While you are there (major service) | FerrariChat

While you are there (major service)

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ferralc, Jun 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Quick questions for all the experts here
    What are the top things to do/replace while you are doing a testarossa major?
    I will for example replace the differential as a preventive measure.
    What else would you do “while you are there” that you will take advantage of the engine out besides belts and hoses??
    Would you replace seals that are prone to leak? (Shift shaft, rear main seal,etc?)
    Of course changing things that are not needed to be changed is overkill (ie clutch) but maybe you could save half of the labor “while you are there”?
    Looking forward for the experts consensus
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I would change out some seals at the front of the engine. I have a few oil leaks from the front of my engine, but I'm due for my engine out. Basically I wouldn't want to have to go back in after a year to replace the front crank seal if it decides to let go. Maybe check some of your metal oil lines and things like that, one of mine is a bit crushed. Clutch and diff can be done in the car at a later date I believe.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    A long list could be generated…. But my fav is the cheapest: the check valve on your exhaust. Two at about 15usd ea.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Doing a diff with the engine in is a bad idea.

Since October 1985 when Testarossas arrived at US dealers I have not changed a single front seal. Most leak as a result of damage from installation when someone replaced them.

Shift shaft seals do leak from time to time but are not any harder to change in the car. If you are doing a differential it is a little easier then.

Elberoth likes this.
  5. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks Brian
    So in your opinion
    1 belts
    2 hoses
    3 differential
    4 main rear seal
    5 shift shaft seal

And that’s about it?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #6 Rifledriver, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Not sure if that is a total list or an additional list. The belts kind of confuse the issue.
    I feel about the same on the rear seal as the front. Those we do see leak sometimes however not as big a risk as it is easy to get to.

Cam seals are pretty normal as are the O rings. Valve adjustment and head retorque.

Some replace seals in the waterpump every time. To me that kind of depends on how long and how far since last service. I also know a lot of people had a bad time installing them and not have a leak at the end of the job. The updated one piece seal is to me the only one to use but that is the one some had problems with.

Someone else said exhaust check valves. I agree but not on the price. Years ago I had a couple of the cheap brand X valves go bad and melted, burned up everything up stream of them. Since then I have only used genuine GM/Delco valves and have not seen them for $15 each in some time. Maybe he has a better source. In any event it is not a huge difference.

On the hoses, most important are the fuel return. Replace both and most of the time I replace the 4 small vertical hoses from the tanks to the fuel vapor pipe and the air outlet hoses from the tanks to the filler pipe. Fuel pump supply hoses and fuel tank connector hose should be inspected. Be very careful removing hoses from the aluminum nipples. They break easily.

Also thats just to plan on. Your real job is to inspect everything.

peteficarra, V4NG0 and ferralc like this.
  7. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I am in the midst of a major as I write this. The engine in my car ran perfectly when I started, so as mentioned, the process seems to be inspect and replace old parts before issues arise.

This time, in addition to new belts, a clutch (it did not slip, but I am in there anyways), a billet differential case and new LSD clutch disks, I will replace the 30 year old chain and tensioner which operates the oil and water pumps. My rear main seal was leaky and made a mess, while the clutch throw out bearing seals were also in need of replacement (sometimes the clutch would stick in the in position momentarily when I released it). I am also replacing the bearings and seals which are on either side of the differential and all ball bearings and seals in each rear wheel hub.

Things I replaced last engine out 5 years ago included both thermostats (hard to reach with the engine in) and the rubber hoses which drain oil from the cam boxes to the sump (they become petrified over time and leak no matter how tight the hose clamps were). I suspect I will replace the thermostats again this time.

When you replace fuel lines, as mentioned by Rifledriver, do not forget the fuel tank vent hoses on the rear firewall (after 30 years mine crumbled in my hands and were a major fire hazard).

If your brake caliper flex hoses are original, consider replacing them when it is easy to do so. Same goes for old rubber coolant hoses and radiator fans (old ones seem to draw a lot of current which risks your fuse box).

My shift shaft seal always leaked until I swapped from the original o ring seal to one which had a proper seal with a lip. Amazingly, my car does not leak oil anymore.

Finally, if the car is that far apart, consider switching to non-water based coolant like Evans. I run it in all my old cars and have only good things to say about it.

c4b4the04 and ferralc like this.
  8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Can you please add some details on the seal?

“My shift shaft seal always leaked until I swapped from the original o ring seal to one which had a proper seal with a lip. Amazingly, my car does not leak oil anymore.”

ferralc likes this.
  9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    The shaft usually rides in a rubber o ring located inside the transmission case. I replaced that (it still leaked) so I then added the gearshift shaft oil seal that Superformance sells (146306) in addition to the o ring (the seal taps into the hole in the case from the outside). The combination of both seals (and a proper fitting bellows to keep dirt out) has finally stopped the drip.

ferralc likes this.
  10. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    hello there, thanks for the clutch tip, yes the clutch needs to come off when you are doing a differential so I believe replacing it is a good idea, it is not slipping but I have 20 years of service records and I don’t see any clutch ever replaced and my car has 28k miles. Forgive me if you already answered my question but when I was getting the part they quoted me the AP clutch and pressure plate, but they asked me if I needed also the “clutch release bearing” and the “carrier”
    Are these parts recommended to be changed when you replace the clutch or you can reuse the old ones? They are not expensive ($165 and $200) but I don’t know if getting them is not always needed. Thanks

11. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    As the difficult to reach bearing and carrier wears over time, is not well lubricated and is not extremely expensive (compared to the clutch itself) I intend to replace both parts. My car operates in a harsh desert climate, has 60,000 km on it and has original parts, so it's time. I will probably go with the original OEM clutch over the AP type as I have had zero issues with it.

ferralc likes this.
  12. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    My shift shaft seal always leaked until I swapped from the original o ring seal to one which had a proper seal with a lip

I 3D printed an adapter to add the 512 lipped seal to my 1985 dated gearbox. Fixed my problem as well.

Excellent list of updates, well built!

ferralc likes this.