Why did Ferrari go front engined and V8 on the $222,620 Roma? | FerrariChat

Why did Ferrari go front engined and V8 on the $222,620 Roma?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by bitzman, Nov 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    My half baked theory is that when you look at some of the mid-engined ones. they were getting loaded up with scoops and vents and spoilers and all sorts of boy racer stuff like you are going to run LeMans. yet some owners mere;y want to drive their Ferrari out to dinner in a nice neighborhood like Bloomfield Hills or Malibu. So they want a car that makes a strong styling statement but not one screaming "Watch out, you'all, you got a LeMans racer in your midst." I am a little puzzled at the V8 though, instead of a V12. If this car succeeds you can bet a front-engined Ferrri will still be on the horizon for 2023-2025 Ferraris and it might even be making the GM design brass wonder if they really needed to go mid-engined on the Corvette...I also think they did it to deal Aston (already on shaky ground) a fatal blow. And there's plenty of profit margin to add, that price quoted in the headline above must be for a strippo-- a fully loaded one is said to be over $300k, or about the price of at least five C8 Corvettes....

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    The V8 is because they have the powerplant ready to go, and it's now in four models. Just different trim/tune. They probably make them 10:1 versus the V12 now. Cost effective.

The front engine is to make it the everyday Ferrari. Front-mid balance is familiar and easy to drive. The car is very easy to drive although the tech gadgets are intrusive at times.

I finally got a drive today: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/drove-roma-yesterday.631446/#post-147538906

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    It was also a car initially designed for Maserati while the MC20 was designed for Ferrari, but they decided to swap them over to extend the reach of both brands.

ryalex likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's my understanding it's on the same platform as Portofino, right? That should explain the engine and layout.

5. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    The reason for front engine is a very simple one: You cannot build cars with 4 seats and a mid engine. There is not sufficient room for the rear passenger seats and the engine. As simple as that.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Well..you could, but you would end up with a very long car.

imahorse likes this.
  7. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    With the Lusso toast it’s the only 4 seater they offer..

8. Mbelliss

Mbelliss Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mark B
    I personally like the Roma’s concept, but for the life of me, it just doesn’t look like a Ferrari. Before he died, I attended a reception for the Portofino where Marchionne stated that vehicle corrected a lot of aspects of the California not being a true Ferrari (!?); if that was true, I scratch my head re: the Roma

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Mondial, 4 seats, mid-engine

Attached Files:

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Take your like..now go and sit in the corner and think about what you have done..:)

11. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Yes Sir. :)

12. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    Or you end up with child sized rear seats like the Lotus Evora.

13. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Absolutely nothing else can run to brunch the same, be as much fun to drive hard, and get the amazing amount of happy enthusiasm from strangers. Every time we go test something modern we then go for a longer drive somewhere fun and realize this one is a keeper.

I love the Roma and it’s exactly our type of 2+ 1/2, but I wouldn’t trade if I had to. Maybe add one day.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  14. Mbelliss

Mbelliss Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mark B
    Have always thought the Mondial was a curious Ferrari, better looking as a spider than a hardtop. Don’t get as much love as they should. As for mid engine 2+2, like the GT4, made possible by a small transverse engine. Today’s longitudinal powertrains would make 2+2 look like a 2020 F1 car—too long!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    To my mind “mid engine” means the engine is between the front and rear wheel.
    By that definition, a 612 is a 4 seat mid-engine Ferrari.
    If you don’t think so, drive a 550 or 575M and then a 612. You can feel the difference!

4rePhill likes this.
  16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Exactly!

Today we have front mid-engined, and rear mid-engined cars from Ferrari, and the company have pretty much mastered front mid-engined 4 seater's!

(And they're not excessively long either!)

17. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    same here. I just test drove it today. And I have a feeling that it really was not designed to be a Ferrari to be begin with. The feeling overall is very different to what I am used to. The car will get into 8th gear at 30+mph, and when I stepped on gas, it didn't drop the gear down right away (I was in race mode already) So I drove it in manual the whole time. By the way, the car does not have bumpy road function. what the hell? The iPad thing is so tesla like and there was no way I could turn on the radio without parking the car first.

no button. really no button. but the center bridge is so frigging non Ferrari and made the car interior so suffocating.

Blu roma color is very nice though.

Natkingcolebasket69 and ryalex like this.
  18. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
  19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Hey guys... Im going to make a big broad brush comment...

Its not supposed to be an f8. ever.

Its a Bentley GT.

Thats why they built it. Plenty of people buy Bentley Continental GTs. Plenty of people buy Mercedes S class coupes...

Its a great 911 Turbo Alternative.

Its an aston competitor (although sales are so low... its not a big deal)

Its 100k less than a rolls royce wraith!!!

Ferrari can not just offer cars that are for weekend only...

Here is the other thing... the motor exist... the chassis exist... and they are going to average the cost of the car with the Portofino as WELL... as the new SUV. Im sure it will share the same screens and steering wheel and other components.

The car was very inexpensive to develop and actually is a good value in its segment. Its a win!

HH11 likes this.
  20. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Agreed with your post. The Roma is meant to be a different Ferrari. It’s a GT, not a sports car like the mid-engine model line. On paper its statistics say it should be a winner. The Roma has a power-to-weight ratio of 5.6. This compares favorably to a 458 which has 6.1. Curb weights are similar. It has the new quicker shifting 8 speed transmission from the SF90 vs. 458’s 7 speed. It also has all of Ferrari’s latest handing improvements. It even has Race mode which the Portofino doesn’t have and has a .75-inch lower center of gravity than the Portofino. With the front mid-engine design and the transmission at the rear, weight distribution should be close to 50/50.

It is a high-performance GT with a performance envelope closer to a Porsche Turbo, although the Turbo’s AWD traction results in much better 0-60 MPH times. The Roma’s rear tires are only 285 vs 305 for the 458/488/F8. With 560 lbs. torque, this could be the weak link, limiting acceleration times.

I also like the stealth looks. Doesn’t look like a super car and as such doesn’t attract as much attention. I realize some like the attention but at this point in my live, I appreciate the more sophisticated design. I wish the dash was not so high-tech but this is the future. The dash is much like the SF90 and will most likely become the norm on all Ferrari’s going forward.

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The screen is the 12 inch unit found in the Ram pick up truck just with different imaging. Lots of Fiat Chrysler parts in this one it looks like. Nice car tho I do like it.

22. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    I saw a Roma at the dealer’s launch event months ago. It looks a lot smaller in person than in photographs. The design is really beautiful, but the cockpit is a bit ‘cozy.’ The start up and rev was unimpressive, however—hopefully there is an effective remedy for that; regardless, I’d consider buying one.

23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Which dealer do you work at?.lol

24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I don't think it is the one out of the ram trucks (I have two with that screen) that screen is much wider than what I saw in the roma. Perhaps I'm wrong but the screen seems much much larger in the ram. I use them every day but... I obviously didn't have my tape measure.

25. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Not a salesman...just trying to convince myself I made the right decision when I ordered one last month. This will be my first GT, always had sports cars.