Why aren't Daytona's 1 mm or more? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why aren't Daytona's 1 mm or more?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ +1
    60's ferrari, berlinetta, 4 cam, six carbs, transaxel, successor to 275. question is, how can it only be $1M.
    best buy in enzo era ferraris

2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Finitele is absolutely correct. The Daytona is perfect "for cruising" across continents at 130-140 mph. It is easy to tell which people on this forum have actually driven Daytona's.
    At 130 mph, when you put your foot down, its just keeps pulling like a freight train.

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Cruising? The Daytona is a driver's car. Enzo-era 12 cylinder berlinetta, last of the line.

4. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I just spoke to a Daytona owner. He has had his car in storage last 5 years since he bought it. He drained all the oil out of the car and unplugged his battery and it's been sitting on lifters since. (I dont know if that is actually good for the car nor the suspension system). He said when he drove it first the clutch was so heavy he had trouble taking it around the parking lot. He is hoping to sell it when the price goes up more. He sold me his 1989 Speedster saying that the clutch was heavy. Personally I didn't have any problems with the clutch on the Speedster so perhaps he is a bit fussy or weak with the left foot? Any Daytona owner would care to comment on the clutch? I've never driven one before

5. bbpathfinder

bbpathfinder Karting

Mar 29, 2011
    Scottsdale AZ
    The 1st Ferrari i ever saw was owned by...Dr Jack Frost, in Iowa....A red Daytona coupe. When he opend the hood to show off the engine i swear i heard angels sing, the sight of 6 carbs on top of a V12 still etched in my mind 45 years later. I dont remember him having a Spyder,but i was only a patient of his, so anything is possible. Interesting guy, somehow he was friends with Gurney, Bobbie Unser etc. Made quite an impression on a 12yr old kid in a small midwest town-where anyone in a Corvette was a big deal!

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i dont find the clutch heavy at all.

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Having had fortune to drive several different Daytonas in past 10 or so years, I'd like to say that just like with any other 40+ year old cars there are noticeable differences between individual examples mainly because of tuning, chassis set-up and overall maintenance, etc and IMO, Daytona is quite non-descript or, for lack of better wording dare I say, almost boring to drive at speeds under 100 mph.
    OTOH, first time I had one at 140 or so on a two lane highway it became chrystal clear what is the purpose of their existance..., but I've also driven examples that, all things being equal, would not perhaps dare to attempt same.

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #58 ross, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    The clutch isn't exactly light but it's not horrendously heavy either. I notice the weight a lot more when I get back into my modern daily and muscle memory has me nearly pushing the clutch on that through the bulkhead.

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 good description.

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Dr Jack Frost liked to drive his Ferrari models. His Daytona Spyder *14543* was offered for sale in the FML July 1988 with 5,800 miles.
    In April 1972 he picked up a new Daytona *15113* at the factory. Then he drove the car around Europe for a while. The car was then put on a plane and sent to America. Once the Daytona arrived on the first day that he drove the Daytona it was destroyed by a drunk driver.
    Later he ordered another Daytona *16213* and safely put 15,000 miles on that car. Likely the red Daytona coupe that you saw there bbpathfinder!

12. bbpathfinder

bbpathfinder Karting

Mar 29, 2011
    Scottsdale AZ

That would be the one,quite an attention getter.But sadly i think the Delorean he had drew more stares!. Never did see his Spyder....

13. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Owned mine for 15 years, clutch is not overly hard to depress and very easy to start the car moving with the torque of the engine. I agree with post that addressed it was not hard to see who had driven a Daytona.. Once you have driven one "at speed" you won't forget it..Daytonas were not designed for ' round town driving'..

14. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    I think Timo is correct.

As an older car, I think Ferrari had to pick a speed to which it is designed. For the Daytona, that design speed was higher than before. Mine is not really "alive" till about 80-90 mph. As Timo says, you know exactly why they did what they did when the speeds come up.

I've had mine on the track....and is such a sweet car. Very nice handling for a 43 year old car

In contrast, I think the modern cars have a much wider speed envelope in which the car feels right with more modern engineering and technology.

Bill

15. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    The problem is that there is really no place left to drive the car as it was intended. There were places in the US until speed limits came in 1974. Since then the limits have been rescinded but we have added 100MM people and the attendant traffic and enforecement. The French Autoroute and Italian Autostrada are no longer the lightly patrolled radar free routes they once were. Germany is the only place left. Enforcement continues to grow for revenue generation. The fun is gone.

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I disagree, I believe there are plenty of places (other than race tracks), even in the U.S., to enjoy Daytonas (or most vintage Ferraris) as intended, for GT = Grand Touring (= Long Distance Travel) driving.
    Most vintage Ferraris, including Daytonas, are NOT city commuter/cruising vehicles. To use them as such, IMO, is almost waste.
    More recent models (which I'm not too familiar) with all their "car control nannies"(???) seem to have been designed to better accommodate also city/commuter type driving.

17. Bandonbound

Bandonbound Rookie

Aug 13, 2006
    You remind me of a friend of mine that used to complain about how uncomfortable it was to walk around the ski lodge with his ski boots on. Translation: That's not what they're designed for.

18. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Find a place you can ski in and out...and drive your Daytona on Le Mans circuit, best place of all, only limit is your brain or fear or lack of...Ok I am lucky!

19. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Back on topic...
    Today there are three Daytona coupes for sale on the Classic Driver site that are asking over $1 Mil:

Ferrari 365 GTB/4 'Daytona' for Sale | Classic Driver

Daytonas in Europe seem to be significantly more expensive than those in the States, as usual.
    A decent, black 1969 plexi coupe #12923 just sold for $748K at the 2015 Bonhams Scottsdale auction. From the description it appears un-restored with a claimed 55k km. So it still has its scary original sodium valves, but the buyer got an excellent deal! Beautiful car!

Bonhams : The Montreal Auto Salon,1969 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Berlinetta Chassis no. 12923

20. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Love the Plexi....

Jack

21. DaytonaKP

DaytonaKP Karting

Sep 6, 2007
    West Sussex
    Full Name:
    KP
    Which is why JD Classics have a slew of LHD cars for sale.

22. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson