Which years were gray market cars? | FerrariChat

Which years were gray market cars?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 180 Out, Jan 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    First time poster here. I tried various searches but couldn't get *the* answer, regarding which years of these cars were imported/federalized through the gray market.

In particular I'm wondering about the '83 400i automatic. I'm looking at one and I live in a California Smog Check II county. So the emissions issue is important.

If the '83 is a gray market car, the car I'm looking at is represented to have a California title. That's the good news. But an owner would still have to deal with the Smog Check issue to transfer the registration, and then at re-registration time every other year. If anyone has experience with dealing with California Smog Check and could share information about the hoops they make you jump through, that would be great too.

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Not being a Yank I could only guess that any car coming into the 'states,at that time,would have had the awful rectangular side indicators.Only the US market had those.

3. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    ALL are.

Ferrari did not officially import the 400 or 412.

Cars had to be "Federalized" and different inspectors let these agencies (Tom Cruise in Rain Man) perform different levels of US DOT specs. My 412 has NO side markers but did have door beams installed- My 400i only has the side markers on the rear- Most have side markers front and back.

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Welcome to FChat and the 400 section!

Full Garage is correct, all of the 400/400i/412 cars are "gray market" cars that were never officially imported into the U.S. by the manufacturer. All were brought in by individuals and converted to comply with U.S. EPA and DOT regulations by various conversion shops around the country. At one time it was crucial to have the releases from both those agencies to transfer title and get the car re-registered in the U.S. but those requirements have all lapsed now.

I'm not in California but my understanding is that California still requires a very stringent smog test on cars regardless of age (Many states exempt cars from emissions testing after a certain age, typically around 25 years) and getting a non-compliant car to qualify in CA is difficult.

I'm sure that others on this forum will be able to chime in with the exact things to look for and what needs to be done so I'll just welcome you and encourage you to ask lots of questions about these great cars if the search function doesn't give you what you want to know.

5. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    Thanks for all the replies. I mentioned that I had tried to search out of long experience with newsgroups and forums where Search Nazis are ready to pounce on any newb who's failed to search before posting a question.

Speaking of Nazis, the only thing missing from the California Air Resources Board is the goosestepping. Although cars from model years '75 and older are exempt, at change of ownership time all sellers must produce a Smog Check certificate. Smog Check I uses a plain vanilla sniffer test. Smog Check II puts the car on rollers and plugs into the OBD II portal and prompts the operator to run through a series of acceleration and cruising simulations. In both cases the data is uploaded to the DMV in real time, making it harder to cheat I suppose. As I mentioned, I'm in a Smog Check II county. I've had no problems with my late model cars, although some have required some pre-test massaging. But an '83 with one-off gray market emissions equipment is a new frontier. That's why the input of other Californians would be helpful.

You know, what threw me a curve about there being years of the 400i-412 that weren't gray market cars is that I read somewhere that the cars had "U.S. emissions equipment." In '83 that would mean catalytic converters for sure, and likely an O2 sensor and closed loop operation. So I wonder, what did the gray market typically do? And would we expect to see the add-ons still present and functional 30 years later?

6. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    My 84 400iA has 308/328 side marker lights added to the rear. The fronts are the factory small round lights.

Al

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    My car escaped the ugly rectangular front side marker lights as well and has only the small round lights that came from the factory.

8. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #8 full_garage, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. hoverland

hoverland Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Harald Ø
    That's two really nice cars you got Jay !!

Harald

10. jfam

jfam Karting

Jan 6, 2012
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    John Ford
    Which car is your favourite Jay?