Who should replace Vettel? | Page 25 | FerrariChat

Who should replace Vettel?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Jul 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Who should replace Vettel?

1. Alonso

2. Rosberg

3. Button

4. Barrichello

5. Other (please mention)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I share this concern regarding to Leclerc. Ferrari now has someone who can attack and defend without spinning, but runs the risk of losing him. At least Binotto acknowledged that both drivers will start 2020 without any special treatment. Hopefully, Vettel will spend some time doing some soul searching over the next few weeks and realize that him retiring now would be the best thing for his newly grown family, himself, the tifosi, and Ferrari. If that's the case, put Alonso in the sister car for one or two seasons. I really hope Giovinazzi steps up, because he's another Ferrari man who would make a great addition to the team, if he can hang...

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Alonso ? Giovinazzi ?? LOL
    You really don't like Ferrari, do you ?

One is a certified troublemaker, the other a no-hoper !!!

Adrian Thompson likes this.
  3. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yeah, he was such a troublemaker that Ferrari extended his contract and were interested in extending it again, and then McLaren took him back.

I’ll reserve my judgement on Giovinazzi until the end of 2020. His potential is the reason he got the Sauber seat.

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    FDA have 5 guys in F2 2020, including ex F3 Shwartzman who will be alongside Schumi jnr ,and Armstrong.

No doubt they hoping to find that future star .I like the look of the Kiwi who could well find himself at Sauber in 2021,although beaten by the Russian to the title.

5. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Am I correct in saying Armstrong is the best of the prospects?

6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Time will tell ,see how they get on in F2 in their rookie season next year.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Ron Dennis must have had some misgiving about taking Alonso back, but he had to, at Honda's insistance.
    The Japanese were starstruck and thought a former WDC was necessary in the team.
    Honda even paid his salary themselves as part of the deal.
    I don't think their were very pleased with his attitude; he was largely responsible for the divorce between McLaren and Honda.

Giallo 550 likes this.
  8. Marco Polo

Marco Polo Rookie

Jan 14, 2017
    Cheshire, UK
    I've always liked Alonso right from his early days at Minardi in 2001 and admired his achievements. Unfortunately, his career has been dogged by controversy not all of which has been justified. The split between McLaren and Honda, as I recall, was primarily due to the unreliability of the Honda engine although Alonso did himself no favours by being so outspoken in his frustration. The Japanese traditional mentality of honour, discipline and devotion to a common cause did not endear them to such public criticism.

Ferrari could do a lot worse than taking him on again. It would be a mistake to have a young and thrusting newcomer brought in challenging Leclerc for the No.1 spot - Leclerc has shown that he has a high opinion of himself and is unlikely to respond well to that situation.

Marco

stavura and 375+ like this.
  9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I doubt he would like to be No2 to Teflonso .

william likes this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't think anyone in his right mind at Ferrari would contemplate hiring Alonso again, but there again ... this is Ferrari.
    He was uncapable to deliver the goods the last time at the Scuderia, and created bad feeling in the team.
    So why on earth would they wish to go through that again, 5 or 6 years later ?
    "A leopard cannot change its spots"

jpalmito likes this.
  11. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Giovinazzi is a nice guy but seems like he is at Sauber because he felt in the graces of Marchionne... He had a very impresive rookie year at GP2, almost becoming the champion, but the grid of that season was far from impressive. I also believe that he needs a chance to prove himself in 2020.

Of course not, it's Robert Schwartzman by a long margin.

12. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Gotcha, I've only been reading a little here and there about FYDA lately.

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Forget it. Mattia Binotto has just declared that Fernando came asking for a seat in Abu Dhabi for 2021, and that he has been firmly told that he is not part of Ferrari's future.
    And Louis Camillieri has declared that with the insuinations that Max Verstappen has made about Ferrari cheating, he must understand that he will never, ever be a Ferrari driver, period. Ferrari does not, and will not, forget these kind of words.
    (Although we all know that in Formula One, never say never...)
    Rgds

william and Adrian Thompson like this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Max has been aiming for a Mercedes seat for a long time, so getting a rebuke from Ferrari won't bother him too much.

If, Hamilton leaves F1 at the end of 2020 (and Mercedes stays) as some predict, I suspect that Toto Wolff will consider Ricciardo and Verstappen to replace him.
    They will both be at the end of their respective contracts by then.

15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ferrari will have signed options for 2021 on Lewis Max and Ricci by Spain 2020,trust me.

Unless Vettel performs some kind of miracle by then he is toast.

16. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    According to Leo Turrini who was at the Ferrari Christmas dinner two days ago, both camilleri and binotto were very sincere and direct on all subjects.
    When they spoke about Vettel, it looked like an old story without any kind of truth in what they are saying on him.
    Turrini deduced vettel maybe isn't in the plan anymore.
    Was pretty clear to him ( even if he didn't say that openly)

17. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    DF1 likes this.
  18. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

One last chance to evaluate appears. If after that then what? Suffer the year if he is deficient

19. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Really doubt a 39 years old Alonso could stand a chance against a one year more experienced Leclerc.

TurboFreak650 and william like this.
  20. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    What do they need to evaluate? He's already blown two championships and finished 5th this year. 3 long seasons filled with mistakes that shouldn't have been made.

2020 is going to be a carbon copy of 2019.

DF1 and william like this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think "evaluate" is a code word to mean they want to wait 'til the end of 2020, because there is no one that is available right now.

Being under more pressure, I expect Vettel to spin a lot next year !

DF1 likes this.
  22. gkan-hai

gkan-hai Rookie

Nov 13, 2009
    Daniel Ricciardo

jmillard308 likes this.
  23. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    And Fred couldn't beat Hamilton either. I'm putting a lot of faith in Max and Charles. Few bright spots elsewhere. :confused: