Who Is Ron Pratt? | FerrariChat

Who Is Ron Pratt?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by badges2, Jan 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #1 badges2, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm watching the Barrett Jackson Auction again on SPEED and I'm curious about this guy. Who is Ron Pratt? This guy buys a ton of cars and bikes. Is he a collector or does he buy for someone else? Also, does anyone have any pics of the collection he must have built over the years?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Google Pratt and Miller.

3. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Okay, I've heard of that company. Do you know anything about his collection?

4. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Stop guessing please.....The Pratt of Pratt & Miller is GARY Pratt, not our local boy Ron Pratt. We all know where is collection is held (quite an amazing building, even from the outside) but he seldom opens it to anyone...occasionally local clubs get a peek.

5. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Heres I found out on google...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070120193131AAIjclG

6. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    No ideas as to his collection though? After all of these years of him being there, it has to be extensive. Surely someone has been in there and got some pics......

7. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    I believe he has sold his company. He has many many cars and most likely you won't get a chance or see pics of them. His collection is private. I would think anyone that knows him well would respect that.

I do think he has overpaid for some cars though but he has some fine collection from what I have seen on tv.

8. big.bryant

big.bryant Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
    i can tell you that from watching the last cople of years he has a ton of cars... he has the Shelby Super Snake and i believe that he also has the first and second shelby GT's, mustang, etc.... when igoogled him i found that he has a business in arizona or nevada (can't remember now which one) but i know that he flies in his helicopter to the auction

9. big.bryant

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
    found this on yahoo

who is Ron Pratte?

Secretive, for sure. The Chandler, Arizona, man who submitted the $5 million winning bid for Carroll Shelby’s Supersnake Cobra has consistently refused media interviews, including to our editors. But he certainly knows what he wants and has the means to get it via the red-hot housing market in the American Southwest - specifically Phoenix and Scottsdale. As stockjockey over at the underthecounter blog points out, Ron owns Pratte Development Company, Inc., “one of the nation’s largest wood framing and concrete foundation companies.” So he builds houses for a living. In one of the fastest-growing areas of the country.

And while many in the car collector hobby know of Pratte mostly from last year’s $4.1 million purchase of the Futurliner bus, he’s no newcomer to the Mustang and Shelby scenes: He also bought the first Shelby GT500 last year for nearly $650,000.

10. Garymyman

Garymyman Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2008
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Gray
    #10 Garymyman, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
    Not that I expect a lot from the commentators of the B/J Auction, but I'm really sick of them kissing his rear every time he raises his gavel. "Ooooh look out, look's like Ron Pratte's bidding!" Give me a break. I don't know whether he's just got more money than sense or if he just likes buying things on television. Whatever his motive I don't really care for collectors who buy historical pieces and then lock them away as he does.

He does bid up a lot of those charity cars though, so good for him.

11. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    My bad!

12. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #12 teak360, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
    I assume since he is still buying cars he has sold his company, and is no longer in the "red-lot" housing market? Sounds like good timing for him if he got out with $ and not stock.

13. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

And thus this individual is part of the reason fun old cars are no longer affordable for common people who would enjoy actually driving them. The charity crap is a write off, puhleeze.

RMX

14. big.bryant

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
    if only they bought the charity cars because they want the money to do good.. IMO its basically a "who's cock is bigger/who can spend more money on tv" fight between these guys... sure the charity's get a ton of money because of it, but its not like thye do it for the sick kids/whatever

15. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    He just bought Jeff Gordon's Nascar, I forget what it sold for but I'm getting burned out on Barrett Jackson anyway. I had more fun watching Gooding & Company, much better cars.

16. big.bryant

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
    he has bought probably close to $18million in cars from BJ in the last 4 years.... too bad thats not even two months worth of pay for him

must be nice

17. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Must be an amazing collection.
    I wonder why he keeps it closed off. I would think someone who loves cars would love to share such a collection with others.

18. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Whoa, Chandler?!

Nerd, if he ever opens his collection to the public, please let us know :) I will respect his privacy though...even though it's killing me inside to see his collection :eek:

19. spg993tt

spg993tt Karting

Sep 10, 2006
    la la land
    Full Name:
    el guapo
    uh, dude...you realize you're taking aim at a guy who constantly is the high bidder on all the top charity auctions....who raises his own bids from 400k to 500k, on himself, so they can raise their targeted monies...who usually gives $100k checks before the auction to the charitable entities in advance, nothing to do with the cars.

there aint no tv fight with Ron Pratt. the guy is a class act. he dont wan to be bothered with the headache and fanfare. he dont want to be interviewed. he dont want his cars reviewed, and scrutinized. he just freakishly found himself owning a hugely successful company, made huge coin, good for him, and he spends it on the things we love the most...all the while helping to raise millions and millions in a cool environment, bidding on the worlds greatest cars.

that dude is a pric k.