Why are Mercedes so successful? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why are Mercedes so successful?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Igor Ound, Aug 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

?

1. Toto Wolff

36.9%
  2. Lewis Hamilton

24.6%
  3. They spend more than the others

43.1%
  4. Their cheats go unpunished

27.7%
  5. They don’t work from Italy

15.4%
  6. Not so much pressure on them winning

3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Let us postulate the Ferrari could even do this.

Ferrari would never give Wolff enough freedom to run the team as it needs to be run to win championships.

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Mercedes engine boss Andy Cowell -- one of the key individuals behind the brand's success in Formula One -- will leave his role at the end of the month, prompting a restructure of the management at the team's engine department. June 15 report.

Be interesting to see who it is if Toto does not remain

3. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Cowell is good friends with Kaellenius and never said he’s leaving the team altogether. Otherwise Allison probably

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    FIA.

Secret tyre tests, etc, went unnoticed. Weren't they ones together with Renault, drafted the current engine formula?

Also, each time a teach, in this case Ferrari, challenge them, there's always the FIA finding something 'wrong' and slowing that particular team down.

Bas likes this.
  5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Translation

Supporting Ferrari is in fashion on Mercedes chat !

tonyswfla and SimCity3 like this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Ferrari and even Red Bull have large budgets too.
    It's not only about the resources, it's the way you spend your budget, the quality of engineering, the constant development, and good management.
    Ferrari keeps making mistakes, sacking staff, looking for a scapegoat at every occasion.
    I can understand the frustration for a tifosi, but don't blame Toto Wolff and Mercedes for Ferrari's mistakes.

7. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    When a team is able to lead three differents programs at the same time because he has the financial funding and humans competences to do this the others teams looks all like amateurs.
    In 2014 Cowell said they made 27 differents power units prototypes before entering the winter testing.
    But you could believe all they said and this Brand never lie as we see with their own dieselgate ( 2 billions dollars fine last week )

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

There was nothing in the rules to prevent Mercedes to prepare for the new hybrid formula .
    If you are bitter about other teams spending less resources, that's your problem.
    Renault and Honda could have done the same, and I still wonder why they haven't caught Mercedes yet, 7 years later !!!
    Money talks in F1 like in most sports.

9. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree so no tour de force there.
    Just huge differences between budget and staffs.
    Therefore no need to admire them so much like you have done constantly.
    Hammy luckiest driver in Formula one history.

fil and Bas like this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I admire Mercedes, Toto Wolff and Lewis Hamilton a lot because they are the best of the moment, and have been for some time.

They represent everything a team should strive for: excellence in engineering, good management and tactics.

I loved McLaren in the past for those same reasons too. One year, they won all the GPs bar one !!!

If Red Bull, Christian Horner and Max Verstappen manage to come on top and win plenty for several years, I will admire them too.

And Ferrari with Binotto and Leclerc bring back anything resembling the Todt-Brown-Schumacher era, I will like that too.

Sorry, but I like winners more than losers. They are more inspiring to me.

Boomhauer, cairns and ktu like this.
  11. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

You are thinking like someone without deep root .
    A globalized person without any real conviction.
    As a epicurian french i would compare you with a pasteurized cheese looking good but without any kind of flavours.

Bas likes this.
  12. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Again it is Todt, not Toto who has ruined F1.

History has shown that there has always been eras of domination as new technologies/ideas have become implemented- ground effects, Cosworth, turbos, active suspension, etc etc

The difference is that in decades past one had any and all resources to be able to respond.

The emasculated responses by the current gelded teams is due to the misguided cost cutting measures plain and simple- no testing....limp responses. Cuckolds.

Thanks Jean.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bas and ktu like this.
  13. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    None of those things matter if you don't win

Boomhauer and william like this.
  14. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    You have missed my point again
    Try harder

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

There is nothing wrong with the way I think.
    Learn to cope with different opinions.
    And you can stop insulting me as well.
    Personal attacks on this forum can only lead to a ban.

16. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Perhaps moderators will some days realize how cleverly you manipulate things.
    Personally I don't care to be banned and I didn't want to insult you but more to do a soft comparison with a product I like very much.
    I could have been more offensive but I am a polite guy in the end.

stavura, sammysaber and Bas like this.
  17. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Hammy just said that 2000 peoples are working right now for formula one in Daimler Benz ( don't know if he refers to brixworth and Brackley only )
    they said they have the same spending than red bull or Ferrari per year.
    perhaps a lot of volunteers ?

Frank_C and fil like this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I would say that the sport isn't ruined at all, it changes with the time.

But some people's frustration is growing because their favourite team doesn't deliver the results they expect.

Cavallino Nero Rampante and ktu like this.
  19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Perhaps they have slick auditors who appropriate costs to indirect R&D, but wholly benefiting the F! team.
    For the FIA to trawl through the Mercedes accounts and proportion F1 costs from it is plain stupid and nigh impossible, that goes for all the other teams too. Just scrap the ruddy ruling and let market forces dictate what each company can afford.

william likes this.
  20. NunoRosso

NunoRosso Karting

Dec 10, 2007
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I wonder why someone would spend 14 years and write more than 15,000 posts in a Ferrari forum actively defending other teams.

21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Sort of pleasure I guess ( unknown for my I have to say )

22. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    The contrarian standpoint I guess. Problem with that is there is no point in arguing with or against as you know it’s not what the other really believes is right or wrong anyway, just the opposite take for the sake of it.

23. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Very true but for me the drama has gone, the mystique and anticipation will the car last, nail biting stuff.

Today, clinical and near perfect reliability except for a few Pirelli tyre F ups!.

I tend to think F! is now a nice big juicy water melon, very appealing from a distance, unfortunately when you bite into it there is no substance and little taste.

24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I like how you word your argument...almost as if Honda/Ferrari are idiots...

What you fail to include is that Mercedes told the FIA ''adopt these rules or we'll quit''. They already had the difficult bits of the engine done.They had the working concept...when FIA was still debating what engines they should be! The engines are Mercedes' rules. They designed the engine so to say.

As for why they weren't caught...well that's quite easy. The initial engine freeze benefited Mercedes enormously. When the rest was working out how to get to Mercedes power levels and reliability, Mercedes had tons of real time data available to them and how to improve matters....When FIA introduced the token system for engine upgrades, manufacturers had to make tough choices how and when to upgrade...and if an upgrade didn't work, they had to either revert to the old part or stick with the wonky new one....with the tokens already spent! So manufacturers had to introduce their upgrades with a degree of safety...meaning outright performance was nigh on impossible to reach!

Renault in that time was debating if it was worth it to continue investing in F1 and the engine side, hence their engine performing poorly at best. Honda not only joined the F1 party a year late, they also didn't have 3 or so years beforehand to develop engines...and only had 1 team running their engine with data coming from just 2 cars.

Ferrari finally designed a proper engine but Mercedes started to complain and the car was hung full of sensors. FIA never found anything in the car, they had an idea what Ferrari was doing but couldn't prove anything, even after confiscating several engines. Ferrari had to build their current engine in no time, hence the lack of performance.

And now we arrive at today...with Mercedes again with a vastly superior engine, after the Ferrari was neutered...and now that their toys are being taken away they're putting up the victim card.

Even if there never was a engine freeze or token system, Mercedes likely would've have won the 2014,15 and 16 championships. Those years they had the best car and also the best engine. Good for them. Renault had a dog of an engine. Ferrari had a dog of a car. Red Bull had the chassis but crippled by the wonky renault engine. 17, 18, 19 would've been an almighty battle between 3 teams. Who knows who'd have won those....my money is on a mix of Red Bull and Ferrari.

25. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I read that Toto said they spent around 1 MILLION man hours developing the engine ...i guess that counts for something.

jpalmito likes this.