Why aren't French cars being imported to the US? | FerrariChat

Why aren't French cars being imported to the US?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bitzman, Dec 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    The incarceration of the French car executive reminds me of his failure to bring Renaults as a name brand back to the US. I miss the French brands--Renault, Citroen and Peugeot-- because I feel they could put pressure on Detroit to match their innovation. I know Trump is talking huge tariffs being laid on importers but why not have invite US cities to compete in offering a package deal to a French automaker to set up an assembly plant here? I know there will Francophiles who protest a French car made in, say, South Carolina "won't be French" but German car fans don't say BMWs and Mercedes assembled in the US aren't German. When I see the beautiful French concept cars reported on from European shows I wonder why the parallel reality--the rest of the world sees French cars except us. Why aren't French cars here when we have French fashion all over our stores? I would even be willing to give a French automaker who sets up an assembly plant here waivers to meeting the myriad of US laws regarding headlights and such for three years until they had time to re-engineer the cars to conform to our laws. We need the influence of France on American car design and engineering and can't get that if Americans are ever more denied the chance to see and own French cars.

2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Whoops I forgot Bugatti, they are imported to the U.S. I've even been to their parties at Pebble...but although they are a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, it is a French automaker with its head office and assembly plant in Molsheim, Alsace, France. Volkswagen purchased the Bugatti trademark in June 1998 and incorporated Bugatti Automobiles S.A.S. in 1999. But my original posting was meant to apply to cars of all price ranges from the lowest buck to upper middle. Here's a Renault prototype for an autonomous car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm not sure the US driving public is missing anything without French cars. While I am a Ferrari fan they won't miss anything if maserati or fiat or alfa go away. I love BMW's still own 2 but there is absolutely nothing in their massive lineup that I would buy. My daughter has drives a BMW and looking for a new car. She drove 3 different BMW's and her response was "blah...no way." I see this time as very similar to the very lame cars we had during the 74-79 time period with gas lines, Japanese cr@pboxes coming to the fore, and wonky smog controls! Now we got too many EV's, hybrids, and gutless 4 cylinder turbos.

RossoCorsaItaly likes this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Because they are ****

one4torque likes this.
  5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    No thanks. Americans are still trying to get the LeCar and Fuego out of their minds. It might be fun to drive a car that goes faster in reverse than forward, though.

one4torque likes this.
  6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I'm older than you... still trying to the the Dauphine out of my mind.... They sold tons of them.

Later, Dad had a Peugeot 505 turbo diesel.
    Nice car but ALWAYS something broken. Dealer could not get parts.
    Then the dealer closed.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

And there is the issue. Not a single French car producer has ever done a serious job of setting up a distribution and support network in the US. With a bunch of half ass dealers and no service or parts support no brand would succeed.

8. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  9. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    Zero to sixty in two minutes!

Joe

randkin likes this.
  10. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    They’ve actually been importing them here for years they just keep getting destroyed in protests and riots before the leave shore.

one4torque likes this.
  11. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Oh, I don't know. I wouldn't mine one of these . . .
    https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/alpine/a110

They'd probably have to jack up the weight by 200 lbs or so just to meet crash standards, assuming that it could meet CARB emissions standards.

fastback33 and Boomhauer like this.
  12. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I had a Peugeot 406 mi16. It was awesome!

13. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    They imported them in the 80s. French have a lot diesel small cars, doesn’t seem to play well in the states?

14. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    You're welcome the the ones we get in the UK. Not sure why anybody wants a French car.

rdefabri likes this.
  15. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    The new ones aren’t as whimsical as their forebearers, and unfortunately, whimsy covered many of their shortcomings. Shouldn’t be unfamiliar territory for many on this site. ;). A shame they’ve all slowly been amputated into poorly stamped versions of Galants.

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Their cars suck, simple as that.

When Renault and Peugeot we’re here, their cars weren’t known for their reliability. That’s pretty much a recipe for disaster when selling against Toyota and Honda.

MalcQV likes this.
  17. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Remember the Renault Alliance/Encore? When Renault and American Motors were partners?
    Sold a ton of those...
    They were reasonably reliable, I think... but AMC is long gone, taken over by Chrysler.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    When Renault and Peugeot were here they had a disastrous dealer network and matching factory support. No brand has a chance to stay on the road that way. Both have produced cars that were popular and well though of in other markets.

19. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I think if the cars were better built, they could have survived that to a degree. Similar to what happened to Ducati (at least from what I was told by the dealers in my area), but if the reliability were there it wouldn't be such a sore spot. It's a shame because Renault is at least a sporty company, I'd love to have an R5 or Alpine, but they didn't really bring cars like that stateside (we had Le Car, which was merde).

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    French parts suppliers and sub assembly suppliers are some of the best in the world and used in most of the famous makes in Europe and USA.

21. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Incredibly, they sold over 600,000 of these!!!

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Do I really need to write a list of cars from GM alone that made Le Car look good? There are a lot of crap cars built by every company. There are also good ones and the French have had their share of both.

23. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yes, GM went bankrupt. They are crap.

I like Toyota and Honda - always have, and although Honda has some more recent snafus, you can't compare most of the manufacturers to them.

Above and beyond that - perception becomes reality. You could show me any list of stats declaring Renault as good as Toyota, I would still have a hard time believing it. Confirmation bias maybe, but I've owned a **** ton of Toyotas and every one of them has been a tank. I can't say that about any other manufacturer of the cars I've owned.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Toyota and Honda make great transportation units for people who hate cars and hate to drive. Life is too short. I could restrict my diet to similarly boring foods but at the end of the day I'd rather be dead. Besides I do my best to avoid supporting a country who holds the record for killing Americans in captivity. They beat out all other countries combined on that score.

Jaguar36, preston400i and alexion like this.
  25. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thankfully, we have choice. Neither of us will convince the other, but at the end of the day neither Renault nor Peugeot will sell many cars here in the US.