Who wants to play?? | FerrariChat

Who wants to play??

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 8 SNAKE, May 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, we've had a million "name that car" games. This one has a few different rules, but the end goal is the same: select the vehicle that makes the most sense.

My current DD is a Grand Cherokee (it's trail rated, Collin ;) ) with the 5.7L V8. I drive approximately 350 miles/week, and 90% of those are highway miles. My Jeep averages about 16/17 mpg. I don't need a new vehicle, but I'm tossing around replacement ideas. Thus far though, I haven't come up with much that would beat my Jeep (under my rules). The diesel-powered GC seemed appealing, but the price of diesel fuel blew that option out of the water. I'm open to suggestions, but the following rules are carved in stone:
    1. Must be four-wheel-drive AND capable of tackling something more demanding than a gravel road
    2. Must be able to accommodate two adults, two huge dogs and a weekend's worth of "stuff"
    3. Must be able to tow at least 3k lbs (won't tow often, but need the capability every now and then)
    4. Must have some level of refinement (Wrangler, FJ Cruiser need not apply)

2. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    Are you considering only NEW vehicles?

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Mercedes GL450, Range Rover, Toyota Land Cruiser?

4. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    AMC Eagle. :D

5. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nope, anything is fair game.

6. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    GL - 13/17 mpg
    RR - 12/18 mpg
    LC - 13/18 mpg

7. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Go for the diesel GL, don't have specs, but much better than 13/17 mpg. It is very pricey.

8. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Unfortunately, the price of diesel (over gasoline) nearly wipes out any fuel mileage advantages.

9. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    So true, I was thinking in terms of tree hug guilt and being less dependent on foreign oil.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Anything on the market would beat a Grand Cherokee as a daily driver...especially with 90% highway use. Get something that gets decent gas mileage and rent a truck on the rare occasion you need to tow...I would rather eat a butter bean out of a dog turd through a picket fence than be seen driving a Jeep

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    What is your minimum MPG requirement? Tahoe Hybrid might be the only thing that has a hope of getting over 20 mpg and towing 3 tons. And those things are questionable offroad, unless you do big tires/ lift kit, etc.

I agree with the above post...buy a sedan (or even a C5/C6 Corvette) for your 90% highway mileage and rent an SUV when you need that capability.

Also, buying a new car solely for increased mileage is almost always a losing proposition...sales tax, increased property tax, and depreciation kill any potential fuel cost savings. I've looked at trading my Jeep in for that reason and the numbers just don't add up.

12. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Frank, I can't quite figure out why you come into EVERY single SUV thread and spout the same dribble to an audience that simply doesn't care. You don't like SUV's. That's fine, but it's only your opinion. Just stay out of these threads and spend more time contemplating which V-dub you want to put in your garage. We'll all be happier.

13. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The problem with the Tahoe Hybrid (or any other hybrid) is that they shine in city driving. Out on the highway, I'd never recoup the premium that I'd pay for the hybrid technology. Also, I don't need to tow 3 tons, just capability of 3,000 lbs from time to time.

I use an SUV enough that I can't justify renting one every time the need comes up.

I completely agree with the last statement. I've run a lot of scenarios, including buying a commuter car to have in addition to my Jeep. Nothing pencils out.

14. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Mike,
    Have you considered an Xterra or a V6 Rav4? Most 4x4 SUV's get pretty ****ty gas mileage (compared to cars anyway). They can get over 20hwy (especially 4 cylinders), but city is usually around 17-19. Towing something or being off road will kill this. Even the Liberty gets over 20hwy.

15. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the suggestions. The Rav4 doesn't have enough interior volume to meet my needs (two Newfoundlands take up a LOT of space). The Xterra is an interesting option, but whenever I'm in one I find myself wishing for a bit more refinement. I'm probably best suited to hang onto my Jeep. I don't really have any complaints about it, and this is my second GC in a row. I think I'm probably just getting a bit bored with them.

16. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    While the refinement isn't really there, a Scout. Find one in good condition, restored, perfect.

17. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    The new Highlander comes in a 4wd and has a 5,000 pound optional tow package. 23 mpg highway. I haven't been in the new ones, but the old one was a nice vehicle.

Or you could step down to a 2wd and pick up a couple mpg.

For more money you could go with an FX35.

Or just keep the Jeep :)

18. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona

I saw one of these the other day and it looked really f'n nice. I know it's a "Buick", but I think it might be worth checking out. It comes in AWD too. Doesn't look like an old mans suv :) I'd imagine it would suite your off road needs as I know GC's don't do serious off roading :) It has a 4500lb towing capacity.

http://autos.yahoo.com/buick_enclave_cx_awd/