Who scraps their tires when 6 YRS. OLD?? | FerrariChat

Who scraps their tires when 6 YRS. OLD??

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by blkprlz, Oct 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Posted one of these vids on the Vintage section figuring these cars might sit around more...... & after 187 views, received no interest.
    Also, when I called Coker about tire decipher more than a year ago so I could find out how old my tires were, as well as the age of their stock of TRX's.........they said they'd get back to me---------never heard from them. I now know where to look on mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxlsKPCzjyw

And click on 'ABC Catches Retailers Selling Aged Tires' in the Related box...
    http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4813029

This is what I posted in Vintage, it's a lengthy 9+ min. but all I could find at the time.
    http://kazoodiver.blogspot.com/2008/09/6-year-old-tires-dangerous.html

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Coker maintains the Michelins are fresh production...

Goodyear continues to recommend 5 years of usability, so I try to drive on them more ...:)

3. rebirthauto

rebirthauto Karting

Mar 25, 2007
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Sebastien
    I might be dreaming, but i think i read a post that told of some aged TRXs currently selling as new. You'd think that for the price of these things, they'd spot you some that are fresh out of the oven.

sebastien

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've read the same post here on Fchat, it was posted a year or so ago. Someone here called and all they could find were 3 or 4 year old tires.
    I believe, but I'm not positive, that Jerry our resident Coker rep says they now have new TRX's in stock.

"...........ooooooooo Jerrrrrrry are you out there?..............."

5. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    What is the manuf. date on the tires if I were to purchase a set from them now?

As mentioned earlier, I never heard from them....and I didn't want to pay for all that shipping to only find out I got an aged set.
    I probably still have 3+ yrs. of tread left as we speak, I've got to yank the wheels off to find the date.

6. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    mine only last a few years :)

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You shouldn't have to its on the sidewall.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think the only make a run of them (Michelins) every two years or so........

9. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    My understanding is that it is stamped on the inside side of the tire, car is just to low to cram my head under. Now that I think about it, I'll just jack the car up.

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #10 dstacy, Oct 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think it should be right in front of your eyes.

Tires Manufactured Since 2000

Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year.

Example of a tire manufactured since 2000 with the current Tire Identification Number format:

In the example above:
    DOT U2LL LMLR 5107
    DOT U2LL LMLR 5107 Manufactured during the 51st week of the year
    DOT U2LL LMLR 5107 Manufactured during 2007

While the entire Tire Identification Number is required to be branded onto one sidewall of every tire, current regulations also require that DOT and the first digits of the Tire Identification Number must also be branded onto the opposite sidewall. Therefore, it is possible to see a Tire Identification Number that appears incomplete and requires looking at the tire’s other sidewall to find the entire Tire Identification Number

The use of a partial Tire Identification Number on the one sidewall reduces the risk of injury to the mold technician that would have to install the weekly date code on the top sidewall portion of a hot tire mold.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #11 dstacy, Oct 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tires Manufactured Before 2000

The Tire Identification Number for tires produced prior to 2000 was based on the assumption that tires would not be in service for ten years. While they were required to provided the same information as today’s tires, the week and year the tire was produced was contained in the last three digits. The 2 digits used to identify the week a tire was manufactured immediately preceded a single digit used to identify the year.

Example of a tire manufactured before 2000 with the earlier Tire Identification Number format:

In the example above:
    DOT EJ8J DFM 408
    DOT EJ8J DFM 408 Manufactured during the 40th week of the year
    DOT EJ8J DFM 408 Manufactured during the 8th year of the decade

While the previous Tire Identification Number format identified that a tire was built in the 8th year of a decade, there was no universal identifier that confirmed which decade (tires produced in the 1990s may have a small triangle following the Tire Identification Number to identify the decade).

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Does that help?

13. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    A super thanks Dave, it did help. I was aware of the 3 digit (pre 2000) & 4 digit (from 2000 on) coding/decipher, & it was on the outside side of the tire as you said.
    I came up w/3 tires 526 & one @ 234, I figured these tires had been on for some time, hence the reason for the thread. I do love to drive fast, I might be flurting w/danger. B.

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Uh oh! Thats not very good.

I'm betting that a bunch of Fchat 400 owners go out and check the tires this weekend and 1/2 of them are running 10 year old tires. :eek:
    Pretty scary

15. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Bruce,

That's almost 12 and over 14 years old. You are driving on hockey pucks.

On the other hand, I think my spare is original...1965...

Regards,

Art S.

16. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Art,
    They don't feel like hockey pucks, although I have treated the tires w/Leatheriques products that have made them really soft and stick like gumballs (as the chemist @ Leatherique described it to me when I was experiencing some issues w/their product). I really have to throw that car around to get it to skidpad limits. Those TRX's really handle well, although I'd love to have Pirellis P-Zeros.
    Yeah, that's an old spare alright. Mine looks original as well, I'd be curious as to the date coding on yours (if they even had it back then).
    Bruce