Who'se got Bose noise cancelling headphones? | FerrariChat

Who'se got Bose noise cancelling headphones?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by SRT Mike, Dec 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    My dad is starting to get a bit hard of hearing, which means he cranks up the TV louder and louder, and he watches a lot of sports.

My mom loves to read.

You can see the problem.

I was thinking of getting the Bose headphones for my mom, so that she can go in the other room and read in silence. I know I could get headphones for my dad, but there's other noise issues that make it more feasible to get them for my mom.

Do the Bose noise-cancelling headphones filter out ALL noises that aren't being pumped in through their audio jack? How well does it go with background noise like a TV in the next room?

I know the Bose has traditionally been the best for noise cancelling headphones... but are they still?

I know also Bose came out with a new version, so there is an over your whole ear one and a sit on your ear one. It seems the one that covers your whole ear would be better, but the other one seems to be newer... which produces the best results?

Thanks!

2. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    They are great. I mainly use them on flights, but not too sure about them making it "silent" in another room. They filter out a lot of background noise, but they wont make everything silent. However I dont have the ones that cover the entire ear, I've used these before and they are better but I didnt notice much difference (on an airplane at least).

3. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I heard reviews of the Bose that said they were overpriced and the foam around the ear tended to wear out faster than normal. This was about 9-12 months ago so I'm just going off of memory. I don't recall the rest of the review for them.
    Check out epinions.com

4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I don't own a pair myself, but a random guy offered to let me try on his on a plane when I asked about them. They were the sort that covers over the whole ear and I was surprised at how effective they were at filtering out the thrum of the engines and ambient conversation... although, my experience with them was limited purely to wearing them for about 20 seconds.

I don't get many instances where I'm in a noisy environment, so I wasn't able to justify buying a pair myself and don't know what they'd be like long-term or in different situations.

All the best,
    Andrew.

5. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    I used the Bose over the ear for about a year. I also have the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B, which is also an over the ear model that I've used for about 2 months. I bought the 7B as it got superior reviews to the Bose and was a lot cheaper ($187 from Amazon including shipping), and gave the Bose to my wife.

The Bose is a very soft and comfortable fit over the ear. While it doesn't eliminate 100% of outside noise, it does a very good job and I found that what the headset didn't eliminate, my brain did.

I find the 7B a little "harder" fit around the ear, but still quite comfortable to wear for hours. I use it almost daily.

Personally I think the sound from both sets is excellent, with the 7B seemingly "brighter".

6. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
  7. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    I've had mine since 2006 and they are still fine. Only issue I've had was there was some loose part inside one of the ear pieces, turns out it was a little piece of plastic? Took it out and problem was solved, drove me crazy though when it happened.

8. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    I use the Bose for all my travel. They are very good. I recently added the Sony Digital noise cancelling headset as a comparison.

They are pretty equal in my mind.

I like over the ear because otherwise my ears start hurting after 11 or twelves hours of flying and constantly using them.

Either of them is great IMHO.

Kai

9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  10. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have the in-ear buds. They're slightly less good at blocking out ambient noise than the "over ear" cup-style phones, but still very good. On flights they're wonderful: anything that cuts down on the noise makes travel more pleasant. And bonus of the in-ears, they can be used as "regular" headphones - that is without the noise-cancelling on, they'll still play music/transmit audio.

My wife has the sleep buds. At $250 they're pricey, but on night #1 she had them, my alarm went off 3x. She slept through it each time. (Note: the sleepbuds have their own alarm. We just didn't set it that night.)

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Interestingly, that's exactly how my wife got hooked on them. We were on an international flight, and she struck up a conversation with the guy across the aisle about his Bose. She tried them - over the ear type - was impressed, so I got her a pair for Xmas. She's had them for about 8 years, I'd guess. I loaded all her favorite tunes on her iPad. Makes going on a flight much more enjoyable. For she and I...T

sf_hombre and NeuroBeaker like this.
  12. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I love my Bose QC35, and I use them everyday at work. When I call into conference calls, I can hear clearly, and people can hear me just as well. I’m usually on construction sites with lots of noise and in/out, so they’re a godsend when I’m diving into numbers. Not to mention they discourage people from interrupting me when I’m trying to concentrate on something. I’d say half the time I have them on I’m not even playing music, I just have them switched on to minimize background noise.

I also do fair amount of long haul airplane travel. They make it easier to hear my music, or I use the plug adapter to watch movies comfortably over the sound of the airplane.

I also had the version before these that were wired, and was just as pleased.

In short, I highly rate the Bose over ear Bluetooth headphones.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

sf_hombre likes this.
  13. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    I had the wired for years and now the bluetooth for the last 2 or so. I think they're great. When the foam earpads get worn, you can buy replacements for next to nothing on the Eeeb.

14. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I enjoyed the Bose until the earmuff stitching failed
    Decided to try sony’s competition, the wh1000xm2. Thus far I’ve been pleased and find it superior wrt battery life and the touch controls, especially the ability to rapidly turn it off when speaking to flight attendants.

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You can get replacement pads on Amazon for less than $20. I've gone through 2 or 3 sets. I sleep in mine on the plane.

To answer the original question -- they do not filter out everything. What they are really good at is muffling general sounds and cutting down on "white noise" like on an airplane.

16. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Did not know that but now it seems obvious.
    Thanks for the tip.

17. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Excellent quality and simply magic function. I've had them for a long long time and have replaced the foam ear pieces just recently. Use on flights, or at my desk if there's external noise. I got the Bluetooth wireless ones which are also great. I do slightly prefer the wired over-the-ear version being a little more comfortable, but sometimes the need to be wireless is more important.

18. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    They are indispensable, especially on long flights or walking in a city. I have both over the ear and in ear.

19. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I've used the Bose in-ear buds on long drives in my 430 (we've done Chicago to Naples twice). With AP headers and Tubi exhaust my ears start ringing after 30 minutes if they're unprotected.

Sent from my Galaxy

20. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thousands of flight hours logged with Bose QC25. Wouldn't be able to do it without them. If they broke I would buy another pair without thinking.

For comfort I always use over ear and would suggest it as well.

However noise cancelling is sort of a science. It drains out airplane engine noise easily but a crying baby a little less. I would suggest you visit your local tech store near you and try them on. Play some music from your phone with the noise cancelling on. Try comfort and more.

Bose are expensive and I'm sure you can get a "better bang for your buck" in today's world. You may also be able to find used QC25 for less but that will bring some risk.

21. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Bose A20 or bust.

What is this? A Honda forum?

22. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I’ve had a pair of Bose noise canceling on-ear for about 15 years and they still work great. But due to space a usually grab my Shure in-ear wired ear buds. The in-ear isolate better. I’ve had the Shure’s for about the same time. I really need to update - guessing newer will sound better.