Who knows Northstar engine/trans layout/design? | FerrariChat

Who knows Northstar engine/trans layout/design?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Meister, Jul 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I'm doing some research into a possible winter time project....please just indulge me =)

The premise is to do an engine swap into a mid engine car (not a Ferrari) with a Northstar engine.

Scouring pics of engines on E-bay it appears that in some of the FWD Caddy's and Pontiacs that Northstars were put into, the engine is forward of the centerline of the driveshafts??? Very simlar to the overall layout of 308 series engines. As such if a person were to take a FWD Northstar engine, keep it in the same overall orientation as it was used to power the Caddy/Pont and put it into a mid engine car (not a Ferrari) the engine would be forward of the drive shafts...Y/N?

Also the Northstar with the auto stick is a fly by wire application?? There is no physical connection between the stick and trans?

Thanks!

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I've thought that a Northstar might make a good powerplant in a scratch-built mid-engined car. I've never done any of the detail work however.

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Contact Eric at Autozone 248 6462886 http://www.autozonehobbies.com/ . Eric's dad , Steve Pasteiner, designed and built his own mid-engined car, the " Helldorado" based on using a Cadillac Northstar . Eric can hook you up with his dad Steve . Good luck , and keep us posted !

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  5. 355Luver

355Luver Karting

Dec 8, 2006
    same state as Gotham
    Full Name:
    ECJ
  6. Lee in Texas

Lee in Texas Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2006
    near Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators should be able to help with just about anything you need.

http://www.chrfab.com/

7. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    #7 johnei, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  8. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    #8 XR4Tim, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Old thread, I know - but a Northstar might be a good fit for a tired Lotus Esprit...

10. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I'm gonna overlook that suggestion....

11. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    you're right, a 1gen lexus v8 would be more appropriate :D

in seriousness....the northstart family engines are not well supported aftermarket, but then no more then the 1gen lexus v8 is
    the northstar 'can' be made to work in longitudinal setup, where the lexus is already

the thing about either choice is, that a current LS engine can outperform either, and is heavily aftermarket supported

the northstar does make good sense for swap into a fiero....my take on the fiero, is that it's a cool little car on it's own, i'd enjoy a well built one in the IMSA style bodywork :)

12. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #12 rdefabri, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
    Well the 1UZFE is a great engine, but you need a transaxle.

The Northstar is used in the Fiero because it came from front wheel drive Caddies, hence it has a transaxle that eases swapping to a mid-engined, RWD car.

The 1UZFE has been kicked around as a swap for an Esprit, but not for the faint of heart. The Northstar, which has been used successfully in MR2, Fiero and Esprits, would be a far easier path. Here's a video of a Northstar V8 Esprit:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhTOTss1o7c[/ame]

These guys specialize in Northstar parts: http://www.chrfab.com/

13. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Blasphemy I tell ya!!!! Why would anyone in their right mind bastardize an Esprit with a lump like a Northstar?? I'm not unfamiliar with the Northstar as my folks had one in their Caddy and they make good power but they consume oil like a camel consumes water and not to mention the extra weight, complexity of install, all the rewiring headaches etc etc.

I have seen Turbo Esprits with a upgraded fuel system and upgraded turbo make over 400rwhp on stock internals. I love Lotus and the Esprit too much to agree that a NorthStar swap is anything more than sheer insanity.

Rant over.

14. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Definitely complexities, but I guess if the Lotus motor needs work, I hear they are pretty expensive to work on.

But I agree - I like the 4-cyl turbos. Not an Esprit expert, but my understanding was they were designed for an 8-cyl from the get go.

Just a thought on increasing power, keeping maintenance costs low. If you are a shade tree mechanic (I am), might be a cool project...

15. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada

ya, as said, transverse vs longitudinal

neither has "a lot" of aftermarket support, so they're not cheap to hotrod, the cost of swapping in a northstar likely is same or more $ then working the stock lotus 4 banger

the OEM 4 banger isn't easy nor cheap to work on, but as said, can have significant power made....the lotus chassis was never designed or intended for a v8.....the late model v8 esprit required significant engineering

for that matter, if one was to hotrod a late model lotus, IMO an alloy LS engine from GM would be a better "relation" as those models already had many GM parts....not to mention more bang for buck....probably lighter too

16. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    As I recall reading, the original plan called for both a V8 and a 4-cylinder. Financially they couldn't justify the V8 until later, but original Esprit plans included a V8. The area behind the glass is more than capable of housing one (but of course you'd lose the extra "space").

Yup - can't believe it hasn't been done yet. Heck, there was a racing Elise that had the LT5...

I may be a shade tree mechanic, but I'm no shade tree engineer. Too much for my feeble mind.

17. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada

hm, i've never read/heard that before? it's possible

the last engine swap i've done was LT1 into an XJS, different bag to be sure, but the LS is more compact then the northstar (width too) and all alloy, a LS3 would be kool.....the weakest link of the late model lotus esprit is the transaxle, so my $ would be to change that out, even if the OEM engine retained IMO

18. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I just realized - Corvettes from the C5 on have a transaxle, that could work, no?

Again, no engineer, but that would make for a killer Esprit with easy to find parts and reliability...

19. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada

unfortunately not, the c5/c6 transaxle is situated engine-gearbox-differential ....making it way to long
    vs. engine-differential-gearbox ...which is how lotus(renault)/hewland/ferrari/porsche transaxles are arranged

if it was me, i'd look at renegade transmissions, and get a g50 (porsche 930/911/turbo)....expensive, but nearly bullet-proof transaxle

also, there are quite a few LS engine kits for fitting g50 engine (lots used in replica industry)