Which normally aspirated engine leaves the highest bhp/liter output? | FerrariChat

Which normally aspirated engine leaves the highest bhp/liter output?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by millemiglia, Dec 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Got the idea to this thread from the F430 vs. Ford GT thread.

You can reach really high bhp/liter figures by adding a turbocharger or supercharger but from an engineering point of view I think it's more impressive if you reach high bhp/liter from a normally aspirated engine.

The most impressive figure I can recall is that of the Honda S2000 that leaves 120bhp/liter (240 bhp, 2.0 liter inline 4).

/Peter

2. MattOz

MattOz Karting

Apr 28, 2004
    Warwick
    Full Name:
    Matt Osborne
    Peter,

My CBR1000RR has about 178 bhp at the flywheel which equates to 157bhp at the back wheel. So effectively I'm getting serious bhp/ltr. I think that the S2000 may have one of if not the highest bhp/ltr in the normally aspirated car world. The McLaren F1 and BMW M3 are both comfortably over 100bhp/ltr

Matt

3. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    lets not forget the 360, with 400hp and 3.56litters....

4. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    F1 Ferraris have 300hp/liter naturally aspirated. 3.0 with 900hp. Of course with boost top fuel dragsters have almost 1000hp/liter. i think they are 8.0 liters with almost 8000 hp. Takes alot of hp to go 0-150 in 1.5 seconds in 200 feet.

5. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Blowers and turbos don't count, because they effectively make the engine bigger without actually making it physically bigger.

So definitely Honda S2000

6. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    The S2000 is, to my knowledge, the winner.

The Stradale is not far behind at 118bhp/liter.

7. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    So are you ignoring Matt's post about motorcycles? Some naturally aspirated liter bikes are pushing 170 crank hp or 170hp/liter. However, most of the 600cc bikes are making 120 hp so they are around 200hp/liter stock. All without outside help and for very reasonable money.

Larry

8. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    Mentioning F1 cars?

Ok then... 250cc motogp bikes are getting almost 100 hp. Hows that?

Theres QUITE A FEW people with literbikes who can put down 190hp to hte rear wheel. No NOS, or blowers.

9. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    It's amazing how much farther ahead the bike makers are than the car makers. I think they have more environmental restrictions that the bike makers.

10. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg

True, but automotive fuel injection and engine management is probably 10-15 years ahead of bikes. A bike's advantage is being able to spin high rpm (same with F1), if you talked torque per liter it would be a slightly different story.

Larry

11. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Well ... my snowmobile is a 440cc pushing 97hp ... that's 220hp/L. My bike is around 60-65hp for 250cc, which makes it 260hp/L. My old 80cc had 27hp ... woohoo 330hp/L. I win. What? No 2 strokes? Damn.
    :D

Anyone into boats PWCs and co. to tell us how these engines perform. They are way ahead as far as efficiency goes, iirc.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Why?. All modern bikes have engine management systems and fuel injection ... even Ducati! ;)

To play this game you need to have separate categories for each type of engine, ie:

4 stroke petrol engine - Some MotoGP race engine, actually no a F1 engine.
    2 stroke petrol engine - Some 125 or 250cc GP race engine.
    4 stroke turbo petrol engine - BMW F1 engine - 1500hp out of 1.5 ltrs. Debateable whether it was breathing petrol ;)
    4 stroke supercharged petrol engine - Good question.
    4 stroke supercharged any fuel engine - Top Fuel dragster.
    4 stroke diesel engine - ?
    2 stroke diesel engine - ?
    4 stroke turbo diesel engine - ?
    4 stroke supercharged diesel engine - ?
    etc.

You must compare like with like!
    Pete
    ps: Bikes make more power simply because their service intervals are heaps shorter and owners accept that. Having your Ferrari services every 1000 miles is not acceptable to the poncy cafe larte (sp?) crowd ;)

13. SteveNSX

SteveNSX Rookie

Jun 18, 2004
    I am assuming you have an RGV250 or RS 250??? Am I correct?

14. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    Not so. With regular oil/tire changes, and a properly lubed chain... You shouldn't be running into any problems at all. Those japanese sportbike engines are made to last forever. (probably longer than your ferrari)

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, we seem to have miscommunicated. I said that bikes have shorter service intervals NOT that they would not last.

A Ducati in Australia is to be serviced every 1000 miles (1600 km), my Toyota car on the other hand is serviced every 10,000 km. I do not know the service intervals for Japanese bikes but I still believe it is a lot shorter than the equivalent car.

To make cars last the longer distance to the next service intervals DOES mean they have to be softer tune.

Pete

16. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Nope. Make that a CR 250 (yup, dirtbike). And it's not stock :D. The bike is competitive at Canadian National level (Jean-Sebastien Roy's ex-bike). The rider isn't! LMAO

edit - btw, I go by TMR's quotes for power. Personally I can only say my bike is a 2000, and is heaps faster than a top shape piped 2004 CR250.
    On the track or on the trails it's "holy-crap-the-tree-is-getting-way-to-close-no-ouch" fast. Has more low end than a 450cc thumper, and yet has that typical 2 stroke top end boost. I love it.

17. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    I took a look at the specs for the Honda S2000 (car) and the Honda VTR1000 SP2 (sportsbike).
    S2000 = max. power 176 kW@8,300 rpm and max. torque 208 Nm@7,500 rpm VTR1000 = max. power 99kW@10,000rpm and max. torque 102Nm@8,000rpm

Is high rpm's a basic condition for a high bhp/liter output?

I've driven a S2000 on a couple of trackdays and it's very peaky meaning you have to change gear a lot.

/Peter

18. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Horsepower = (Foot*Lbs)(RPM)/5252

Given constant torque, an increase in RPM will always increase power. Torque becomes harder to maintain the higher up the engine revs though.

19. MattOz

MattOz Karting

Apr 28, 2004
    Warwick
    Full Name:
    Matt Osborne
    PSk,

My Blade has oil service intervals of 8k miles. However, I'll be changing the oil every 4k miles as I believe that no matter how good oil technology has become, it still requires changing regularly when using high load and rpm.

Cars do tend to run for longer between services, unless it's a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution which here in the UK has 4.5k mile intervals! However, the gap is getting closer.

I'd say that some of the 600cc sports bikes would have the highest specific N/A output, but then they need 15,000 revs to get there.

Matt

20. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    Most bike manufacturers have just started using FI regularly over the last few years...when was the last time you saw a new car with carbs? That's my only point, cars have been using it longer and it is more refined. Bikes will get there especially as the emissions requirements get more strict.

Larry

PS - I assume you are talking about valve adjustment intervals being closer together for bikes. While that is true, I don't see where bikes need a motor-out service to replace belts every couple of years :D

21. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    IF you believe the CS makes 118 HP/L, then that is the winner, as the Honda now sports a 2.2 L making the same 240 HP, so really it has about...110 hp/l. I liked the 2.0 I had better than the 04, and thought it looked better too!

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    LOL ... yes true. I think Ducati are the only manufacturer to use rubber bands to drive the cams :D

Pete