Why are divorces so expensive... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why are divorces so expensive...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by FloridaToAtlanta, Jun 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    My wife didn't mind me buying my 575 but she said why do you want to spend so much on such an old car and 2 weeks ago it died on us, it spent 12 days getting a new clutch sensor and she let me have a million "i told you not to buy an old car". It's hard to rationalize with women when it comes to cars, I had to do the spark plugs for my SLR last year, the whole service was $23k or so......I was in the dog house for a long long loooooong time with that one.

Texas Forever and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  2. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    #27 Formula Uno, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Thanks for that brother;)

I TOTALLY understand and as I said before my ex was also a crazy Bronx/Italian and was absolutely gorgeous and a nymphomaniac as well. You being a farm boy and marrying THAT must have been like marrying someone from another planet.

PS: Instead of "Gia" her family called her "G" right?;)

3. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Something in the middle. like a gasp and an eye roll.
    My wife makes more money than me.
    We almost never fight about money. We’re not rich, but we have what we need. There’s other things to fight about.
    TBH, I wish my wife spent $40k on clothes. Between us guys, she doesn’t have much fashion sense...half her outfits come from Costco. It might rev up our romantic life and she deserves to treat herself every now and then.
    Grass is always greener....
    But jewelry is something I don’t get at all. For something that’s supposed to last forever, it sure deprecates a lot.

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm convinced the entire jewelry business is a straight on scam, from the appraisers on up. How come you can't sell an appraised piece for even 50% of its supposed value?

5. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    If you go to small independent jewelers who aren't crooks you can. When I bought my wifes ring, I went to the seybold building here in miami, hundreds of jewelers in one building. A friend had recommended a guy to me, he'd been in business for 40+ years, small shop literally 50 sq ft if not less. I mentioned the same thing to him, he gave me a written contract that he would give me 80% of what I paid if I ever needed to sell the ring and 100% if I trade it in with him......the guy was 75+ years old so he might not be around if I ever need to sell but thats a great way to do business but overall yes you're right, wifes friend got divorced and felt her ring was worth $75k or so her husband had told her, hasn't gotten an offer over $15k yet for it.

Island Time and G. Pepper like this.
  6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    because jewelers work on a bigger margin then that .. might get 1/3 of appraised value ... but then again every piece I own I paid well under appraised value...

7. JerseyBland

JerseyBland Karting

Apr 29, 2018
    Chandler AZ
    Full Name:
    Scott B
    Haha there you go, Italian from NY...omg you were destined for misery lol

Scream “Frrreeeeeeeedddooooommm” watch braveheart in your underwear, and go put 500 miles on that sexy machine!

FYI (I’m Italian from Jersey, plenty of women in my family fit)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I ran into this when my mom died. She had a LOT of nice stuff. Too good for my nieces. Much of it appraised. I would have been happy with a 33% offer.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  9. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    One of my first friends to get married was bragging about the ring he bought, how the store he bought it from appraised it for like 125% more than he paid for it. I told him to sell it back to them for that. Appraisals are just a way to close a sale, and potentially inflate your insurer if you ever make a claim.

I always feel like I’m getting ripped off when I buy jewelry. I can’t tell the quality or value of it, so I’m buying blindly.

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    From what I have heard mark up on jewellery can be circa 400%; so no wonder you cant get anywhere near the appraised value when trying to sell.

Best thing to hit the jewellery market is the internet. Bought my wife's engagement ring and wedding ring online. Saved about 100% from the high-street price so could get her something bigger than a "chip" LOL

Same with watches. I would now never buy a new watch, unless its something like a Swatch. Anything else I go to the auctions/2nd hand online shops.

11. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    you gotta reverse engineer the deal, best thing to do is call 2-3 pawn shops, get a quote from them on what they'd give you and then use that info in your negotiation.

12. FloridaToAtlanta

May 30, 2018
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Matt
    So speaking of jewelry....do I ask for the big ole diamond ring back? I'm thinking I could pawn that and at least get an oil change on the 430 out of it. I know where it is and more than likely will just sit collecting dust for the next 20 years...dang I want that thing back some kind of bad!

13. FloridaToAtlanta

May 30, 2018
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Matt
    You're exactly right on her family calling her "G". Her older, gigantic brother, who spent 10 years in prison up in NY (for reasons I didn't dig too deep into) and just got out a few years ago would always say to her "How's my little G doing?".

14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Lmao ! Dave , that is one nice ring bro. The funny part is it looks like 20K too. I buy and sell jewelry for a living so I was impressed. Well played !

15. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    LOL !! I am a NY Guinea myself and I grew up in this;)

At Sunday macaroni dinner, how loud does everyone scream at each other?;)

16. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    lol

17. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    My wife was much the same - tended to be more cost conscious than fashion conscious. My solution was to set up an appointment with a personal shopper with Nordstrom. I told the shopper what I wanted to see my wife wear but she still would have the last say. Best thing I ever did - well up to a point. Now she has a taste for Jimmy Choos!

As far as jewelry goes, the diamond industry has done a great job in marketing diamonds as being forever - keeps the resale market at bay.

18. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Are we talking about a disparity between what is fair for each spouse can spend?

My is happy with anything I want to buy - she has the house she wants, kids college and weddings are done, and we have no debt other than some mortgages (multiple properties).

Trying to find a spouse that isn’t crazy at times? Good luck with that one

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I'm approaching this as I go through a divorce. It is all about the agreement that you go in with and the partner you choose. If you go in without disclosing that buying an expensive car (or any such object) is an important goal of your life, and get the full support of your spouse, then you should expect such trouble. You should have conversations about money and expectations. You should have an idea if you want kids or not. You should be clear on your goals and things that you want (including sexually).

I went in with disclosing all of this and still had issues. I entered my marriage with a little bit of caution but things got worse as time progressed. Fortunately it was a short marriage. I got out (almost legally done now). Fortunately I had the car before and she has no right to it - but still, she tried to get it in our negotiations to sell.

I started to figure out myself and where I could be better. I dated a lot! I met someone who was so damn cool I had to ask her to be my girlfriend. I was very clear that my car is an important part of my life and why. She agreed and took the time to learn why and totally supports my hobby and lifestyle. Essentially, I found a partner, not a girlfriend / wife... It still blows my mind.

I really hate guys who live by the creed "Happy wife, happy life". eff that... Too many men live by this and think its okay. Its not. Everyone should be happy. We have every right to be happy, too.

I'm paying for my divorce. I still have my Bambina (my little GT4). I have a way better life.

20. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Well, the unwritten rule is, "If you don't ask, you don't get."

I got mine back from my ex-wife. It was a family heirloom. She got the Mercedes. I was ok with that, because I hated that car, and the ring didn't need an oil change every six months and a grand or two in repairs every year.

So, ask for it. Never know what might happen.

D

21. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

That ring is NOT in our inventory. We do not have ANY such nonsense here at the DM residence.

We have other stuff, but nothing pricey, just not our style. I don't think I've ever spent more than a few hundred bucks on a watch, and the only real watch I ever bought, I bought used.

D

22. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Maybe some of you are marrying the wrong women...

23. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Maybe some women are marrying the wrong man as well.

It's a two way street, paved with unrealistic expectations and unattainable goals. For many, it takes a little practice and they get it figured out in their first marriage. For others, it takes 1,2,3 or more test runs before they figure it out. These are the folks who help make divorce lawyers wealthy.

I was extremely lucky, I only had to reload the marital pipeline once, and this time, we got it right.

D

Island Time and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  24. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Threads like this remind me why I'm so glad I left NYC and never looked back.
    T

25. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    My 1st marriage for sure! 2nd one is now 27 years and counting...