Who is Kirk F. White? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Who is Kirk F. White?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Teenferrarifan, Sep 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. URY914

URY914 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Temple Terrace FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #26 URY914, Sep 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2016
    Well not really...After 1971 the FIA changed the 5 liter rules and the new engines were 3 liters therefore the 512 could not raced again. The factory "moved on" to the 312P because of the rules.

2. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Issue 84 had a write up on the Penske 512M (1040) by Marcel Massini.
    Issue 85 had the interview with Kirk F White by 'yours truly' - might be why I remember it.
    Nathan

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thank you brudda!

And a very nice article it was!

Glad we all gather here around the glowing VDT campfire, to help the younger lads!

It must have been in Donahue's book where he talked about the rivalry between the Factory and Penske team......

I gotta get my Cavallino's in order they are scattered everywhere around the room here......

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I found an interesting note that he "sponsored" an informal time trial on the Pennsylvania Turnpike during it's early days in the late '40's.

Don't know if it's true or not, but sure seems likely.

I have both Cav's, and as I'm seeing Erik this Friday, I'll bring them along for him. I also have a copy of a restoration he supervised on a 250, (Can't recall which one at this moment)

Dave

5. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Had a nice chat with KFW at an FCA track event at Sebring a couple of years ago- he was the speaker at dinner. When I reminded him of a 250 LM that my dad and I passed on at what I thought was the first KFW Auction, he corrected me- in fact it was sold at the second auction (maybe 1971?) . . . for $10,500 as I recall!

6. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Kirk was never a West Coast dealer or distributor nor was he a factory dealer,so far as I know. (Correct me if I'm wrong). But he was certainly a dealer in many great cars. He used to send out a newsletter that was mouth-watering! They were so fascinating that I used to collect them the way people collect Cavallinos now. If you look in Hemmings, you'll see his ads for high-end hot-rods

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Brock Yates' Cannonball book made him sound more like a used car type dealer, not a Factory store which would have been Chinetti in New York, I suppose.......obviously not your local corner lot as he was dealing race machines like the 250LM and the aforementioned 412P!!

The Daytona was a trade in or such and was gold metallic, as his team colors were the dark blue of the 512, a "quicky respray" was applied, some pinstriping, and they were off to the Cannonball event....

8. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    #33 400iGuy, Sep 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In Prancing Horse the First 150 Issues by Jeff Allison Dick Merritt makes mention of Kirk F. White and his first auction.
    http://www.ferrariclubofamerica.org/ph150_first150issues.cfm

He advertized a Daytona or two a few years ago, I remember the ads. $115K as I recall. Wish I knew then what I now now!

Kirk was at the 2004 Winter Park Concours with a historically significant '55 Thunderbird. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of the posted description of this car and I don't remember the details. I had hoped to talk with him but before I got over there I got flattened by a kindney stone. I hope he's there this year so I have the opportunity again. http://www.winterparkconcours.com

Al
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. wolfchen75

wolfchen75 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    What ever happend to Ron Spangler & Prancing horse farm ? He bought a few cars from me in the early 1980's and I lost rack of him after the crash of 1990

Kirk F. White still advertises in Hemmings just not Ferrari cars, last thing that I recall was a Sunbeam Tiger

10. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
  11. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Why did he get out of f-cars?
    Erik

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I saw that car at Le Mans in 71, one of the best prepared car I had ever seen. Rumours had it at the time that Penske and Donohue did all the conversion work (from S to M) themselves and that Ferrari refused to provide parts because Penske had sent the engine to be worked-on at Traco. A sacrilege for Ferrari.
    The body with large rear wing was made in US, and Donohue overhauled the chassis with new wirring, suspension, quick refuelling system, etc...
    Fantastic preparation at the time that set standards among other teams...

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    For interesting stories about the TRACO vs Ferrari rebuilds get a copy of Mark Donohue's biography and read it. Mark had little good to say about Ferrari and their support of people racing their cars. Bottom line he said it was a great car. Bullet proof and easy to drive but Ferrari couldn't rebuild a motor to save their souls. That book is a great trip down memory lane, good read or reread.

14. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    Ron Spangler and Prancing Horse Farm are alive and well. See the current (9/23/06) FML for the full page ad of 0022M, a 166M Touring Barchetta.

a. g likes this.
  15. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Just got an email from Kirk.

I'm hoping he'll post into this thread soon.

DM

16. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    COOL DAVE GOOD WORK BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Erik

17. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Kirk has asked me to post this for him. He's running around but intends to get on with us here shortly after his return from Hershey. Here's his entire note:

So, stay tuned, I'm sure there are some interesting stories coming our way.

Dave M.

18. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#43 dm_n_stuff, Oct 6, 2006
  19. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Good work Dave!! I wonder what that tank like thing sold for? I haven't seen it around the Main line have you? lol
    Erik

20. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#45 dm_n_stuff, Oct 6, 2006
    It was, as I recall, a WWI French tank. Only ran in reverse...

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

The kids from Valley Forge Military Academy thought it was pretty cool.

DM

21. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    #46 rcraig, Oct 6, 2006
  22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Man, that's AWESOME work there, Dave!

Under the 6 degrees of seperation there is another pic of the French tank here, in Mrs. BuggatiArt's thread on Napolis' P4/5 in Paris!

Her daughter is standing on it......;)

23. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I knew that name sounded familiar! I met him at reading in may. Was he big in the ferrari business as well?
    Erik

24. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    DM N Stuff:

Better than a French rifle that was dropped once & never used! I also
    couldn't contain myself! Sorry!

Mark

25. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I saw and spoke to Kirk today at Hershey. He has a nice set up there and looks great.

David