which front signal lenses are correct? | FerrariChat

which front signal lenses are correct?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Newman, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #1 Newman, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Your car should have the clear/amber lens. There are some really crappy aftermarket ones out there. Originals cost stupid money if you can find them.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks! I found a new original for a $1000. As much as I hate to drop that I want it to look right and fit right.

What market had the all clear?

4. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    Hello Newman,

I once had a car from France that had the reverse light on the rear lenses in yellow (so it would replicate the yellow headlights mandatory in France, when the car was moving in reverse).

Does your 400i have a clear or amber/yellow lens for the reverse lights?

cheers

braq

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #5 Newman, Oct 26, 2015
    Mine has the red rear fog that turns on with the front fogs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Can you show a picture of the switch that turns it on? Or is it the stalk switch?

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #7 Newman, Oct 26, 2015
    Switch to the right of the mirror switch turns on front and rear at the same time. Sorry it's sideways. Took it with my phone just now.

8. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Where does one find these crappy aftermarket lights?
    Mine are shot and I don't want to spend 2k replacing them.

9. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting. Because my series 2 had the fog light switch turn on only the rear fog lights. The front lights were "Flash to pass" lights controlled by pulling the light stalk and were not "fog" lights.

I wonder if yours came as fog lights originally or were rewired to come on and stay on with the rear fog lights? I bet the OM would tell!

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #10 Newman, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    I have an 82 manual only. Need the black one for my car. With the headlights on (key off) the fog lights can be turned on and off so they are powered somehow through that same circuit. Headlights off and the fogs dont work.

Being a france market car (like a boxer) it comes with yellow front fog lights BUT 76-81 Boxers had fog lights (yellow or clear) and sometimes a single red rear fog that were turned on by a toggle switch for the front lights and a separate one for the rear on the console saying F.Fog and R.Fog, 82-84 boxer they became flash to pass lights with the stalk activating them up front with only a R.fog switch controlling the twin rears. Since my 400i is an 81 it would jive with the boxer toggle fog light arrangement.

Note the 400i badge under the horse instead of on the left side. I will take a look inside the trunk to see what the wiring looks like to see if it was something added by the government or if Ferrari supplied it. Second thought I should look in the parts book!

76-81 BB rear fog is mounted on the left side as well beside the tail lights.

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Parts books are of no help. On-line catalog is 83 with the lights in the rear bumper.

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is why I wanted to see the switch.

I have never seen the square rear fog light you have as a factory install. I'm wondering if there are others.

13. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    PM sent

14. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, lots of non-standard stuff on the back end: That fascia mounted fog light, the relocated 400i badge, the reversed order of tail lights. Good luck tracing it all down!

15. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    The Instruction Book for the 1979 400i (black cover number 176/79) is available in the download section of ferraridatabase.com:

All Ferraris

The list says "Owners Manual 400i Automatic 1979" but the PDF document does cover Auto and 5 sp Manual.

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I know I know....the tail lights are reversed just like my BB was. I'll correct that soon I promise!

17. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As long as you know. All in good time my friend, all in good time.

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #18 Newman, Oct 27, 2015
  19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    To let it into Canada perhaps, not sure when it came in but my Canadian BB had the lights swapped and thankfully that was all (possibly the front signals from clear to amber too but thats it). Thats why I wondered about the amber/clear lamps up front. A BB has clear front signals in France.

20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've seen this light on a French BB but never on a 400/412. But I haven't seen them all and it's France so go figure.

21. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I love those yellow headlights. I wish mine still had them.

And be glad your tail lights are reversed....it's likely why the car hasn't been cut to add the rear side markers. I so wish mine had been reversed (which I can correct) instead of drilled (which sucks to fix)..

22. gt4ever

gt4ever Rookie

May 3, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Benoit
    #22 gt4ever, Oct 28, 2015
    Good day all,

So the Frenchman that I am will try to bring à contribution...

One word first on yellow lamps: they were mandatory in France until end of 1992, thus being always fitted in cars produced until then. As of 1st January 1993, white only was the rule for new cars produced. It was of course possible to further drive yellow for pre-93 cars.

The historical reason for yellow came in 1936 upon a French army request made to differentiate foreign cars, this idea being later on "sold" to be as a less aggressive beam in the traffic, thus "safer".
    One must mention that there were two variants:
    1-the most common one was yellow lightbulb combined with clear white glass, thus creating a yellowish reflection inside the lamp assembly.
    2- Second variant is the opposite, such as the light bulb is white, and the glass being yellow. This is as far as I know a more typical solution offen used on seventies sports cars, having the EOM round headlamps from either Carrello, Ciibie or similars. For example, I remember very well some E23 BMWs or Alfa GTV showing a somehow more aggressive face with these yellow eyes. This fashion disappeared in the early eighties for a "whiter" look again, thus back to yellow bulbs combined with clear lenses.

In my case and back to Ferrari, I can say that I am proud to have managed to keep the original yellow glasses on my 365 through the TÜV, yet having it absolutely original and street legal in Germany where I now live.

Now on 365/400/412 blinkers:
    The blinkers in Amber, as I remember, were not mandatory, in France neither in Italy, until the mid seventies. ( I search for exact date and hope I will find soon.) This explains why most 365 sold on theses markets had white blinkers (alike some early 308's). For example, my 365 #18275, Pozzi, has original white blinkers (with yellow lamps!) and was produced October 74.

Later 400 models ALWAYS had amber blinkers, regardless market, as the lawmakers finally managed to kind of harmonize rules at that point of time and agree on orange blink blink. Please mind: lightbulb was in this case white, the glass (hence the appearance/look) being amber.

Then later 412 turned to have ALWAYS "white look" again, this time with an amber lightbulb behind the clear lens. (this you all know!)

SUM UP (attempt!)

365's
    Always white headlamps and MOST OF THE TIME amber blinkers glass EXCEPT:
    -yellow headlamps if French- delivery.
    -White blinkers glass and bulb for French or Italian delivery.

400's
    Always white headlamps and ALWAYS amber blinkers glass EXCEPT :
    -yellow headlamp if French delivery.

white headlamps and ALWAYS white blinkers glass over amber bulb and eventually:
    -yellow headlamp if French delivery.

So, in essence, if you guys ever find any yellow light source beaming on your cars, you can be sure 100% that your car was either:
    1-delivered new in France.
    2-was at some point in history "street legally" driven in France.

I must say that this is an tricky topic and I will of course welcome any correction or comment, as this is essentially based upon my little knowledge and memories as a French native car enthusiast.

Best,
    Benoit

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #23 Newman, Nov 1, 2015

Thank you for the excellent info!

Check out my french plates, came on my 400, too bad I cant use them here! Maybe for shows but thats about it.

24. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    My bad cam is at Web Cam getting welded. With any luck it will be back before year end. I have learned to sit back and rest. Do not get stirred up at delays anymore. I think all these little projects help because something is making progress every day. Two LaForza are now finished with mechanical issues. New headliners and running boards this week will get them ready for winter use. Not sure I ask you about the Masersti Royal that is in Toronto. I would like to buy it. Owner is unknown but he showed up at Brett's I tried to get Brett to help but it did not work for one reason or another.

25. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White

That is GREAT! I'd LOVE to have the original French plates (if it indeed was ever registered in France) for my car. That is awesome that you have yours.

I could run the front legally in Washington state......collector car plates (or year of manufacture which is what I run) you only need the rear.