Why Are 348's so Cheap? | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Why Are 348's so Cheap?

Discussion in '348/355' started by VTChris, May 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hmmm, I'm sensing a business plan here: stylish driving jackets with cool packs sewn into the lining. ;)

If only I had a sense of style with which to get the jacket design started... :eek: :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Nah. Just use a few peltier junctions powered by the 12V cigarette lighter.. :)

3. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    It's pretty rare for the temperature in Seattle to hit 90 to 95, but I did drive it one day when it was 92 out and surprisingly it didn't overheat! :)

Mike

4. jerenterprises

jerenterprises Karting

Mar 13, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    Full Name:
    Joshua Reed
    I absolutely agree! I have lusted after the 348 since I was in high school and could hardly afford a tank of gas.. and now I'm all growed up I have one. They say that you shouldn't meet your heroes, but in this instance it isn't the case at all. I love the car and everything about it. The style, the price and the prancing horse on the front. The only issues that I have had with my 348 Speciale was the result of a retarded former owner that didn't take care of it or maintain it properly with the respect and love that it deserves. So the small fortune that I have had to put into it, is only the result of what it needs. Not because of what it lacked from the start.

For all of the headaches, cost and problems.. as soon as you put that key in and hear the engine start and feel the sun on your face, all of that melts away!

I have had faster and more powerful cars than my 348, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It always makes me look back when I park it and smile.

5. ferrari930

ferrari930 Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    Ive just bought a 348, it arrives next week actually, Ive never owned a Ferrari before but have been thinking about it for a long time so thought oh well may aswell just get one, At the moment I think it would be impossible to be better then my 911 Twin Turbo in anyway whatsoever and it sure wont be quicker as nothing compares to the performance of that car, so I wonder little red riding hood, are you better then a 911 Turbo? Hmmmm, its going to be an interesting week.

6. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Better is very subjective. I've had a 996 C2 and it was a great car that handled well and was quick. It was a performance bargain! However, for me, I found everything a little too easy. I liked the tactile feel and driver involvement of the older air cooled models. I've had 3 930s, a 964 turbo, a 911sc Weissach ed. and a 85 RoW cab. I did not like the feel of the 964 turbo as I felt more isolated from the road than the previous 911s and 930s. I sold my heavily modded 86 930 in March because I rarely drove it. In the past year, I probably put 200 miles on it. A couple weeks later, I went to my local dealer and looked at a 997 turbo as a replacement. I drove it and was underwhelmed. The power on tap was about the same as my W211 E55 so I was not really impressed with it. Granted, I drove it in town by the dealership and was not able to open her up, but I did get a feel of her. I experienced the same feeling when I was looking at a 996 turbo cab. I came to the realization that I really missed the rawness of the 930 and how you really have to work the car to get the most out of it. If you don't know how to work the car, it'll bite you...HARD. A week later, I bought another 930.

I haven't had the opportunity to drive a Ferrari yet, but I have narrowed my future Ferrari to a 348 or a 355 with the nod towards a 348. Why? I like the fact that it does not have power steering, so I hope it will have the same feel as my 930. The 348 and 355 are the best and newest Ferraris that I could buy, that I want to buy. I'm an analog guy in a digital world.

I will say this. Your 996 turbo will be a faster car than the 348, but not necessarily a better car.

7. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I know the feeling. There are very few modern cars that I actually get excited about.

Quite a lot of the cars I think are cool were made in the 1990s. It seems like a golden age before everything got packed with electronic driver aids. Also, I was 12 in the mid-90s so that might be an additional contributing factor to my fascination with 1990s cars. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Which answers the question (title of this thread).

Cheers to you and your rescued Speciale. :)

9. ferrari930

ferrari930 Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    Sounds like your a bit of Porsche fan in some ways, I have 9 of them so I guess im obsessed or ill. Strange how you werent impressed with the 997 Turbo though becuase they are absolute rockets and incredible cars. The 930's are great but its a bit to old fashion for me, more aggressive sounding then the 996TT yes but I like technology which the 930 doesnt have but i will still keep the 930 as its a nice car. My suggestion to you would be take the 997TT for another drive though and really open it up this time, im sure you will then end up buying one after the test drive. My 996TT is slightly modified with 510BHP on tap, best car in the world imo. Yes the 996TT will be quicker, the german technology and build quality will also be better BUT the only difference will be its not a Ferrari, this part is what makes it interesting for me, well that and the fact that its not possible to not love Ferraris so its impossible to be dissapointed.

10. errico

errico Karting

Sep 16, 2012
    #310 errico, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    had a 996 turbo / c2 and in december a bought a 348 in incredible condition.

my opinion :

turbo is fast does everything right performance wise.
    looks : ok just that. no one ever took a pic of my porsches. black ones :)
    sound : horrible , sounds like a lawnmover , a modified one. i added the pse exhaust and no cats on my c2 it sound ok. but it was a muffler noise with no balls. you need a GT3 but even that its no ferrari.

348 :
    not so fast at all, but ok. i can keep up with a friends 355 but not a 360.
    looks : it looks ferrari. people takes pics all the time, girls and old ladies look too.
    sound: capristo 3, sounds like a real car. its ferrari classic sound.

porsche was a regular drive , reliable , simple and boring to be honest. 348 is raw, i never understood the steering feel when i was reading about it but damn it handles well if your good at driving. mine is lowered 2 inches.

both great cars. My wife knows nothing about cars and always says, porsche was an everyday car you see, this is a ferrari so stop comparing :)

look at the pic boys, who are we kidding..put 500hp in there and id take it over most cars
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    #311 DonJuan348, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
    That's my old 348 and loved the rawness.

As a matter of fact when I bought my 360 still had my 348 I debated long and hard about returning the 360 because I didn't like it.

If it wasn't that I bought both from the same owner and HE convinced me to give it time that it will grow on me or I would have returned the 360

12. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    'nuff said.....

13. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    For those of us who don't yet have ours... please keep it quiet! Or talk smack about how terrible they are.

14. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That is why I'm looking at Ferraris now.

15. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Beautiful, Pap!

16. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    348's are really growing on me. I would love to grab one myself as a spare

17. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Yeh....348 rulz

18. ferrari930

ferrari930 Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    ok the 348 arrived today, well its definitely drop dead gorgeous and ******** LOUD aswell but thats not a bad thing at all except the Cops can hear you coming. Quite impressed by the performance to be honest, very impressed actually, way quicker then i had imagined but the 996TT would blow it away with no problems at all but its not a fair comparison. So this is what its like to own a Ferrari huh, well I have been bitten by the Ferrari bug thats for sure, life isnt complete without one of these so llI be making sure that I always have a Ferrari sitting in the garage from now on, shame I didnt do it earlier, been to busy with the Porsches. And so do I think it better then a 911 Turbo? Hmm, nah not better, its nothing like the Porsches, its a totally different driving experience, I cant choose a favourite between them, the Ferrari is, well its a Ferrari, thats the only way to describe it so Ill leave it at that. Only thing I dont like about the Ferrari is its unreliable and not as good build quality as the Porsches, i have only owned the Ferrari for 5 hours and got problems already. The door locking system is playing up, the alternator is noisy and flashing the battery light like a christmas tree and the clutch is to tight and a bit burny smelling and its brand new so hasnt been setup correctly. This alternator problem is very common right? In conclusion, did I make the right choice in buying it? No regrets whatsoever, just a bit disspaointed with all the faults but thats Italian cars so you just have to live with that

P.S. Why do they install Steros in Ferraris? You cant hear a thing over the engine, its just unecessary weight

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Glad you're impressed with it. I'll let the 348 owners chime in here.. but as I've read the alternators may need to get dialed in. I'd recheck the grounds, clean them up.. and if/when it's me.. I'm going to put an extra ground on the alternator. Rebuild kits are cheap and I'd upgrade to the Denso unit if possible.

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Go for it, you have my personal guarantee that you will not regret it ;)

21. errico

errico Karting

Sep 16, 2012
    #321 errico, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had both as well.

Porsche is ok, very fast machine but it gets boring if you dont maximize that power cause it doesnt sound like an a true sports car should sound and it feels safe/easy to drive.

Ferrari 348 with a capristo 3 opened all the time is a nice tone, you cant stop laughing really. I drive around with a friend who owns a 355 , the cars yell and we cant stop laughing during the whole ride.

When driving the porsches we dont even pay attention to the sound as they sound like lawnmovers. BUT they are stupid fast :)

So yes it has its little issues but porsche has its issues as well. Different cars really, I loved my porsche but this 348 is something else.

Windows take 45 secs to open : who really cares
    door locks sometimes dont lock : who cares , no one parks these cars anyway.
    no radio : why do you need one ?
    no power steering ? buy a 355 then its what it is.
    alternator : just changed my original after 22 years. 250$ dirt f cheap.
    belt service : Must have been a strategy to fund their F1 cars. Its what it is find a good shop.

find me a 996 turbo that looks better than the attachment...youll be looking for a long time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. ferrari930

ferrari930 Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    The words Porsche and BORING together dont make sense, shame on you! If your not happy with the Porsche sound then why dont you modify the exhaust system so it doesnt sound like (in your words) a "Lawnmower".

Ahhh ok so the slow windows is another common problem with the 348's ay, yup I got that problem aswell. The most interesting thing about the Ferrari is how they get a V8 to sound nothing like a V8 does on any other car, how do you do that Ferrari? If I didint know it was a V8, I would say your pulling my leg Ferrari

23. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    In fairness to Porsche... a 996 isn't really comparable to a 348. It seems the 993 would be the Porsche to compare it to. I would often borrow my dad's 993 when visiting my folks in the States, and it's a fun car to drive with a very mechanical feel about it. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

24. errico

errico Karting

Sep 16, 2012
    Totally agree about the 993. it is a gem.
    993 c4s
    993 turbo ( is was this car for me or a 348/355 ) :)

The sound, the smell, the look, the interior was all nice. It looks mecanical and it sure feels like it inside.

But since the 996 was mentioned I went on that since i owned exactly what he was comparing. I compared what the differences were to me on a 996/348. I come from Porsche i had them for many years so I love the car.

looks : 348 period .
    speed . turbo
    reliability. turbo windows go up faster.
    comfort . turbo
    daily driver . turbo
    once/twice a week car : 348
    wow effect . 348
    maintence . turbo
    Sound : F1 vs Modified Lawnmover . 348 no f chance.

Porsche . You drive to a place and that place makes you feel better after a long day.
    Ferrari . You never leave the car.

Thats the real difference. That simple.

25. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Finally, you understand....Danielson, mista Myagi hava hope fo' you!