Who's going to Watkins Glen for the FCA National? | FerrariChat

Who's going to Watkins Glen for the FCA National?

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  2. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    #2 JoTeC, Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #3 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Awesome Diagram. I talked to John Finger today about the Glen, he seems to really like it as he has won a number of times there.

Now when you say stay flat here...do you mean lay down in the car?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    I worked with John many times at the Daytona 24 when I was with MoTeC. He has those rotary motors down!

Stay flat on the throttle!

5. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I used to be able to stay flat out at Riverside Raceway all the way from turn one, up the hill through the esses into turn six (heavy braking there). That was in a Formula Ford. At first, I had a couple of harmless spins into the dirt in the esses until I (or maybe the car) found the right line. That was a terrific road course! Too bad it's gone...

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

David -

Are you going to FCA? Call me today if time permits. I'm trying to figure out my plans too. Is your car being hauled up there?

7. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    I will be going, taking the Daytona up.

Wade

8. Rubino

Rubino Formula Junior

May 24, 2005
    Charlotte Area
    Full Name:
    Bob Curtis
    Great looking diagram. It doesn't look like a street car with those speeds. I doubt that I'll be hitting 160 on the main streach.... Especially since my wife says she's gonna disable my top 4 gears. :)

9. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    Hi Bob,
    P-Car, 997 GT3 Cup. 1:57.048 ;) Not the fastest but still getting it done...

10. Rubino

Rubino Formula Junior

May 24, 2005
    Charlotte Area
    Full Name:
    Bob Curtis
    Never confuse the amateurs with the pro's.

"Your can dance around in your underwear and sing to the mirror, but It doesn make you Madonna"

Truth is that timing and tracking like that would be a lot of fun and useful, but I can see the temptation to compare notes at the end of the run, and try a bit harder next session.

Great looking tool.
    Cheers

11. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    LOL!

12. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    A great track in the dry. Unfortunately I have only been on it when it was raining during One Lap '03 in the SVR and '06 in the Ultima.
    The lambo being a racecar had no ventilation system and as soon as my doors shut all windows fogged up as if someone had pulled a curtain. I had made a fresh airduct out of cut up radiatorhose and pointed it towards the windshield and after hammering through the gears towards T1 a quartersize peephole started to form on the windshield by the time I got there. That scared the crap out of me.
    In the Ultima I remember going down one of the back straights at about 150 hitting a puddle and staring at the wall instantly. I immediately took my hands off the wheel and started praying. Well, I was too busy to take my hands off the wheel but I still said some very quick prayers like "please let me see my kids again".
    I hope to get the chance to run RA in the dry one day.It is a horsepower track for sure.

Karl
    www.europeanroadandracing.com

PS I will be at the Glen the week after. Have been hired to keep someone's Vintage cars running.

13. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Awesome Karl-Only you would try to run that monster around the Glen with fogged up windows! I found several B&Bs with the owners agreeing to let me use their garages since the hotels don't have covered parking. My car leaks, and when I drove it last year it seemed to be the rainmaker. Maybe the new paint will change that.

People don't know what a truely great racer you are. How many track records do you have now and what is your standing in the series? Tell us about your race at VIR.

14. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    I am running the Mid Atlantic Championship this year. There is much more competition. The last event was VIR North. Dyno testing at the track revealed that I was 4 hp short of my allowed limit due to the new engine I had to build(my original one finally grenaded at CMP earlier wit 113000 hard miles on it).
    Most Turbos in my class were agood bit over (some by 50hp). Anyway, I managed to get the pole for saturday's race. My son Michael and I had a hard time getting my window net latched(something got bent) and I was struggling to get to the false grid. I finally got there and was just inside the 3 min. warning. Rules say you can no longer take your spot after that.
    There were 57 cars in the race and 19 in the 944 class. I had to start 19th(dead last) in my group and 51st overall. We have several staggered starts within the race, giving each group some room amongst themselves until the field starts to mix. At first I was pissed which made me go really fast but then I started to enjoy the challenge I was handed. On the last lap(lap 11) I took the lead in my class and started to pull away. There was a yellow flag situation at the last turn which forced me to tuck in behind 2 slower cars(there is no passing until the next flagstation is without a yellow).The next flagstation was the chequered flag and by the time it was in my view and I could start accelerating I saw the Turbo coming up fast from behind. By the time he passed the yellow flag incident it was no longer there so he never lost his momentum. He got me right at the start/finish what we found out later was 6/100 sec. It would have been cool to have won from all the way in the back but I was still happy knowing that I could. I had to be satisfied with 2nd in class and 16th overall. I also reset my track record from last year by 1.3 sec.
    I now hold track records at
    VIR full
    VIR North
    Rockingham
    Roebling Road
    CMP
    Road Atlanta
    Mid Ohio

I am currently leading the MA Championship with 3 races to go and next month it is of to Mid Ohio again to defend my National title at the runoffs.
    2 qualifying races on friday and saturday and the Championship race on sunday. ( if anyone is interested in an advertising spot for that let me know) oops, did I just say that.

David, I hope that brings you up to speed. Thanks for asking.

Karl
    www.europeanroadandracing.com

15. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    I'll be there in my 360 Spider but won't be taking it on the track although I've got dozens of days of seat time at WGI :) Can't wait to be there!