Why Alcantara? | FerrariChat

Why Alcantara?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by UroTrash, Nov 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Serious question for once:

What is the advantage of alcantera over leather?

Seems it commands a premium over the same part covered in leather.

2. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I kind of wondered the same thing. I wouldn't like it, I don't like the feel, it's like MicroFiber, that is just too soft.

3. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Here's a marketing piece about Alcantara

http://www.cardesignnews.com/site/process/design_services/display/store4/item132499/

P.S. It's Alcantara (all "a")

4. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    I think texture and durability are the main selling points. The next is for animal lovers such as me that would rather go with a non leather option if available. Don't get me wrong I love a nice leather interior and I wear leather shoes. But, just as I only eat organic free range meat (when I can) and drink organic milk, if given the choice I'd most likely get the Alcantara. When I do choose leather goods I try to find companies that are inline with my views. Wilson Leather and Sued use meat packing leathers, so any coat sold by them isn't being killed solely for its hide. Unfortunately how that animal was treated before and during it got there I can't tell you.

5. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
  6. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    On the inside of my wife's 997 roof?

7. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    :D

8. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

" its high coefficient of friction locates the occupant more securely in their seat than any other car furnishing material,"
    yeah I guess my headliner is alcantra, lot of good it does! Will my head not slide? ha! It does look nice though

9. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    Feels good looks good marketing gimic like Diamonds<< vast quantity monopolized indursty.

senna21 a little of topic free range does not gauratee safety like kosher/halal, another words the blood has to come out(cut at the neck instead of zapped or twisted.lol) in order for the meat to taste good and stay pure from microbacteria and toxins.

10. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    It is very comfortable in hot and cold climate. It keeps your ass glued to the seat when needed without the need for an elaborate racing seat.

11. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Its on the roof because it's light and it's used on many racing applications. It makes the interior look more like a purpose built racer instead of a luxury sports ride. Whether it works is debatable, but its primary purpose is for show when its not on seating surfaces.

Mark

PS: It is pretty excellent for holding you in the seat....but does try to untuck your dress shirts if you move even the slightest inch.

12. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    the wife? or the seat? :)

13. Fenivision

Fenivision Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    I had Alcantara seats in my Lexus IS200. Loved it!
    I'd chose Alcantara over leather any day. It has to be "maintained", or else it won't age well. It's also great on steering wheels.

14. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #14 UroTrash, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
    OK so the stuff is just the mutt's nuts. I'll concede.

But.

You have the homecoming queen in your passenger seat:

HCQ: Wow! I love your car!

FerrariStudThatsYou: Thanks, Its a Ferrari and it increases my testosterone 300%.

HCQ: Kewl!

FSTY: <Tenses arm muscles to show definition>

HCQ: I love this leather!

FSTY: It's not leather, its alcantara.

HCQ: Huh?

FSTY: It's a man-made product thats combines most of the properties of petro-chemicals with a leather-like look.

HCQ: Oh! Like Naugahyde!

FSTY: No! Not at all like Naugahyde! This is a modern product thats lighter than leather and more stable and breathes.

HCQ: Oh! Pleather!

FSTY: No! Not like pleather at all! It cost a lot!

HCQ: I think I should get out now.

15. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Seats yes, girlfriend maybe, wife doubtful.

Mark

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    FSTY: Me too. It feels even better when you're naked...

17. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    HCQ: SLAPP! :D

18. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Headliners don't show heelprints. Muffles screams of terrified passengers better too.
    Really easy to care for, holds you in place better, and is actually quieter, leather doesn't creak as much. Handles heat.
    Have had is for years in cars, E39 M5, E38 750, Lexus, W12 Audi, 599, etc.
    Look at cheap headliners in some cars- my old 911 had the holed white pleather, and new Jag XF has a waffle pattern substance that belongs in a Crewcab Dodge.
    Far better than mousefur in Dino or my old Daytona, or that stuff they used in Stradales- that stuff fades like crazy in TX sun.

19. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I thought they used Alcantara in Stradales, guess I've been mistaken. I've only been in an STi which has Alcantara, and I just didn't like the feeling.

20. vunico

vunico Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2007
    southern florida
    i was pleasantly surprised to find an alcantra steering wheel in the used audi tt i bought this summer...really like the feel and look of it and wouldn't mind a full interior of the stuff...
    the days of leather being exclusive or ,in many applications, even desirable are long gone.

21. TSP 11

TSP 11 Rookie

Apr 11, 2008
    Dorset,England
    Full Name:
    Thomas Stephen Pike
    I was recommended to have my dashboard top and instrument binnacle on my 308 GTB recovered in Alacantara to reduce the dangerously blinding reflection of the leather on the windscreen which 308/328 owners are fully aware of when the sun is at a certain level,sometimes even street lighting can affect visibility.
    I do not know if it works as I have learnt to live with it as I want to keep my car as orignal as possible.
    Regards, Tom.

22. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Ha!

23. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My 2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT has leather and Alcantara seats and door panels and I think it looks and feels great...