Who Knows which California Spyder was owned by Alain Delon ?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Who Knows which California Spyder was owned by Alain Delon ??

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Impuls2000, Nov 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I've asked the UK media rep whether the pics of the chassis stamping and plate will be forthcoming...

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Nice of you Ed, thanks. It should simply be the first thing they had published. I mean, the car is estimated between 9,5 and 12 millions €uro. Anyone reaching in his pocket for that kind of money would want to be sure of the car identity, no?

Rgds

3. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    It does seem a missed opportunity that they haven't even released a photo of the interior yet, despite the fact that it has already had a studio shoot.

That said, I imagine the latter may be for the next issue of Octane coming on 24 Dec - a dozen pages on this discovery; so perhaps they have an exclusive on the interior pics? Who knows.

4. flumpy

flumpy Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    Where's Marcel Massini?

5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Yeah, I am interested in what Marcel has to say especially since he was so adamant about the fact that Delon never owned a 250 SWB Cal Spyder. Perhaps he did not have information on this particular car at the time.

6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #32 kare, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    When a $10M car is lost you can't trust anyone. Several people were desperately looking for this car and these people would not want more people into the game and asking Delon about it. Delon would only tell them that he reimported the car back into France before selling it - and might even have been able to give further leads on where it was now...

7. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    $10M ?? I bet this car will be sold for twice...

8. Nike

Nike Rookie

May 8, 2011
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Niklas
    #34 Nike, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

interesting thesis. sounds very possible. I would conjecture a guess that the car will bring north of $10mm.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

great pics!!

11. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    With the information available since 2008, I do not believe anyone will be able to refute that Delon owned 2935GT.

The only other proof needed is whether this car really is 2935GT (although given the ownership chain, the location of discovery, and its appearance/condition from people I have spoken to who have seen it first-hand, I believe it almost certainly is).

Artcurial's rep says more pics will undoubtedly come out 'between now and the sale'. Why they didn't just showcase the numbers with the exterior pics, I do not know. Mind you, there are no interior pics released yet either.

Octane has its own set of pics of this car, as well as the exclusive on the print story (Classic Driver had the exclusive on the online story). Octane mag will be out on 24 Dec I'm told - confirmed 13-page spread on this discovery.

12. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #38 torquespeak, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  13. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
  14. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That looks like Sunset Blvd based upon the photo

15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Delon moved to California when filming "Once a thief" and took the car with him.

16. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    The reg plate with Delon is from Monaco !

17. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Now, the french plate with the car (LV 79) is from 1971.

18. Diablo_4_Ever

Diablo_4_Ever Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Netherlands
    Artcurial auctioned Delon's Testarossa at Rétromobile 2013; it seems likely that they have discussed this car with him before

19. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Was this one of those "we can't open the barn until the old man dies" type of deals? In respect of the picture with the Ferrari California in the foreground I don't see any cars of distinguished pedigree in the background, though the garage picture has a Maserati of 50s or '60s age sitting next to it. I would have to see more "classics" to believe it is the real thing, or it could be like when con men use shotgun shells to fire gold into a mine to make it look like the mine has lots of gold (did the Americans invent that trick?). Has anyone tried to trace the fragmentary license plate that's visible?

Here's another picture but this one is with Bardot
    http://lh3.ggpht.com/-AvLv1FuU3pE/UPgWK-9viRI/AAAAAAAAKY0/dmnb1-_lp5Y/Image.png?imgmax=800

Or this one with Bardot
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-x8aOsj1uex8/VAL8ysCiOLI/AAAAAAAAKVg/89qFf1KFx54/s1600/Delon_Fonda_back2.jpg

Has the auction already taken place? The story I found was published only 14 hours ago...

20. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    like he sometimes is accused of in real life

In 1968 he was embroiled in a murder, drug and sex scandal that indirectly roped in major politicians and show-business personalities, but was cleared of all charges.

Also that same year his bodyguard was found outside his house, murdered, but Delon was off in St. Tropez.

More recently his son was accused of being involved in a murder.

The cars just sit there, oblivious of the drama in the life of their owners...

21. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Auction isn't until Feb. 6th, 2015 so you guys have plenty of time to break your piggy banks.
    Here's some of the cars. But fair warning, they don't look too well preserved....

Talbot
    Lago T26 Grand Sport coupé Saoutchik
    Collection Baillon, © Artcurial
    Hispano Suiza H6B cabriolet Millon
    -
    Guiet
    Talbot Lago T26
    Record
    coupé Saoutchik
    Talbot Lag
    o T26 cabriolet Saoutchik ex
    -
    King
    Farouk

Now to answer my own question, I believe the California is real with all that expensive stuff in there with it. But I'd like to know what Baillon bought the California for, and what year and if he was selling stuff all along (though one story says he had one big sell off of 50 cars, these were the leftovers). I can't believe the European Ferrari collectors didn't know about this one!.

Here's the website with pictures of rustbucketos a la France

http://www.artcurial.com/pdf/presse/2015/cp-Collection-Baillon-en.pdf

22. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Read my post about the Frua on the Maserati section :)

23. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    No one mentioned that website that has Ferrari SN
    but under "Delon" the car that comes up is:

1663GT 60/jan/21 *** 47th ***

Ferrari 250 GT LWB California Spyder, LHD

Covered headlights, steel body

Chassis Tipo 508D

Engine Tipo 128F

Gearbox Tipo 508C/525

Date Result Event Driver # Reference
    60/feb - .........., Roma, I
    61/oct/12 - Alain Delon, Roma, I (F)
    62/dec/11 - ...................., I
    6. - ..............., I
    66/may/25 - exported to USA
    93 - Oscar Davis, Elizabeth, NJ, USA

It doesn't list Gerard Blaine as the first owner.There were more subsequent owners but since this car was brought Stateside in '66 it couldn't be the same one.

24. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Or possibly Beverly Drive in Beverly Hills.