Who do you support in F1? Ferrari or the driver from your country? | FerrariChat

Who do you support in F1? Ferrari or the driver from your country?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by PoleApart, Jul 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.
    For me Kubica is definitely before Ferrari but the cars are what they are so he's rarely in front of one. In this respect Silverstone was perfect. Kimi on the podium and Kubica was the only driver of the B-Car group (i.e. not McLaren or Ferrari) who managed to hold off Massa's amazing attack.

I guess the question is particularly relevant to the UK crowd. Do you prefer Hamilton or a Ferrari to be 1st?

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Ferrari since Senna died.

3. phylotic

phylotic Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 20, 2007
    US/EU
    Full Name:
    Gheorghe
    For me it's a mixture of car/driver. Massa, Alonso, Kubica in that order.
    Would have been great if Massa had caught up mid race, then we
    could see more of each driver, as I think Massa was somewhat
    careful considering the checker flag was imminent.

4. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    I wouldn't call that attack amazing - actually was quite surprised that he failed (for some 15laps!) to overtake Kubica with an evidently superior car.

Back on the subject though - maybe it's not too patriotic, but neither did Kubica, nor did I choose willfully to be Polish. Why should this be the reason for me to back him then?

5. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    I support Ferrari since 1988. I do have drivers that I like, but since they come and go at 'my' team, I don't support any in particular :) ...

And although I usually support drivers from my country, I really can't in the case of Christian Albers... :( ... hope that he will be replaced in the next race by a good Dutch driver :)

6. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I've been supporting Ferrari since the 70s and have stayed a true supporter even through all those years when the team couldn't get out of it's own way.

Maybe that is why I hate Alanso so much, but get him a Ferrari Contract and I will be his biggest fan...

But as you can see in my avatar I really liked Senna as a driver and that was the ONE exception...

7. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/7/6448.html

Spooky... your wish just came true!

8. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Ferrari first, and when they have a cool driver I'll support him.
    Always liked the "cool" driver style of Kimi so my favorite at the moment.
    Ferrari driven by Kimi Raikonen.

As soon Robert Doornbos is back in F1 I will be a huge supporter of him. Hope he will replace DC at the Red Bull team next year.

9. Vector-France

Vector-France Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    fqogil (Gilles)
    before : PROST
    after (future) : BOURDAIS :)
    now : nobody

10. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    Don't like F1 !

11. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Honda, because I linked from Ayrton Senna + NSX (my first "sportscar") to Honda Racing Team.

I like Hamilton (he suprised everybody), Button (at least he tries!), Alonso (no matter what the opinions he is a very skilled driver) and Kimi (just because his country is neighbor to mine). Massa is very humble and I like that about him.

So at the end I just want a good Grand Prix race rather than supporting someone or any team, but if Honda wins I always grin.
    Of course if Senna lived today I would always support him, he's the only hero I've ever had.

12. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.

It's fun to rally around a national icon and our country hasn't exactly given us anyone of any note in a truly big money international sport. We suck at football, tennis, golf so the fact that we have a guy in Formula 1 who got there from a sub-zero start and not based on his family's sponsorship money means he has my full support.

If Kubica went to Ferrari I would take a sabbatical and follow him around the F1 circuit for a season ;-)

I also have to say that I was a big fan of Ferrari until Schumacher. I grew up supporting Berger and Alesi but Schumi and his robocop image just didn't fit with the Italianness of Ferrari. Unfortunately Kubica has a lot of this passionless attitude about him too.

13. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    This is exactly what was my "turn off" for Kubica. Although with time he has opened up a bit, adjusting to the F1 setting, he is still lack lustre (far more than Schumi IMO), if not outright boring as a person.

14. mat

mat Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2006
    Warsaw/Lodz, Poland
    Full Name:
    Mateusz
    ferrari all the way. i couldn't stand polish commentary from last GP; when during last 10 laps the guy wasn't talking about anything else than "let's just hope massa won't overtake our robert... it'd be better if heidfeld came on his tail, so that he'll need to focus on him...". i was thinking of writing to them that commentator should think of supporters of other drivers/teams, but i guess he can't imagine such a situation

15. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.
    It's not a Polish phenomena, it's the same all over. Brits are crazy about Hamilton, Germans were about Schumi and Italians over anyone in a Ferrari. That's how the world works and the last 13 laps there wasn't anything else happening on the track anyway so they quite rightly focused on this.

16. phylotic

phylotic Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 20, 2007
    US/EU
    Full Name:
    Gheorghe
    Yes, but many eastern europeans still think that the west is superior somehow.

17. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.
    In many ways it is and in many ways it ain't

OT: Gheorghe - some interesting cars on your wanted list. Want us to source them for you? ;-)

18. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    If I fill Shell in my tank, smoke Marlboro, or buy a Fiat cinquecento, I support Ferrari. REM all the merchandising item $$$ rolling in Montezemolos pockets. :D
    How can I support my drivers?

19. phylotic

phylotic Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 20, 2007
    US/EU
    Full Name:
    Gheorghe

Mhhhm.

>OT: Gheorghe - some interesting cars on your wanted list. Want us to source them for you? ;-)[/QUOTE]

:)

Absolutely. If you can find me a perfect Lada 1500S -- prima!
    It will go nicely with the Zastava 850 ... and that red italian thing.
    (they're all Fiat's ;)

20. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.
    :)

Absolutely. If you can find me a perfect Lada 1500S -- prima!
    It will go nicely with the Zastava 850 ... and that red italian thing.
    (they're all Fiat's ;)[/QUOTE]

http://www.otomoto.pl/index.php?sect=show&id=C2755569

732 Euro + my 5% finding fee ;-)

21. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.
    From the Cambridge dictionary:

support (ENCOURAGE)
    verb [T]

2 (US USUALLY root for, AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH barrack for) MAINLY UK If you support a sports team or a sports player, you want them to win, and might show it by going to watch them play:
    Which team do you support?

22. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    teacher, we can see mutiple meanings in 'support'.
    The one above might be default in sports, whereas I recall the material aspect.
    You know I don't really support my team by watching GPs in Monaco, Monza etc... Here I am just a humble fan.
    Unless I don't buy a red cap or something it's no material support.
    The team gets zero benefit from my only physical presence.
    Keeping my fingers crossed is fine, but they need to finance their expenses.

cheers,

cinque

BTW: drivers can't hear me shouting, socker player do.

23. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    #23 menoy, Jul 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not during the race, but I doubt the sight of a whole sea of cheering red won't leave a driver not touched or in any way influenced (well. ok... apart from Kimi "Iceman" Raikkonen :D).

Edit - ok, so you'd have to atleast buy smth red and presumably Ferrari licensed. But physical presence does have a meaning.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Nicke

Nicke Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hellsinki
    Full Name:
    Nicke Forsell
    This season has made my life so much easier. I now get to support Ferrari and the driver from my country at the same time (yes that would be KIMI). No more schizofreniac problems.

25. pravda

pravda Formula 3

Sep 19, 2006
    Valladolid
    Full Name:
    Pablo
    Ferrari ONLY, for me it isnt important whos are the drivers, I always wants to win the red car with the cavallinos, and if its possible in 3, 4, 5 and 6 position the other four cars that have Ferrari engine, but the last thing its a bit difficult....

About the Spanish driver I preffer say nothing, because when you dont have any good to say its better say nothing....

Pablo.