Why aren't Daytona's 1 mm or more? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why aren't Daytona's 1 mm or more?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    It's very '70s and angular. My mother always said it was "too pointy" and that it was one of her least favorite Ferraris. The 275 is very '60s, very sexy and swoopy. The Daytona, IMHO, is more aggressive and less beautiful.

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Yes I noted it said this 5000 mile or so example was one of the lowest mile example. Well I saw a yellow coupe with just over 400 miles a few weeks ago. Also platinum.

3. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I was a passenger once in a Daytona. We were loafing along at 70mph.... in the third gear! I don't have one and never will, but would I wish for one, you bet. I shake my head in disbelief every time that dreaded post comes up about power assistance on the steering.

john

4. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    #29 StephenB, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the daytona is glorious. ferrari is all about the engine. 4 cam/6 carbs. same layout as 275 4 cam, just more modern body style. similar drive experience.

6. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    I have driven both assisted and non-assisted Daytonas. For me, it is the positive feedback of the non-assisted cars that pleases me more. I have tooled-around relatively slow suburban winding roads with little effort, and enjoyed every minute. Almost as fun to drive as a GTC. Almost...

7. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Hi John, I test drove the Rod Stewart spider conversion that had a C/4 power steering unit installed the steering was much lighter at speeds under 40 mph but you did loose feeling at speeds over that I much prefer the ' Armstrong ' steering by the factory.Chuck

8. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Stephen, I'm with you , when you drive one the Power trumps any short comings the car may have..a 2 cam car can not compare to the Daytona's power.

9. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Not my experience sorry, more power and similarly great noise granted but less balanced, feels like it has much more front end mass (which I'm guessing it does but am sure someone will have stats to prove me wrong?)

10. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    My experience is very different though based on driving experience ( and I also have owned 2 Daytona and 3 GTB including a 4 cam to date) but opened to other views,,sure heavier ( but a GTB also feels heavier than a SWB!) but much more power, torque and much better brakes than a 4 cams. So all in all a more relaxed car to drive on open road, less of a comp/ raw feeling car to be driven only in the revs ( but the 4 cams for that is more civilized than the short nose 2 cams already) and of course the shape is different.
    And shape is a matter of taste and period, GTB is archetype of sixties cars, and Daytona is one of the early seventies shape starting from Ghibli, Mangusta etc all with Giugiaro' s involvement. Only one solution, get one of each so you can enjoy and look at all the differences ! And don't worry about value, get what you like!

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #36 amenasce, Aug 30, 2014
  12. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    They look like it but a BBi has metric TRX wheels. I know there is a company in the UK making 17" replacements but as far as I'm aware they are not in production yet.

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    But they are def not regular daytonas, right?

14. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think they could be, it's just this car is sitting lower than normal making the wheels and tyres look big.

15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #40 Wheels1, Sep 5, 2014
  16. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Had a good look around in the preview and was not impressed. Paint and interior looked too bling and was poorly finished on the inside of the front wings. Also is a US car but been fitted with Euro indicators and lost the rear side marker lights.

17. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Looks like it's been"messed" with a bit AND it does look good in the pics. does appear to sit lower.with this price in Europe and the $2.6M price for the blue car at Monterey his may be the direction these cars are going. are Daytonas that much stronger across the pond? Chuck

18. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #43 Wheels1, Sep 5, 2014
  19. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    IIRC, Terry (Los Gatos) offered this car, au natural, few years ago....Dr. Jack Frost original owner(?)....hard to forget THAT name !

Amazing price result,

Jack

20. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
  21. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    I must say it looks stunning in the black/red combo as compared to the white and I doubt Mr Evans would have been a buyer if it was left original! Ashamed to alter an original car but in this case it paid off $$$$ what happened to the days when a color change hurt the value of a car?

22. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Daytona styling doesn't really flow like PF's other designs and will be held back by this

23. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Check out Monterey auctions it appears there were 2 coupes that sold for over one Million

24. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Exactly, besides the un PF looking exterior, the Daytona is only good for cruising

25. DaytonaKP

DaytonaKP Karting

Sep 6, 2007
    West Sussex
    Full Name:
    KP
    How can the Daytona have un PF looks or styling? Since Pininfarina designed it I kind of figure it cant have anything else? It is different to the earlier cars because they ARE earlier cars. But considering it is a design from the late 60's I reckon it stands out as a work of genius.

And to state it "is only good for cruising" just goes to show that you don't really know what you are talking about.