Who's trading up now prices are rising...? | FerrariChat

Who's trading up now prices are rising...?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mondi88, Jul 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I see a 30k mile 3.2 coupe is now listed in the UK classifieds with a very respected dealer for £50k ($80K). So as we all get terribly excited with Mondial’s finally seeing an uptick in respect and value, who would sell our previously derided and ridiculed machines and swap to something more modern?

Hank – noticed you recently eluded to maybe “upgrading” soon. Surely, that would be a sad end to an era for all of us, let alone you!

The grand occasion of rolling out my historic work of 80's art means I’m definitely hanging on to mine over any of the newer flappy-paddle affair. And many will maybe think I’m mad, but the affection is just too strong. Plus, if we all sell them and flood the market, it will crash! Don’t do it!! :)

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Good Mondials are cheap to keep by comparison. Going newer to an already old flappy-paddle car sounds really pricey to me.

I went newer (by two years) and although my 348 is a prime example so far I've spent almost as much in one year as I did during the 6 on the 3.2. And I'm still due a belt change on the 348. :)

3. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Wade with your previous care i am hoping to spend even less! Although i am doing the belts and tensioners this weekend. Other than that i have been enjoying the driving experience of the car. Much more civilized than the 308.;)

4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I have the base 8, so nothing fancy, but I'd consider going for a 3 pedal Modena Coupe if they ever ran alongside in worth. I feel like I'd be selling out though, as the Mondi is a vintage car (to me) and I love the smell and feel

5. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    + 1
    The old leather and oil combo is glorious!

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hey Dennis, while you're working that I'll be wrenching a new throw out bearing. I'm pretty happy to have only one hobby to spend my money on, fixing Ferraris.

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I'm not sure I understand the question:D

8. caterus

caterus Karting

Dec 24, 2010
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It all depends on what your motivation is for owning a classic car. My key objectives are:

1. I enjoy driving a Ferrari with it's reputation, heritage and feel.
    2. I want to be able to drive the car without worrying too much about it's value or potential cost if I had a minor incident. I do not want to view my car mainly as an investment and I prefer not to have to worry about the cost impact of driving every mile.
    3. I enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of maintaining and repairing my car. So I want a car which allows me to do this in a reasonable and cost effective manner.
    4. I want my car to be enjoyable to drive, comfortable and be reasonably spacious for trips. Beyond a certain (fairly modest by current standards) level I'm not impressed with outright speed, cornering capacity, exhaust sound etc. etc.

Now given these objectives would anybody like to suggest a better car to own than the Mondial?

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Here here...well said sir!

10. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I could make a case for the V12 550/575 and 456! :)

Regards,
    Jerry

11. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    #1 for me is that I fit in it well and I do not feel compressed. And still lots of room for more people and items. And lets not forget the LOOKS!! Mine is a keeper. H.

12. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Well if anyone is trading up, please contact me as I'm searching for the 'right' Mondial cabriolet 3.2 or t.
    [email protected]

13. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    still searching?

14. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Don,

The good Dr. is still searching, but he hasn't a focal point yet. I advise not jumping to buy, without that focus having been found.

Your (anyone's) thoughts on this advise ??

Cheers,

Hank

15. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

The focus should be simple and straight forward: Pay now or pay later.

16. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Not too long ago if you search hard enough, you can find someone who got caught in a dire situation and is desperate to sell. I believe that phase of the economy has passed. Life is a cycle; we are in the up cycle right now. It will be awhile before the bargain hunting season returns.

17. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield

18. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    The grass is always greener on the other side. Ooops I meant red.

19. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    But in California, the grass will be neither red or green - - try Grigio Silverstone.

:):),

Hank

20. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I've mentioned before I've rejected two offers of $50k. There's nothing for that money that comes close to what we enjoy.

We just did a 1141 mile trip in the mondial and had a ball.

When my (9 yr-old) daughter leaves the nest we might consider a two-seater, or we will more likely just pack the back seats up with luggage and go on more trips.

I don't see comparable fun in a car at 100k for our uses so there's a lot more room to appreciate before I'd consider upgrading.

Now adding to the stable is a different question.... :)

21. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #21 Valenzo, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Loved having ya. My Valenzo had a friend.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I love grigio looking forward to see what the grigio paint is on.