Which Fuses to Remove and Where? | FerrariChat

Which Fuses to Remove and Where?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gumart1, Jun 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gumart1

Gumart1 Karting

Dec 22, 2010
    Highland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Marty
    I need to disable my ignition system and fuel system to do a compression test on a 360. Which fuses need to be pulled and where are they located?

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Gumart1 likes this.
  3. Gumart1

Gumart1 Karting

Dec 22, 2010
    Highland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Marty
    Anyone know which fuses or relays to pull? I found the same thing as Ian, no specific info.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If no expert input, Marty...

The F360 wiring diagrams available to the general public don't seem to contain diagrams which would show the relationship between the fuses/relays and the components. On the F355, for example, you know if you pull the fuel pump relay (s), it only affects the pump(s) and the O2 sensor heaters.

At minimum, I would pull the fuel pump relays to stop fuel getting to the injectors. Then experiment with the Motronic fuses (+15 and +30). This should stop the injectors and spark plugs firing. The starter circuit is the only unknown. On some earlier Ferrari models, the immobiliser and/or F1 TCU can affect cranking. I don't know if the Motronic ECUs have a hand with starting on the F360.

Gumart1 likes this.
  5. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Connect a bump start button directly to the starter, no need to turn the key on and disable fuel and ign. Be aware not to actually run the engine this way as the fans are grounded through the starter wire and won't come on.

Gumart1 and Qavion like this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Wouldn't the fans only cut out with the bump start button pushed or do you mean if you disconnected the normal solenoid connection and fitted only the bump starter button ?

7. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    The ground for the fans is the starter exciter wire. When the starter is excited, (12 volts positive) the ground goes away and the fans stop. Keeps more power going to the starter when in use. If you have the starter exciter wire unplugged then the fans have no ground.
    If I recall, the head lights are on the same ground.

Qavion likes this.
  8. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    If your car cranks but does not start when the Fob isn't pressed (some do and others don't), i.e. the alarm is still active then the ECU will not send a signal to start.

You could also pull the Relays # 50 & 94 for the fuel pumps.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gumart1 likes this.
  9. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Gumart1 and Qavion like this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    There's a similar setup on the F355. The symbology in the starter motor in the wiring diagrams is quite odd and it's difficult to see how the circuit operates. It gives the impression that the starter solenoid is always powered (albeit through the solenoid of the relay which powers the systems inhibited by starting the car)

Anyway, the compression test method used will be determined by the equipment and people available. The bump switch method seems to be the safest as the operator can see what is going on in the engine compartment during cranking and can stop the cranking immediately.

Ferrari Tech likes this.
  11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Disconnect ignition coils and injector harness..easy as pie..run you test..so simple..assuming you have all the plugs out the the engine, the coils will already be out of the picture..

perthite likes this.