White smoke from engine bay while driving | FerrariChat

White smoke from engine bay while driving

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Jul 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hey,

I was cruising on the highway yesterday with my Mondial QV at 120km/h nicely. Suddenly I noticed in my rear view mirror that a cloud of white smoke came out of the engine bay. I only drove for about 15 minutes.

All temperatures of oil and cooling liquid looked OK on the gauges.

I immediately pulled over and checked the following:

- Any leak of cooling liquid: NO
    - Fan on the radiator was working, so no overheating.
    - Any other sign of liquids on the engine from above: NO

I was able to drive further and everything seemed to work just fine, no more smoke. At home, I checked underneath the car and all liquid levels: everything OK.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks

2. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Did you wash the car earlier this week? Water trapped?
    How about the expansion canister? Rusty tears on the black paint?

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Well, I drove through some heavy rain 5 minutes earlier, but it must have been at least half a litre of water to generate so much smoke.

Expansion canister looks brand new.

4. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    If everything seems ok, perhaps a pothole with water that was sprayed over the headers/exhaust?

Keep a close look on the gauges and liquid levels in near future. Also on the mirrors... :)

Where are you located in B?

5. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Oil in the breather system. If I fill my mondial t even to the minimum stick level it puts out clouds of white smoke, as soon an I take half a litre out its fine. Seems to suck it in the inlet manifold.

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    One question, did you tap up your coolant reserve tank before you took the car out.
    I ask because when I first just got my car 3 years ago, I over filled my coolant expansion tank to the point when the car got hot, the pressure busted a hose and I got coolant all over the headers which in my rear view mirrors looked like a raging fire out of the engine bay but it was just white smoke. Scary to see it when it happens. Got a new hose and refilled the coolant, all was fine.

Make sure you do not fill coolant past the half way line in the expansion tank leaving room for expansion, 'Duh moment for me.

Best

7. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Check the bushing near the intake (just behind it), it has deteriorated in one of my Mondials and there was smoke coming out when it finally broke off.

8. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Surprised, I would think oil in the breather would show as a little darker smoke.

I am pretty sure I have an overflow tube on the expansion tank; but if overfilled, it would pressurize and hit some of the hot exhaust pipes out of the non capped overflow tube. That would cause some white smoke until the amount of pressurized coolant got below the overflow tube. I have never had an issue, but most tracks require a catch can on the overflow tube. Easy enough to rig up.

I would double check the coolant level when cold, and hope it was only an overfilled tank.

Regards,
    Jerry

9. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Thanks for all ideas.

I haven't touched the coolant in the expansion tank for years, so for the moment, I think it must have been some rain water that cooled on the engine and produced the smoke.

10. JimboMondial

JimboMondial Karting

Dec 26, 2005
    Portsmouth UK
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #10 JimboMondial, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    I had a leak from the front cam cover which then dropped down on the exhaust heat shield, so when a suitable amount had dripped down it would either burn off or when you went around a corner drop on the exhaust and give smoke out the engine cover. its worth a check to see if you have the same problem.

Jim

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi,

This exact thing happened to me - ended up being too much oil from the last oil change and no gasket on the oil cap - oil bubbled over and spilled onto the exhaust manifold cover...check for leaks and if you see some oil stains on your passenger side cover - that might be it!

Good Luck

12. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hey! That might be it, there is some oil dripping on the passenger's side of the engine, right below the heads. But the oil cap has a gasket on it. May have escaped from the point where the cam shafts exit the motor block. Thanks for the tip.

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Does your exhaust manifold shield look like this?

http://mondialt.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/photo-42.jpg

14. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hmmm, if you don't see any sort of oil residue - the problem might be something more sinister - make sure you have somebody check it out

Best case scenario is it was just some oil that bubbled over, worst case it could be gasket leak!

Good luck!

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #16 MvT, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Check your coolant hoses that go under the air intake/house. There is a T split. The little pipe is known for corrosion and will leak. (Red arrow)

For the rest I would check all the yellow area.

1. Coolant level ok?
    2. Perhaps too much coolant? (It'll throw coolant out via the breather pipe..)

HTH
    Tijn
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I had an incident where the car dropped its aircon gas charge thru the front seal of the compressor in one big lot and it was as you describe a big poof of whiteish smoke.
    Does your car have A/C if so turn it on and see if you have aircon still

18. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Coolant levels look just fine.

19. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Well, some weeks ago, I noticed that the aircon belt had snapped. Never heard any weird noise, the belt was just hanging over the aircon wheel, partially shred. I have a 2-belt system for water pump, alternator and airco, so there was no impact on other things and I decided to just leave the airco belt out of the engine. Never used the airco anyway.

I don't know what made the airco belt snap, all wheels on which the belt was mounted appeared to turn fine.

20. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #20 stekkefun4, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    That can easily have created the white smoke :) I would check the cam belts though if no pieces are torn out from this snapped airco belt.

22. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hey, no, I removed the snapped belt some weeks before the white smoke.

23. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Is the smoke from the engine bay or the exhaust?
    I know the caption says engine bay but are you sure?

24. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Yes, sure.

25. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Well it can only be 3 things as I see it, Oil smoke, Steam,or burning rubber.
    What does it smell of?
    Regards Bell