

paulchua likes this.
  16. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I looked at a 308GTB, that was what I wanted. My then missus oddly did not like it. I saw a Mondial on the web and we both decided it was better especially as it had 4 seats.
    A ropey 308GTB (82) could be had for about £22k in 2004 but that was a little above my spend so I bought the Mondial. Back then a GT4 would have been cheaper. I recall one for £5k but it did need work.
    Roll on today and GT4's are advertised for £45k+. I posted on another thread that I have not seen a Mondial for leass than £30k here and then low and behold... https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ferrari/mondial/1984-ferrari-mondial-quattrovalvole/7774497

Which today looks great value. I imagine it won't be for sale for long. Ultimately cars are like music and subjective. The GT4 has grown on me over the years but I still think the Mondial (especially a 3.2 and 3.4T) are prettier and would always be my choice.

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  18. DM644

DM644 Rookie

Feb 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    David L Marks
    My GT4 is the 2nd Ferrari I have owned. I picked up my 1975 GT4 in Birmingham,AL and drove it up to New York State where I lived. The Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway was a joy till I it was suggested that get off it! In 1992 my wife and I drove and raced it in the Virginia City Hill Climb. We drove the back roads, went camping, took dirt roads to ghost towns, and stayed in posh resorts. Three months and 10,000 miles later we returned home. Other than a two problems, the car was a joy to spend all day driving, that includes rain, snow or sunny days. I do not worry about resale value, it is my Ferrari, and it is meant to be driven. It has stories other Ferraris can only dream of. In fact my first one accumulated its own rode trip stories. Ferraris look best from cockpit on a road trip.

VIZSLA, paulchua, Dom and 2 others like this.
  19. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Like! And welcome! you still have it?

paulchua likes this.
  20. DM644

DM644 Rookie

Feb 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    David L Marks
    Yes I still have it. I had to put it into storage. Do to where the car was kept the clutch froze to the fly wheel. No amount engine torque would break it free. And then life goes on.

paulchua likes this.