who dares 400 i manual on e bay | Page 2 | FerrariChat

who dares 400 i manual on e bay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by cigarette, May 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LondonMick

LondonMick Rookie

May 28, 2011
    Agreed, except you don't have to lose money. Just don't go into it with a mercenary expectation of a quick turn. I bought mine for £3500 in 2007 and drove it home. In the middle of a 4 year (so far) resto now and might finish it in another year or so. Then I might sell it on, or not. No plans either way. If you're in a rush then don't bother. Each time one is parted or rebodied it helps the value of those preserved without any effort required from the owners. I'll get all my money back out of it if I do eventually sell, but more importantly I will have enjoyed owning a Ferrari in the mean time. I remember hearing all the same negative comments about the 330 and 250 4 seaters a few years back.

2. Flinch

Flinch Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2009
    Holland and Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter El Cheapo
    True, 15 years ago you could buy a 246, 330 or even a C4 here for a third of what they are worth today. I am sure it will happen to the 400s again. It will start with the carbed modells first. Pretty sure about it, but, again, I do not care. My 400 was bought cheap too. I bought it this a blown engine for 6.5 grand. The engine rebuild cost me about the same. For me it is all about the heritage and adding a small piece to the history of the brand in stead of taking the easy way out and parting out a car that was perfectly restorable. I'd say : Buy it cheap and restore it. Without some bravery you will only loose.
    Heck, without some bravery we'd be talking german and italian here in europe.

3. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Hey LondonMick-

Welcome to Fchat!!

Looks like we're pulling ALL the 400/412 owners out of the woodwork with the renewed activity here-

PLEASE share some photos of your car- especially restoration photos! I'm sure we'd all love to see them.

4. 330Guy

330Guy Karting

Jan 9, 2009
    Union City, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dana Edward Layton
    #29 330Guy, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
    Hey sure the car appears to be neglected. Mr. Ashman has kindly compiled copious bits of serial number specific info for which we should all be grateful. But really what are we talking about here?...A few minor flaws. A dent here, a crack there, missing this, leaking that....and what you want pictures? Honestly Gentlemen, can't we use our imaginations?

Now on to cost. When you consider what this car is going for at the moment why complain 'bout spending just three or four times the purchase price to sort it all out? Here's a suggestion I picked up last week from a recruiter. Enlist your son or daughter in the Marines. Piliage their college education fund and off you go. You're well on your way to washing off the dust and getting started. And what's that...there's luggage included?! Perfect. I'm certain I'd be living somewhere else for some time to come.

5. Pyrford Ranger

Pyrford Ranger Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    It "sold" for $19388 which seems pretty high for the US

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I wonder. There was a lot of speculation about how this car might not be worth more than $10K but, if there was an opportunity to inspect the car and confirm if the engine and drivetrain are in acceptable shape with no major problems, would the price paid ultimately be viewed as a good deal for a low mileage 5 speed?

If you pay $20K for the car and put another $20K (as an example) into it to bring it up to snuff, do you think that an all-in price of $40K is out of line for a good looking and reliable car?

7. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    If that was in fact the case then it's a good buy- I think if you can get one of these- a 5 speed especially- completely sorted so everything works, car rung strong and reliably and you can really enjoy it on a daily basis- all done for under $50K it's worth it- The market does not agree obviously but ANY 30 yr old Ferrari that is for sale is going to eat up $5K-$10K within a few months of new ownership- even if it's a really good example.

8. Pyrford Ranger

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    depends how much you want one i guess.
    but its relative, it just seems expensive compared to that 412 manual that went for $34k

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=FL11&ID=r541

9. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The $34K is just the down payment, even on that car, and the final price depends on how much additional money is needed to bring the car up to the standard that is needed to be good looking and reliable. Just look at how much additional work Jay has had done on his 412, which also was in pretty good shape when he bought it. The 412 may be starting out at a higher level but it will still need some money invested in it to do that.

Every used car does.

I don't know if the Texas car needs $10k, $15K, or $20K of work, I'm just saying that the purchase price leaves some room before the buyer gets seriously underwater.

Maybe the buyer is or will be on here in the 400 forum and we will get the chance to find out.

10. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Yes obviously if you are patient there are some ridiculous bargains to be had on these cars- not in the sense that you can flip it for a profit (you can't) but that you can get a REAL V12 Ferrari- a spectacular vintage car that is still usable in a modern setting- for short money.

Heck the "Legendary Motors" 400i 5-speed is STILL around for $30K- and it's a very nice car with a recent respray and leather work- and a 5-speed!

But it's the same story if you look at ANY fcar from the 80s or older- you need to have the resources to maintain the car or be stuck with a car that is not reliable and not fun to own or drive.

11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No John, I don't. Nor do you or any of us out there who actually own one of these cars.

12. Pyrford Ranger

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Of course we all think they're worth $40k all day long but I'm just saying it was a good price considering what previous sales in the U.s have been fetching. Maybe the Market is waking up over there.

13. 330Guy

330Guy Karting

Jan 9, 2009
    Union City, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dana Edward Layton
    Based on my sporatic observations prices of our beloved 400 series seem to continue in the 'soft' arena. The "immortals" continue to garner record prices, but then those cars are rarely driven and consequently simply visually enjoyed. I'd rather have a horse I can ride than a statue to dust.

14. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    It could have been the luggage.

At least the car has seen some action. So the water pump isn't froze. I call it market correct.

They seem to be stuck in the teens for a not so well presented car.

It really is something when a replacement windshield may cost 10% of the purchase price.

15. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Back on eBay....

16. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    $14k with a few hours to go.

You know I re-read the description carefully. Oh my! It is pretty scarey when you read it carefully.
    So when we say it needs a new thermostat how do we know? Overheats?

17. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I too have been watching that one. Lost me at "oil leak".Been there, done that.

18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Any bets on Brett buying it ;) :)

Regards,

Art S.

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Sucker bet. ;)

20. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    no, no, no...

as Dr. John said above, 'been there, done that'.

there has to be a limit to how many times you can make a $30K car out a of a $50K investment.

21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I resemble that remark

22. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I think we all do. I sending the Bentley off for paint next month...