Who else is camping out for the PS3/Wii? | FerrariChat

Who else is camping out for the PS3/Wii?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ItaliaF1, Nov 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    Anybody else doing this? If so, what time are you getting to wherever you plan on buying one? Do you think getting to Best Buy at around 3 p.m. on Thursday would be early enough?

Thanks

-John

2. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Never done it before but personally I tend to think there may already be a line at that time. I have heard some people talking about going there and camping *2* days. Personally think its nuts but I guess some enjoy it :)

3. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think you have to get there at least 3 days early to "out-loser" all of the other losers.

4. luxurybazaar

luxurybazaar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm going at 6 on Thursday. I think more systems will be out there then people think.

400k is a lot. 100k more than the 360... people always seem to forget that.

5. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    I'm going to a rural costco thurs night... Gonna flip those SOB's on Ebay. My buddy did it with a couple 360's and made over $3k.

6. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Me and my friends are going to Target sometime Thursday

PS3 + Target + United Credit Card = Bonus miles + extra money for flipped PS3 on ebay :D

7. jsnazzy

jsnazzy Karting

Oct 16, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Justin
    After hearing about GT4HD and what they plan to do (Pretty much sell the game cheap, and its $.75-1.00 to unlock a car and $2.00-3.00 to get a track, G4TV estimates it would cost 400 dollars to fully unlock all of GT4), I have no want for a PS3 right now, not till MGS4 comes out

8. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    You guys really think you can get one going on Thursday? If so maybe I'll try it. I mean - look who sells them... Amazon, EBWorld, Circuit City, Frys, Costco, KMart, Target, Walmart, ToysRUs, BestBuy, Sams, and probably tons more. I bet there are thousands and thousands of those stores in the USA - Walmart alone has something like 3000 stores. I bet there are maybe 50,000 stores that will be selling PS3's, so I'd guess like 8 per store is about right.

The only question will be - does Walmart get more per-store than Target?? Who knows

9. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    lol

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    If it's a 24 hour Wal Mart, do you still need to camp out?

11. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    lol, yes. They wont let you stay inside for 24 hr.

12. luxurybazaar

luxurybazaar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Walmart has an ad saying each store will have atleast 10 60GB PS3s.

The Best Buy my friends went to last year for the 360 (Got mine pre-ordered) had 65 360s.

So with more PS3s, I'm guessing that store will have atleast that many PS3s.

The Best Buy I'm going to is new and not in a highly visited area. I'm guessing they'll have 30+ PS3s, with 20 or so 60GB. So If there are more than 15 people in line when I show up, I'll look elsewhere.

13. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    never understood the waiting in line for movies, toys, restaurants, etc especially when for some you can just wait awhile and walk right in!

14. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    My Target told me that they are getting 20 systems. So, I'll just call both of the stores before I leave for one of them and ask them how many people are already in line. I think it will work.

-John

15. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    The store Im camping out at is getting 27 units on top of the pre-orders they have. The PS3 isnt really that short supply really in north america. They are saying 400,000 units to north america? thats 100,000 more launch units then the 360 had last year.

16. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Well if it turns out right, I wont need to camp out to get the PS3 when it comes out. *Crosses fingers*

17. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I was at circuit city yesterday and they told me they are not doing preorders, and that they have been told they will be getting 12 PS3's (total).

He said the Wii will likely be LESS of them, but that the supply of Wii's should flow smoothly so they will get 10-20 per week all the way through XMas. He said Nintendo has told them do not worry, there will be enough Wii's to supply all who want them. Apparently Sony is not as optimistic and there are some doubts if there will be another shipment of PS3's between the launch and XMAS.

18. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I can really care less about the hype. For those that are going to get one & flip it on EBay, congrats to you. That’s seems to be the only reason people are getting into a rush to acquire a PS3. For some, it can help pay off credit card debit & make a fast buck. I'll wait a couple months until there is more software for these things (GT5 & F1 for starters) & all the bugs are taken care of. If anyone can remember every time they have a launch like this, some the consoles are not working properly & cause a massive product slamming. It’s going to happen again. Love them or hate it, people still want to get their hands on one.

Imagine paying $5,000 + for one of these things for little Billy only to find out Christmas morning it doesn't work, then going though the headache to trying to get a refund from an EBay seller that has already spent the money on vacation to Mexico. Until Sony can increase production & address the malfunctioning PS3’s, it maybe spring or Summer until the bad ones the November 2006 launch are addressed. For these reasons, I’ll be glad to wait a while.

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I just played Wii for the first time at EB. The game they had loaded was Excite Truck. The graphics are terrible for a new system - barely PS2 quality. However, I really like the remote control system and it is very easy and intuitive. For ETruck you hold the remote sideways with two hands and turn it like a wheel. I even got my wife to try it out. It was touchy at first and a bit odd since there is not really a point of reference for tilting it like there is with a wheel. The remote rumbles a little though which is nice.

Novelty? Time will tell - I'd like to try the Zelda or Metroid game to see how it translates into adventure, and something that you'll play longer than Excite Truck, which wore off after ~10 mins of play. But I totally see how it's less intimidating and will be a great "party" system for playing with groups of people.

Again, do I regret buying 360 just a month ago? No. In fact, looking at Gears of War vs. Resistance: Fall of Man for the PS3, GoW looks better. And there are the Ridge Racer comparisons going around right now showing superior textures in the 360 version of the game.

20. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Just checked ebay awhile ago and saw some pre-order PS3's going as high as 1.7K...some not including shipping..:)

If i get one this weekend, im pretty sure ill send it off on ebay. Did it for the 360 and did well, lets see what Sony can do for me..:D

21. ski_bum

ski_bum Formula 3

Dec 26, 2002
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Michael
    question: How do those in line take care of, ahem, 'personal business'? Does the store let them in, porta-potties, bushes? Gallon size deodorants?

22. MAHOOL

MAHOOL Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    O-town, Florida
    Full Name:
    Mel
    be careful, there were stories last year of a circuit city employee hording a bunch of 360's and selling them on Ebay. I know for a fact when I tried to pick one up last year the Target guy in electronics told me that, the stock boys unloading the truck were putting them aside and when the store opened would run up to the register and pay for the item. Employees can not buy the units while on shift, but they would hide them in the back till they got off of work and then bring it up front and pay for them. This will happen alot this year as well, so you may be wasting time sitting in a line.

23. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    #23 Townshend, Nov 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    The rioting will begin soon...

Stay tuned

25. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I also heard about this when the 360 came out.