Who's 550 Modulars Are Leaking? | FerrariChat

Who's 550 Modulars Are Leaking?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Qksilver, Mar 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Please chime in. We are losing quite a bit of air/day.

List:
    Qksilver

2. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Not uncommon especially with older modular wheels. I believe there was a campaign on this however, I would assume too much time has elapsed for factory participation.

Modular Wheel Inspection and Maintenance

Two & Three piece modular wheels require periodic maintenance. You'll want to work out your own maintenance schedule, but here's an example of what the manufacturer recommends.
    Each Season disassemble, thoroughly inspect, clean, re-seal, and re-torque each wheel:
    Replace wheel bolts each season
    Wheel Bolt Torque:
    1/4" bolts 15 ft/lbs. or 180 in./lbs
    5/16" bolts 20 ft/lbs.
    After thoroughly cleaning all mating surfaces with an appropriate cleaner, add a thin skim coat of silicone sealant to these surfaces, assemble wheel and torque bolts to recommended torque
    Install a new valve stem
    Add a thick coat of silicone sealant to the drop center area of the wheel and let it cure for 24 hours before initial use

Auraraptor likes this.
  3. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks Drew. Maybe I'll just do it myself.

Joe

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I believe that this was the only official recall for 550s. It shoulda be taken care of a while back. You can find the recall notice on the DOT web page I believe.

Dale

5. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Good morning Fchat friends!

So anyone have HRE 3-piece wheels... I bought a set and have two that are leaking a significant amount of air each day.... I would assume the above procedure would work for these wheels? Any reason why not? Thanks in advance!

6. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    That's a standard procedure for rebuilding 3 piece.

If you want to drop rotational mass, you can replace the stainless hardware with titanium hardware.

Auraraptor likes this.