Who owns a jeep? | FerrariChat

Who owns a jeep?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by pingi3, Jan 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Anybody here own a wrangler?

Thinking of picking up a 2011 Sahara in tan tomorrow. Looking to make it my work car. Any feed back.

Thanks

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #2 GuyIncognito, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
    I owned a Wrangler for six weeks.

hilarious fun off road.

royal PITA on-road. the only car I've been scared to drive on the highway.

for someone used to high-end luxury cars, I wouldn't recommend as a DD.

edit: there's a Jeep thread in "American Muscle", might want to check that out

3. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Thanks Guy. The rolls is my DD but I need a hunting/work/run to the mall auto.

Thanks again ;)

4. Doctor7474

Doctor7474 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor
    #4 Doctor7474, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
    I owned a 06 Rubicon for a few years.

The new JK model is substantially better as far as compfort and daily driving vs the TJ and older models (JK = 07+ TJ = 97-07).

If you are going to put tires over 33" on the Jeep I suggest getting the Rubicon as they have much stronger axles in the front end than the base - Sahara models do.

Sahara is just a appearance and convenience package nothing mechanical.

The downfall of the new Wranglers is the engine, they are a huge turd with the current V6 in them, to the point the older Jeeps with the inline 6's are substantially faster and quicker. The new Pentastar V6 is coming next year in the Wrangler. I would not waste my money on a current Wrangler, in fact I am waiting for the new engine before purchasing one.

My personal preference is way until the 2012 models arrive with the new engine and get a Rubicon. With the Rubicon stock for stock no other 4wd on earth current production models can keep up with it off road, the axles are much stronger, the transfer case is much stronger, and you can put 35" tires on them with out worry of breaking axles. Yes the Rubicon is not as nice looking (painted top, painted bumpers and flares, and seat/interior colors) as the Sahara, but they are much more rugged and capable.

Just my opinion.

The biggest forums for Jeep is www.Jeepforum.com tons and tons of info there, go do searches and read in the JK section.

What the Rubicon (which is the top of the line Jeep) has that the other models do not:
    Dana 44 front and rear axles (much stronger than the Dana 30 that comes in the front of the other models which is prone to break axles if you put on tires over 33")
    Stock 31" tires
    Gear based limited slip differential in the rear.
    Manual locking front and rear differentials (button on dash to lock the front and rear differentials basically locking the wheels side to side to put maximum power and traction down in very hard off road situations).
    4:1 transfer case (lower gears than the other models).
    Electronically disconnect front sway bar (disconnects the front sway bar when off road to allow more front suspension articulation)
    4:11 gears front and rear.

5. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    i had a '42 ford GPW but i guess that doesn't count as a jeep anymore......

and yes, it would go most anywhere reasonably well, but i would imagine it seemed way slow when a bunch of guys were shooting at you....

6. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    #6 pingi3, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    just test drove a sahara with tan leather. I will not believe that that is leather my behind sat in. Felt worse than the MB Tex they used to put in the Benz's. Liked the cloth way better.

You are right. No power! But mine will only see minor off road use so no bigger axle needed. I think it will be what most real Jeepster's call a "mall cruiser."

It will get some sort of lift to put on bigger wheels but I think I will keep it mild. Looks like a G Wagon ;)

If they will do 33K drive out I will pick one up tomorrow.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    #7 pingi3, Jan 23, 2011
  8. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I drove a 92 YJ as my daily driver for 10 years and 250K miles. I lifted mine 3 and 1/2" with springs and 1" body lift. re-geared it to 4.10's, put on 33" tires, slip-yoke eliminator, locking hubs, Warn 9000# winch, on-board air compressor after market front & rear bumpers with swing away tire carrier, dual optima red tops, MSD ignition, relocated air intake, and a bunch of little stuff. All the work was done by my self in the driveway. Spent many many happy days in that Jeep off-roading all over the south east.

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Looks nothing like a G Wagon

10. wendys is good

wendys is good Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2005
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I can see the G-wagon comparison. Obvisouly not perfect matches, but same profile.

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    is that the same car as the previous pic? did they just put new wheels/tires on it or did you get all the mods done that quickly?

12. canadiantifosi

canadiantifosi Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2008
    uh...guess...
    Full Name:
    Canadian Tifosi Sr.
    Have had four Jeep TJs (Wranglers in America) and still have an old 4 litre for my kids to boot around in. Pretty much maintenance free even when they get elderly.

Jeeps have always been fun and reliable but still rough around the edges, even the newest models.

I picked up my second Toyota FJ Cruiser a few months ago. 6 speed, full time 4WD base model. INMHO, nothing touches it for ride, power and off-roading.

Hope that Toyota keeps on making the FJ Cruiser as I change vehicles every 2-3 years and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

13. Bullitt44

Bullitt44 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Westlake, OH
    Full Name:
    Jon Sabo
    Good friend of mine picked up a '11 wrangler and really likes it. I checked it out and the '11 model isnthe best jeep I have seen yet, very surprising.

14. Bullitt44

Bullitt44 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Westlake, OH
    Full Name:
    Jon Sabo
    Very nice.

15. 1991

1991 Karting

Feb 25, 2009
    Winnipeg
    Full Name:
    Braeden
    What tires/rims are on this?

16. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    #16 pingi3, Jan 24, 2011

Sorry Guy.... That is a whole different jeep. I posted it cause the similarities to the G Wagon. That pic stands out to me also because I like the set up. I think those are 33's with no lift or if so, a very slight lift.

....I did pick up the same Tan Sahara today and have been looking at pics of jeeps all night. To confusing. I think I will do the lazy buy and go to my custom wheel shop tomorrow.

For guys who have modded their jeeps any feedback?

Here is a couple more I like.

17. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack

Wish I knew.

18. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    It is very refined. But I can see why old school Jeep guys don't like it.

19. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1; especially in silver.

I'm hoping to replace my Liberty with a Wrangler Unlimited in the next year or so but depends on gas prices and my commute among other things.

20. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Congrats!

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ah, gotcha.

mine had a lift kit, 33" tires, flowmaster exhaust, etc. it was that way when I bought it. I don't recall which suspension/wheel/tire components it had.

find someone who really knows Jeeps who can do it right, without destroying the alignment, putting undue stress on toe links, bearings, etc. in other words I wouldn't necessarily trust your local tire/wheel guy with an off-road Wrangler any more than I'd trust him to do a corner balancing and alignment on a 430 Challenge race car.

22. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack

I have found out so far that the tires are 34's and the wheels are Pro Comp but not sure on model.

I pm'd the guy. Will let you know.

23. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Your right... I am going no lift with 33's or 34's.

Now take a pic of your jeep jumping over your 911.

24. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    my Wrangler is long gone....but it was amusing seeing them parked next to each other.

25. Doctor7474

Doctor7474 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor
    Sorry I just can't stand the painted top's and flares. Jeeps are supposed to be rugged looking and stuff. The vast majority of Jeep enthusiasts took to the new Jeep upgraded exterior (painted top) and interior like this forum is taking to the FF.

My 06 Rubicon I had, stock for the most part except bumpers, winch, and a 2" spacer lift on the front to level it out after the heavy front bumper and winch install.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]