Who else is camping out for the PS3/Wii? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Who else is camping out for the PS3/Wii?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ItaliaF1, Nov 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    Amazon had the 20gb models for sale(from Target) for only a few minutes. I got an email about and made the order as quickly as I could. It will be delivered(overnight shipping) on Tuesday!

2. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C
    Guy I work with said that he heard on the news that Sony **IS** going to release another 600,000 of them before Christmas. I cant confirm that personally.

3. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    I just walked into Walmart & bought my PS2 with NO LINES & ALL THE GAMES IN THE WORLD!!!! $125 for the console, & $10-$20 per game!!!!

:)

4. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I got two... they're on eBay, of course.

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    There are about a dozen people outside the local Target waiting for Wii, including a few tents!

6. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Along with PeeWee, I just happened to be surfing Amazon.com and I saw the 20gb available...

I ordered three of them, and then called amazon service to see whats up.

The CS rep told me that Target was going to sell the 60gb in stores and the 20gb online, and amazon.com and target.com sell in unison. Well, they got the go ahead from target to sell before they put it live on target.com, and Amazon.com customers sucked up the entire allocation in about 30 minutes. That was 10,000 units!

She said the orders were for REAL units, not preorders and that Target had assured them they had 10k units on hand to sell on the website, so that's what Amazon did, listed 10k for sale and sold 'em all.

I got lucky... I'll sell two and keep the third for me, and probably get to keep it free and buy a pink iPod Nano for my girl for "free" :)

7. jordanair45

jordanair45 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
    No way!

Well, no camping for me. I was going to buy two more, but instead gave my two spots are Target to my brother in law. I woke up Friday morning and picked up my pre-orders. It was MADNESS everywhere, lol. I haven't played it yet, I might sell or keep, I am not sure yet.

As for people reselling...wtf. I saw grandmothers waiting in line with hopes of re-selling. Um, oversaturation of the market anyone? People are going to be crushed because they are going to get maybe an extra 200-400 for 4 days of camping? The days of re-selling are over. I thought I would never say this, but people aren't that stupid anymore.

As for cheap prices on ebay...I would not buy a PS3 on ebay. Way too much of a risk. PS3 fanboys are also sabotaging auctions because they are bitter of not getting a PS3.

As for 1 million units by the end of the year. If they could not get out 400K units, it is highly unlikey they are going to get 600K more out to N.A., especially with the European and Japanses markets still wanting more.

My market prediction. You should have sold yesterday. From now on, prices will continue to fall, then, when people finally realize that Sony could not and did not get out 600K more units, then the prices will rise again in a despiration to get one for Christmas.

I can't wait to break this out Thanksgiving day.

8. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah, it was kind of funny, as there are supposed to be 18 billion of them by Christmas, but I guess that they just wanted to play it tonight rather than getting one tomorrow or Monday. They were mostly young teens, and I'd say a third of them were girls/women.

9. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht

Pretty much agree with all that. Most of the waiters seemed to be college students who are

A) Off for thanksgiving
    B) Broke
    C) Have plenty of time
    D) Known to do dumb things

I think thats why it got so nuts.

On the Wii, supposedly Nintendo is shipping several hundred thousand on launch day, and likely 100k units per week after that, or more. They say there should be NO problem for anyone who wants one to get one well before Xmas. Thats the smart way to do it - kill the hype before it starts :)

10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think they realized their blunder and then released statements saying the demand is voracious and you'd better act quickly or you may not get one... uh, yeah.

11. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    :)

I read an article the other day saying they did a comparative test between PS3 and Wii, and they got a "focus group" of 6 people. They all played the various systems and at the end of the day, everyone was crowded around the Wii. They said the graphics were barely better than Gamecube, but people didn't care.

They specifically mentioned a tennis game where 4 people were using the controllers to swat a virtual tennis ball in the air while the results were being displayed on the screen. I can see that. I can see the fun in that. The only two times I ever really lost my mind to a game was once when I took a week off work when I was 20yo to complete "Wild Arms" on the old PS1. I didn't intend to, it just sort of happened - started it on the weekend, and every day I woke up and played it all day until I finished it. That was a bad experience. The other time was when I stayed up until 4am playing Super Mario Cart with my brother. We just kept playing again and again. THAT was a good experience. It was not the graphics, but the gameplay.

Nintendo is famous for gameplay.

I'll end up with all three. The Wii for Zelda and Metroid, the PS3 for that F1 game, and Xbox to complete the waste-of-money triumvirate. XBOX has good games too, though. Then I can just pick and choose the games that look really cool, and ideally get mod-chips for each (or whatever hacks come out) so I can "backup the games I bought and own myself" and play them off burned DVD's!

12. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Am I the only person that prefers the older systems? I have a Nintendo 64 and I just recently got a PS-2... the new games are way to involved and complicated. When my friends and I are sitting around drinking before going out to bars the simplest games always turn out to be the most fun.

Sucks about the thugs though... my mom was telling me she saw on the news tonight that some kid waited days in line only to get robbed at gunpoint in the parking lot while putting the system in his trunk.

13. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Uh? Isn't that the point of a bar?

Mike -I hear you, although I don't want the PS3. None of the Sony exclusives really appeals to me, I played GT a few times and was never that thrilled by it. But I want a Wii just to play when people come over.

14. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

This happened to me with the original version of Quake. I think I blew off an entire week once right after I got very early broadband service in 97. I played the original Quake up til about two years ago when I finally got rid of my last Win 98 machine. I miss that game and have often thought of buying a cheap laptop just to play it again.

RMX

15. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I was employed at the time at a software company. The IT manager was a good friend but a bad employee. He purchased several new top of the line machines and handed them out to the gamers in the office. We played Quake during lunch (and during working hours) probably 6 hours a day for about a month straight :)

On the subject of the thread, I ended up doing OK. I lucked out and scored three PS3's yesterday and then today I just happened to get on Amazon.com at the right time and get a Wii for $249.

Probably keep the Wii and a PS3, not sure.

16. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just found out my roomate managed to get a Wii :)

17. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Absolutely. Give me Genesis + NHL 94 anyday.

18. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Although it's not online yet, supposedly with the Wii you can buy NES, SNES, Genesis, Turbografx-16 and N64 games for $5-15 on their online service.

19. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Well no ps3 for me I was there but was no one of the lucky 6 :(
    I did however hang out the local toys R us with my friend gor the wii we were out there from about 8pm till 1:30am but they had 160 to sell and were were right around 100.

20. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, this is a great feature unique to Nintendo. Sony or Microsoft couldn't do this because they haven't been around long enough. When you think about it, the best games from the last 15+ years are available to you. I prefer the games I had for my NES and SNES to the games I have for my PS2.

21. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    What kind of crap was Walmart.com trying or did do today?
    They had in stock Playstation 3 bundles which was the PS3 w/ an extra control, 12 games, two movies, memory card all for $1,421.98. But the thing is that when you add the total at the bottom then the price went over $1,900... I called customer support and they told me that yes they had them but, when I asked them why were they charging about $500 on top then the customer service woman said, yes that is the price. I told her that they can't sell them over their real cost and then she claimed that the $500 was the shipping cost, WTF!!! I told her that she was wrong so she then said, "is there anything else I can help you with? I don't see in my screen what you're saying, Well good afternoon.."

Did anyone else try or did buy from them today?

22. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Walmart doesn't offer layaway for their customers anymore. It will be interesting if those bundle packs sell for as much as they market them for.

23. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Why can't they charge over MSRP???

It may not be good for business, but they can charge whatever they want.

24. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    Well, my PS3 was supposed to ship today, BUT...YOU GUESSED IT! IT DIDN'T! According to customer service and the rest of the internet, Amazon didn't get the shipment they were expecting from Sony. Everyone that ordered one is now hoping that Amazon gets them tomorrow so that the people who got overnight shipping(like me) will get it on Wednesday. I still haven't gotten an email about shipping from Amazon, but people are saying that we will get them(the emails) later tonight. I am REALLY hoping that they will ship them tomorrow. Good luck to everyone else trying to obtain one and I hope that you get them as soon as possible!

-John

25. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Word on the street is that the Amazon thing was a big mistake. They are cancelling orders left and right. Supposedly Target was expecting a batch that never arrived, and the orders are all pending and will only be shipped when stock comes in and they dont know when that will be.