Who else is camping out for the PS3/Wii? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Who else is camping out for the PS3/Wii?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ItaliaF1, Nov 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sinister007

sinister007 Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    san diego
    Full Name:
    nick
    Everywhere in Long Beach had a line. Even when the stores told people how many they actually had there were still extra people waiting inline in hopes that some would magically appear. i gave up on my attempts as sleeping in my bed is so much better than concrete.

NIck

2. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    There were about 500 people online at the circuit city last night by union square. Cops out and everything. There were about 100 the night before. I think i'll wait till next year.

3. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Totally impossible to get ps3s anywhere. I'm getting one tomorrow though and paying 4 times over retail. Yes, I'm a sucker but pwning noobs online on a next gen system is priceless to me.

4. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Let the shootings begin!

Armed Thugs Shoot 1 Person Waiting in Wal-Mart PlayStation Line

Friday, November 17, 2006

PUTNAM, Conn. — On the first day the much anticipated PlayStation 3 hit shelves in stores across the country, two armed thugs in Connecticut targeted game seekers with fat wallets, shooting one person waiting in a Wal-Mart line who refused to give up money, authorities said.

Police were still searching for the suspects.

The two tried to rob of line of people waiting to buy the new gaming console early Friday. They confronted a "bunch of people who were in line" outside a Wal-Mart store shortly after 3 a.m. and demanded money, said Lt. J. Paul Vance, a spokesman for the state police. The new Sony consoles are selling for around $500 to $600.

"One of the patron's resisted. That patron was shot," Vance said.

The two gunmen apparently fled, and the victim was taken to University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester. There was no immediate word on the victim's condition.

Short supplies of the PS3 and strong demand led to lines of buyers, some waiting for days, outside stores across the country. Sone promised only 400,000 systems, which went on sale at midnight.

Many stores reported calm.

But in Palmdale, Calif., authorities shut down a Super Wal-Mart after some shoppers got rowdy late Wednesday. In West Bend, Wis., a 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart. A Best Buy in Boston, aware it had only 140 of the consoles, got smart — employees gave out tickets to the first 140 people in line so everyone could go home.

Potential customers braved freezing temperatures in Fargo, N.D., and heavy rain and winds in Baltimore and other East Coast locations.

"Katrina could come through here and I wouldn't switch," said Marco Cajas, 20, of Baltimore. "I spent the night on the cold street."

At a Circuit City in New York, Sergio Rodriguez was the first to walk away with the PS3 as people still standing in line outside the store cheered. He had been waiting outside since Sunday.

"This is the best game ever. It's so worth the wait," the 25-year-old graphics designer said. "Some people may call me crazy, but I really love to play."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Uh, YES!

My wife said there was a brawl in Fresno outside a Best Buy that was on the news.

6. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    My friend and I camped out at Target on Wed@5(He got there at 5 I got there at 8).

He was number 3 and I was number 7. They had 16 total(10 60 gbs 6 20 gbs). Walmarts around here got 10, 6, and 5. Best buy got 26, Circuit City got 6, Sam's clubs got 2, Kmart got ZERO, Ebgames/gamestops got 4-5, Gamecrazy/hollywood videos got 1.

My friend and I were able to secure 2 60 gbs. Target was very nice and kept us fed and updated on info as they shipments came in. Despite telling us the at closing last night they only had 16 there were still 27+ in line the next morning! They are going on ebay to pay some bills!(I fronted the cash for a friend, both are mine).

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/16/ps3-crime-spree/ has some links to fights. Ejoy.

7. redheadedstranger

BANNED

Nov 1, 2006
    +Infinity.
    I make way more in 2 or 3 days, hell even 1 than I could ever sell a bug riddled game console for.
    This is bottom of the foodchain fodder. Let the little people have their fun. I find a fair amount of humor in both the low income individual who spends a week in line jsut to make a grand or so. And then the upper crusst idiot who will dish out 2 grand for something that is worth 500 bucks and will be plentiful in a few weeks.

Both imbeciles. Just in different tax brackets...

8. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Eh, kind of like a 360/430 car?

9. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was laughing my ass off when I saw the group of retards huddled together freezing their asses off looking like homeless people in front of Target last night...

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    SONY is now saying that 1 million units will be shipped to North America before Christmas. I'll just wait until the glitches have been addressed which may not be until this spring or summer. Btw, GT5 HD will not be out until sometime in 2008, no hurry for me then.

11. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    +1. The only reason I might buy a PS3 in the future would be just for GT5.

12. luxurybazaar

luxurybazaar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Where did you hear 1million before xmas?

13. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones

It's 1.1m between NA and Japan by the end of the year, so we're probably getting more than half of that.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/11/17/ps3-shortage.html

14. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    They make the line at the latest Star Wars movie look like a gathering of cool social sophisticates.
    I hereby coin the term "supergeek"!

15. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    I wish I was in the tax bracket that I could consider 52k a year "low income". :(

16. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

17. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    HAHa i didn't even know it came out today!! I will always be an XBOX fan plus no way i could afford that PS3.

18. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    $10,000?

I'm glad to see people aren't really going after these insane prices. The idoits who are buying the high "bundle" systems could get one for a lot cheaper, and just buy the games at retail.
    Good thing these people aren't running businesses.

Edited note: Could it be that the buyers of the systems are mostly sellers? Supply is much bigger than the demand?

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I didn't know the system would release this soon considering all the delays. I only found out a few days ago. Had I known earlier, I would've placed a pre-order and just picked it up today whenever. They showed some local tv stuff and some guy bought one, was offered $2k cash in the parking lot, sold it right there.

20. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I went today 6:00 am to the Sony store and at 6:30am at the mall and I was actually the first in line, there were about 300 people but the police was telling everyone to move along and to drive away and not to show up until 7:00am to get tickets. As I turned around to my car a wave of all those people came running with no regard for the policeman or security. There was tension and nobody was willing to do a formal line, not that was possible anyhow. I left in my F430 and was totally happy, but even more so when a girlfriend of mine who works at the mall told me that the only people to get tickets were the last in line. They switch the door in which to give the tickets and it happened to be exactly at the other end of the line :)

21. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Some online news forum, I'm trying to find the link but I think that many built brfore Xmas is highly unlikely.

On another note....
    Someone got their 15 minutes of fame

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yea, seen that done to the 360 when it first came out, too. Can't really say the joke is on the people who waited in line. The guy who destroyed it just gave Sony and Best Buy more profit because the guy in the line who didn't get one will eventually buy one. The guy pretty much just wasted his time waiting in line and over $2,000 if he sold that one (in addition to the other he is Ebaying). I guess if someone gets their jollies that way...

23. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...560635,00.html

24. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    The only way that video games could get more geeky is if they offer a "Civil War Reinactor" game cartridge complete with a bonus package of hard tack and beef jerky! Can you recite the "Geekysburg address"?!!!

25. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    I just ordered 2 online! WOO-HOO! (I have an email sent to me everytime an online store gets some in stock). I'm not sure how I had enough time to get 2, but I did. They come in next week. Good luck guys!

BTW, At about 2pm on Thursday, I checked 6 different stores-ALL FILLED.

-John