Why do people with no Ferrari hate those that do on this site? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why do people with no Ferrari hate those that do on this site?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by daytona355, Dec 24, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    to an extent Paul, I agree with you, it can be quite funny. Sometimes though it gets really quite aggressive, and can undoubtedly upset the person targeted, especially I’m guessing if they are trying to sell a car and they have to deal with it. I’m glad the trend is getting less, that’s good news, but a shame anyone has to let their jealousy or whatever other problem they have overwhelm them like it seems to.

stavura, jpalmito, wax and 1 other person like this.
  2. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

I've been a paid subscriber since 2005. Still don't own a Ferrari. Still regret choosing the 968 over the Mondial.

Still love F-chat.

Joe

Jakuzzi and Texas Forever like this.
  3. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I don’t really see the hate/jealousy . Maybe I don’t know who does or does not own one.

rampante550, Jakuzzi and Boomhauer like this.
  4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Interesting thread. Another pattern I’ve noticed (particularly in the vintage section) are SOME older fans who disdain modern Ferrari’s (basically, anything post mind 70’s) and those that like them. Also, I’ve noticed a few who patronize anyone who weighs-in on the vintage topic, as if you have to be 70 years old + to love those cars. Interestingly, a few of those I’m referring to don’t have a Ferrari any longer, or never had one, but they certainly like to ridicule. And, before you ask, I’m not naming names. Anyhow, this should simply be a forum for all who enjoy the brand, regardless of age or ownership status.

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    noticed that too.
    on the few occasions i have ventured in there, the anoraks really attack !

daytona355 likes this.
  6. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    #31 Portofino, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    I don’t see or feel any hate either .
    Perhaps having dealt with the general public from all walks I,am a bit desensitised.
    There’s a huge spectrum of respondents on here .Although some might ( on a polarised topic ) get abusive they are only a small minority and when the threads got a few posts the general consensus emerges .
    Main thing is every days a school day on here and there’s so much info to share , and I,am great full to those that take the time to do that ......despite the occasional perception if any of hate .
    PC ness means we owners must welcome none owners , folks who have never had one .But I push back on that as often posts are asking questions to fix issues or share info on parts or “ how to do “ stuff .For theses post imho it’s best real owners chime in with real experience.
    I,am on my 3 rd in 20 years .Testarossa , 360 , now a 208 GT 4 of all things.
    The spannering advice on the 308 section has been invaluable.

The only annoyance for me is threads about residual values and depreciation/ finance ......folks worried sick about loosing money or writing words like “ investment “ .Theses soon can turn nasty as others ( mostly none owners ) take glee in the losses .Mostly with new modals .What are they expecting ?
    The term “ disposable “ income seems lost with some .

Jakuzzi, DGPF, Lusso123 and 2 others like this.
  7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I can’t actually claim that I’ve heard any disdain from non owners, just a handful in the vintage section that think Ferrari should still be the provincial little shop It was in the early 60’s. I stress “a handful” because most, including the most respected authority on Ferrari, are very nice and encouraging.

rampante550 and Boomhauer like this.
  8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The OWNER designation on Fchat is useful. Comments by non owners can be taken with a grain of salt. At least owners have put their money where their mouth is.

A chat cite can digress into a big ego contest where being right is more important than sharing information. Everybody likes to be right. Those that admit they were wrong based on new information are growing in character and are more valuable members on Fchat.

9. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Agreed. And I want to be clear, as I keep looking at my title for the thread and wish I’d inserted a couple extra words, it’s not all non owners...... it’s just a very occasional poster that we come across in all sorts of threads, where they seem to enjoy derailing things for one reason or another, usually needling the OP or those trying to help maybe, and all the while, while seemingly trying to insinuate they have knowledge or/and experience, it turns out they have never ever owned a ferrari and so are actually either plaguerising others badly, or just being awkward, or sometimes making wild accusations about the OP or the car, or the subject! They usually get found out and vanquished, but not always.

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The longer I live the more I realize the word HATE should be avoided. Rather than saying I hate something it is much better to say I prefer something else. The word HATE implies the subject has some control over the speaker saying it.

For instance instead of saying I hate Teslas I say I prefer Ferraris.

This is not so confrontational and can lead to a constructive exchange of ideas. All parties can exchange ideas more effectively and the parties are more likely to learn something and improve their understanding.

I have to catch myself sometimes when I am about to use the word hate. It is a habit that is hard to break but it is not impossible.

Being polite and respectful is a way of life that pays big dividends. Rant over.

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #36 miurasv, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    Anoraks? Really? What nonsense! Where were you attacked? Or wasn't it actually the case that you were the attacker when you waded into a complex thread you knew nothing about, or the people contributing, and then, not being able to back up what you said, instead, you shrugged off and tried to diminish proven and properly researched facts as that of by anoraks?

DGPF likes this.
  12. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    the problem with it is that it is so difficult for some of us to get certified as owners. Where I am, there are no other members that are able to go through the process for me, I’ve offered to meet people at silverstone at ferrari events, all sorts, but can’t get certified, yet bought my first ferrari of 21 in 2003!

Nospinzone and PTG1 like this.
  13. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It does seem impossible to be certified as an owner on this site, perhaps the rules should be changed given the my ferrari app now shows and confirms ownership so hopefully someone can look at the rules and bring them up to date
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

AshAP, kes7u and daytona355 like this.
  14. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    we also have carbon McCoy here, who I’ve supplied the chassis numbers of most of my cars over the years to add to his database, and also the ferrari owners club issue their membership cards, and printouts of owned cars! Should be easier to do it, and of course, in the uk, we have the full registration document which contains all details of owner and vehicle... it only needs to be done for one car!

PTG1 and kes7u like this.
  15. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I'm in the process; just waiting on a moderator. I'm really surprised I didn't get any grief over it. I'm sure a new purchase thread will bring out such deserved comments. And they are deserved for waiting so long.

16. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I bought my first in 1977, but apparently I'm not an owner either lol

DGPF, PTG1 and daytona355 like this.
  17. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    What/where is the owner designation?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
  19. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks for proving my point for me so well.......

wrxmike, Jeffg11, wax and 5 others like this.
  20. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    How do you get the “ owner “ symbol .
    Been in settings can’t see it .......but I,am a IT numpty anyhow but if was quickly doable then rather defeats the point if any John Doe can say they are an “ owner “
    Maybe some sort of scan of the chassis number AND ( in that country) a part of the reg doc to confirm to a Mod ?

21. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Follow the procedure that Andrew outlined below. I never bothered myself. That way the members of the "Owners Forum" can openly talk about me.:rolleyes::D:D:D

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  22. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I resemble that remark, Ross. :D:D:D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

DGPF and PTG1 like this.
  23. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    No wonder then.

DGPF likes this.
  24. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  25. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Hmmm, so I see the tag line saying you are an owner but how do you get that designation or "tag line". Not sure I care but since it's referenced would be good to understand it given I'm a relative newbie to Fchat.