Why didn't the McLaren F1 3 seat design catch on? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why didn't the McLaren F1 3 seat design catch on?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Aaya, Feb 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    The passenger seats are actually pretty comfortable, with a lot more room than I would have expected. And it's pretty awesome looking over at another passenger. :D

2. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    We had a guy on the Corvette ZR1 site complain that he always drove his car alone, and was worried that perhaps the monoleaf springs were taking a "set"; such that the car was a little lower on the left.

He was immediately and repeatedly advised to invest in a fat girlfriend to even things out.

I guess with this car you could go to the British backroom thread on Oriental Woman and pick out a matched pair, thus maintaining the symmetry.

I may be starting to come around to Gordon's way of thinking.

3. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #28 Peloton25, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Agreed on the comfort factor. I have sat in all three seats in the F1 (thanks Scott! ;)) and had no issues with any lack of comfort. The passenger seats kind of cradle you and it doesn't feel cramped at all. I also didn't find it terribly awkward to manuever my way into or out of the driver's seat. A couple of attempts and it would become second nature.

If you do find it difficult, either because you are larger in size or less limber, McLaren offer the option of a quick-release steering wheel to allow for easier access as seen below in #038.

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login