whistling at high RPM? | FerrariChat

whistling at high RPM?

Discussion in '308/328' started by JoeZaff, Jun 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My Mondial 3.2 cab is really screwing with me lately. First, it has a cold start problem for all of two days, which has now completely disappeared (after, of course, I left the car at my mechanics for a week and he couldn't duplicate the problem). So on my way home from the mechanic, I stretch my cars legs a little bit and notice that I have suddenly developed this barely perceptible high pitched whine, almost like a whistle, above 4.5K. It is not transmission related because it happens if I rev the car in neutral as well as at speed.

I just did the belts and bearing a few months ago and we replaced any hoses that APPEARED to be old. The only hose that we didn't get to, which I was planning on next week, was the hose connecting to the ECG valve which is sweating a bit of oil.

The water pump looks good, works well, and is only about 4 years old w/5K miles on her. The A/C was not on when I experienced the issue.

Does this sound bearing or vacuum related?

Any thoughts before I drive my A$$ back to my mechanic!

2. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I had an air filter cause a whistling noise. Thats how I discovered that a 308 and 328 were not interchangeable.

3. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hmmm,
    That's interesting, but the filter has been in there for at least a few months and I replaced the hose a little less than a year ago. Are you thinking maybe the airbox isn't sealing properly?

4. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    It's probably worh looking at. In my case the filter developed a tear in the rubber part of the element and it drove me nuts until I figured it out.
    Did you rule out the exhaust tips?

5. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    sort of, the exhaust tips have always made a distinct whistle between 3-4K. This sound is not too dissimilar from that. I am going to have to get a buddy to stick his head back there while I rev her up and see what he finds.

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

6. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    #6 FamilyCar, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can you determine if it is vacuum related rather than engine speed related? That should be possible by varying the load on the engine without changing engine speed very much.

My car would make an intermittent high-pitched whistle sometimes. I finally discovered that the molded hose, Part 42 on the image below, was split.

I also have a vacuum leak on the small valve on the rear firewall-below the expansion tank, although it is only apparent when decelerating. Perhaps a loose hose there?

I've also had noise form the water-pump idler bearing recently, but that was most noticeable at lower engine speeds.

Let us know the results, and good luck.

Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Exhaust whistle?

8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    If it is an exhaust whistle, it'll get more pronounced.
    If you search the archives, there's lots of posts on this.
    An easy test - get some springy metal, roll it up, slide them into the exhause tips (I'd do two at a time) and if the whistle goes away, time to either replace the muffler or make permanent inserts from quality steel. I believe you can also buy them- an old post lists a supplier. For a quick 5 min test, I cut some tin cans & tried it. Found out it was the passenger side tips causing the problem.

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks!
    I'll check this today after I get home from work and report back my findings.

10. B-26

B-26 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2009
    Glen Mills PA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Cat converter starting to plug up ? just a thought.

11. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Update:

Went out today and the cold start problem reoccured. Basically, what happens is the car starts fine, but 3 seconds later it begins fascilatting between the valve going on and off causing the idle to stumble and almost stall. After about 15 seconds everything settles down into a low idle (roughly 800RPM). Once the car warms up, the idle smooths out and it settles into a nice 1000 rpm idle.

I have noticed the ECG valve is sweating a bit of oil.

As for the sound, standing outside and revving the car with my foot, the sound seems to be coming from the driver's side, maybe behind the oil cooler. It is a higher pitched whistle, like air swooshing. It does not sound very mechanical. I've heard this sound in the past, but much less noticable and assumed it was just the exhaust whistle.

I am beginning to wonder if all of these things are related. My mechanic is pretty backed up, but I am going to try and get the car to him next week.

Any further thoughts

12. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I've had a noise from my oil cooler, but it was caused by vibration and did not sound at all like a whistle. It was enough to send me to the mechanic for repair. It turned out that the bottom mounting bracket had broken.

13. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Joe,
    This will be completely useless. It is from my348.com and is probably only applicable to the t, but we once had this problem (it went away on its own). If you can understand this quote then you are way ahead of me. . .

"Air Intake Whine / Noise / Squeal / Whistle / High Pitch The 348 does something unique from 3500 to 5500 rpms; we've got Intake Compensation Solenoid Valves. The ICSV is activated between 3,500 and 5,500 RPM's. This improves torque by opening our Compensation Throttles (helmholtz resonators). And it can be a mysterious, hard-to-diagnose source of noise if the ICSV is bad, or if the ICSV tubing is too old to seal air, or if the vacuum tubing involved has a leak."

Good Luck,
    Dave

14. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Joe, I took our Mondi over to generous FChatter Gianluca's garage today to change the oil. We put it on his lift, drained the oil and refilled it. I got the crazy idea to remove all the Engine Management connectors and apply Stabilant 22A. Now I have a check bank 5-8 light. I did the unthinkable. I fixed what wasn't broken. Why do we love these quirky Italian cars so much?

Dave

15. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Joe:

Here's a thought--vacuum leak to the ECU?

It's on the driver's side about where you describe, the small hose probably makes the sound you describe, and it would affect the timing which would be more noticeable on a cold engine. It's a single small hose, I think the forward one on the intake manifold plenum, and sort of loops ahead of the cols down to the ECU, which is just below the oil cooler.

Perhaps worth a look or a hose jiggle.

Peter

16. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Peter,
    I will definitely check this out, the engine is running a tad rough when cold and I have noticed a tiny bit more of the "overrun" sound than normal even when hot.

I'm bringing her back to the shop next week, but it would great to find the culprit and salvage the weekend!

17. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Joe: No guarantees, but worth a look. A correction, it is the rear-most of the hoses on the manifold. Mine was badly cracked where it expands over the bulge on the end of the nipple, but not leaking. The connection to the ECU can be accessed by removing the wheel well liner, unless you have a lift which would make it pretty simple.

Hope you get your weekend back.

Peter

18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Twenty of us spent significant time with Joe and his Mondail this morning.

The official diagnosis.

OCD.

No not some odd valve or exhaust leak, not a vacuum leak or bearing going bad.

OCD.

Joe has it, has it bad, and most of the time he appears to focus it on his car.

We recommended a more modern Ferrari was his only possible solution. I let him drive my 360 in order to test one out. Hey may be hooked.

DM

19. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I let him drive my 360 in order to test one out. Hey may be hooked.

DM[/QUOTE]

In some circles that may be considered a dirty trick. :)

20. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #20 JoeZaff, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That pretty much sums it up. I listened to a Ferrari 328 that made a similar sound and then called a buddy of mine with a Mondial 3.2 cab who stated his car makes the exact same sound. It is normal...and I am an obsessive a$$.

Dave's 360 was amazing as one would expect, but a distinctly different driving experience, as have all the newer Ferraris I have driven (post 355). Personally, I really love the feel of the old Ferraris. They are more my style. Besides, I wouldn't trade my Mondial for any other car in the world. Having had the good fortune of driving or being driven in all sorts of wonderful Ferraris, I have a renewed appreciation of all the things that drew me to my car in the first place. I am obsessed with it because in my eyes she is irreplaceable and I couldn't live with myself if she suffered some kind of calamity on my watch. I'll admit that I occasionally curse her and threaten to sell her, but that temptuous relationship is part of the passion of owning a fiery italian. I LOVE all Ferraris, but I have never driven one I enjoy as much or speaks to my personal needs better.

VIVA MONDIAL.

Thanks for all of your help guys and for putting up with my craziness.

Here's a photo of some of the great fellow f-chatters who helped cure my latest OCD episode at Saturday's C&C. Photo taken by Alex Lee.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    +1 esp. to the VIVA MONDIAL! :)

22. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Joe, you are not alone. I'm always hearing "new" sounds in my Mondial. My listening has become much more focused since I did my service. Before the service I enjoyed the sound of the engine and didn't worry if something was normal or not because the service would get it. Now it should be right and I did the work myself so I'm double concerned about every little sound.

23. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I also have OCD when it comes to my Ferrari, you're not alone Joe! It's my mission to eliminate squeaks, rattles, whistles, until the car is perfect =)

24. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    "OCD" is one of the reasons it is good to drive the car regularly.

When I was driving my QV regularly, I was very tuned-in to what was "normal" and what was "not".

For a variety of reasons, the car sat for an extended period of time, and when I finally started driving it again, I found I was "chasing ghosts" for a long time before I got tuned back into the car.

This is also a reason why I really think it is a fraught thing to have anyone work on these cars that does not do work on lots of them; unless you regularly get wheel time on the specific model, I think it is very easy to start "fixing" things that are actually just fine...

25. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Get rid of the factory muffler, and install a Tubi !! I also run a K & N air filter. I think someone, maybe Fab Speed , make sport cats, or you can use a test pipe. You will love the sound, and the engine will run cooler with a test pipe, and or sport cats. These cars really wake up when you go this route. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you