which mondial? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

which mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by mondialboy, Oct 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I spoke to the authorized dealer who had the car on consignment for the second owner in 2005. They ended up giving the car back and pulling the listing when they found the car had taken a hit to the underside (pretty hard one) and had a bent front struts among other things. The GM told me he thought the seller was going to have the repairs made and keep the car. He said the car shows flawlessly and they were surprised to find the damage they did. He told me the miles were a little over 8000 when he had the car in inventory. The car has 8158 as show by Naples Motorsports. I told him the car was for sale in Florida. He suggested a through PPI with a close eye on the front end to see if the damage had been repaired.
    Last edited by ferrariguyma; 02-05-2007 at 04:48 PM.

2. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    i tell you what, its commonly said that Mondials/348's are slow but its also said that its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I often cut my joy rides short when i feel I'm being over confident in the Mondial. This car will kill me its so nimble, fast and easy to overdo it. The thought of 100/200 more HP in a car like this, kinda scares me. I often let the ass out and its very easy to do. Running every gear to 7k, is pretty fast, to me.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  4. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I don't find the Mondial t slow at all. I have a tubi, so maybe a few more than 300 ponies but not much. I haven't put it on the scales, so I am guessing 3400 lbs?

I can compare to an almost 600 hp 4000 lb sedan.

Power to weight and gearing (torque multiplication) control most of the acceleration.

The sedan is a rocket, but the Mondi is anything but slow. It has tremendously stiff gearing to help acceleration, so top speed cruising is not quite as relaxed as most cars but it pulls plenty hard once past say 3500 rpm.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    My thought is that all Ferraris have some road racing roots. 0 to 60 was not the goal. Carrying speed through the corners, that is the goal.

6. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Agreed, but I don't think 0-60 is all that bad, especially considering it is a 23 year old car.

One of the faster cars in the day was a 1989 944 turbo s, 0-60 about 5.5s. Mondial coupe about 6.5, not exactly slow. And you are right, it handles great, especially when suspension set to hard.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    They are all great little cars

8. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Agreed, I have had that happen before in the Mondial and maybe once in the 360. I drive with the ASR on always I am not a racer and never want to drive beyond my abilities and on public roads would not be smart.

9. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    When you go from Mondial then 360 or 430 and back to Mondial it feels slow but if you know no difference it is a pretty quick car even at 300 horses.

10. La_Rossa

La_Rossa Karting

May 11, 2012
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I truly love my Mondial (1988 3.2 Cabriolet) and during the summer, it is almost a daily driver (I live close to my office).
    I can say that I have thoroghly enjoyed the car since I bought it.
    For a 24 (soon to 25) year old car, it is still quick and will get you into trouble if you don't know what you're doing.
    You always get alot of younger guys that want to race you in their little imports but remember, just ask them to get a 25 year old version of their car and then compare apples to apples.

You won't go wrong on buying a Mondial, and you won't find a better value for your dollar out there.

11. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    +1.

I never race the jetty that pulls up next to me, it's best that most think the Mondial will win so I keep our little secret. The car has such an aura that I don't want to tarnish, I just pull off slowly as if I didn't notice them.

12. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #37 soucorp, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Mario,

BTW, who built your center console cover, that looks great! Totally custom work! Love the carbon fiber wheel and knob as well! Your car looks fantastic!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    That's the right thing to do...For some reason I've never been able to do it. I just can't waste pole position at a red light...

Dave

14. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Wow is right, beautiful.

15. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #40 soucorp, Nov 1, 2012
    Double clutch baby! ... Mondipalooza will be fun !

16. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    indeed but I'm riding last, im not as confident with my Mondi as you speed racers.

17. F-car

F-car Karting

Feb 25, 2009
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    CK
    thanks for sharing all the info here.. i'm in the market for my first Ferrari.. I was thinking 308/328 initially.. after reading so many discussions in Mondial section, I can see myself drving Mondial3.2 soon :)

18. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    #43 Statler, Nov 1, 2012
    Arranged a little lunch after a cars and coffee. Not my photo (thanks Al, banned member), but it was a great time. The Mondial was looked at just as much as anything else... mostly because of the kid seat in the back.

I think the 3.2 was a perfect choice FOR ME. I do enjoy taking four people to the vineyard and coming home with a couple cases of wine. It's quick enough to be interesting but simpler than the T. I just can't see selling her even as I expand the car collection (and shrink the bikes? :( )

19. La_Rossa

La_Rossa Karting

May 11, 2012
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hey Chris,
    I totaly agree with you. For myself, the 3.2 is truly a fantastic automobile. I am planning on getting another car in the coming year or so but I will always keep the Mondial simply because of how much I love it. My wife and I pick up our grandson and can go shopping, there's plenty of space for stuff in the other back seat and the trunk.
    The car is not just a looker but a doer.
    Again, I agree with you in the simplicity fact.
    This car has been tuned so well, it is a real joy to drive (mind you, it took two seasons to get it right)...

20. La_Rossa

La_Rossa Karting

May 11, 2012
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hey Mike,

As you can see from the photo's I bought the car in Houston.
    The car came as you see it in the photo's.
    I've had many questions about the Carbon kit in there...
    I still have his contact, I will attempt to contact him on the weekend the see if he can remember where it came from.
    If I dig anything up, I'll certainly post it...

Looking forward to Mondialpalooza...

21. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    THAT'S IT!!!!

I'm driving my car today! I can't read all this and not remove the cover. Even if it is just to Costco. :D

22. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Here's some inspiration PV, I would have drove mine into work today, but we are still drying out in the east coast after Hurricane Sandy.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFtp3D9TPxI[/ame]

23. La_Rossa

La_Rossa Karting

May 11, 2012
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Mario
    ....That's the spirit!!!

24. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #49 soucorp, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    BTW... My other love (a.k.a. Miss Midget) has gotten me interested in doing this, your gonna want a cigarette after watching this, its that awesome, and I don't smoke!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYVKDryoEkE&feature=channel&list=UL[/ame]