Which F-Car will you buy in the next 10 years? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which F-Car will you buy in the next 10 years?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Robb, Jul 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What Current or Past F-car will you DEFINITELY add to your garage within 10 years?

1. Enzo

2. F50

3. F40

4. 288 GTO

5. 599

6. 430 Scuderia

7. F430

8. 360

9. 612

10. 550/575

11. 456

12. 360 Challenge Stradale

13. California

14. Testarossa/512TR/512M

15. 355

16. 348

17. 512/365 Boxer

18. 328/308

19. Daytona

20. Vintage F-Cars

21. Ferrari Race Car

22. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Hoping we can get even more people to chime in and vote your intentions for f-cars in the next 10 years.

Thanks.

Robb

2. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    10 years is a long time, a lot of things could happen. Assuming gas isn't $20/gallon, or that I'm not bankrupt and eating Pork n' Beans, or that their value skyrockets, a 550 in one of the darker blue colors would be fine with me. A real manual transmission, no engine removal for servicing, a big V12 that will last forever, and a body shape that will age very well, IMO. In about 10 years the first ones will be 20 years old, so also likely at the bottom of their depreciation curve and $60k or so.

If the 550 isn't available, second choices would be a manual 456M or TR.

3. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    On the plus side the production numbers on those ECU era cars are much higher so the number of parts cars could be higher as well.

I voted for 308 (GTB). Hopefully this will happen sooner rather than later (came close writing a check twice already). Surely within one year. I had the poster above my bed when I was a teenager. I think it's one of the purest designs ever and after driving one recently it confirmed my desire to own one.

4. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    So the 360, 430 and 355 look to be in the highest demand in the next 10 years. We'll see how their lines age and how maintenance plays a factor.

Please vote if you haven't already if you will be adding another f-car in that timeframe.

Robb

5. Pro Stock

Pro Stock Karting

Jul 5, 2008
    Toronto, Canada.
    Full Name:
    Ron V.
    I need to own a F355B within the next 3 years. After that I would like a F355 Challenge car. The 1/11 348 Challenge GT car built by Michelotto on race-cars.com looks fantastic too.

Then if money permits, I would LOVE a mint 333sp.

For now I will just keep on dreaming. :)

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    355 GTS. I liked my 355 but hated the top mechanism (it was a spider). I think the GTS is the best of both worlds.

512 TR. Need to experience the 12 cylinder and I think its one of the best looking F Cars of all time.

Thats really it...no desire to own anything else (unless I was able to afford a 288GTO)

7. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Show me a modern Ferrari's Cross-compatibility, in the electro-mechanical department, with any other model - it doesn't exist. The earlier cars, much of the underhood Bosch electricals, FI, and other engine-management stuff could be cross-referenced with VW, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Volvo, even DeLorean. Hence, the vast majority of Bosch parts for early Ferraris are readily available, and will be for quite some time to come. Even the FI Lambda computers and such. The stuff is expensive, but not impossible to obtain. The early Bosch FI/Lambda stuff is alittle tricky to troubleshoot, but not impossible for the layman/shade-tree mechanic who is familiar with European FI systems. The knowledge of these systems is readily shared and available, Bosch parts are very reliable, and the Bosch company is stable and continues to support their product line, even the old stuff going back 30 years - that's because Bosch realizes that automotove electrical systems do not 'age' well, and will eventually fail.

All that ended when Ferrari 'went its own way' with OBD-I and II (are we on OBD-III now?) hit the streets, and you needed a $25,000-$45,000 diagnostics computer to troubleshoot the complex engine-management computers - all software and hardware for the newer cars are VERY proprietary, almost unavailable to non-Factory-authorized dealerships, etc. The FI/emissions systems are getting more-and-more complex as the newer models keep rolling out, and sooner or later you will have a car that ONLY the dealership can possibly repair, IF they can at all. Many parts, KEY parts, for cars such as the 456, 288, F-40, TR/512TR, and others are already COMPLETELY obsolete and are not available anywhere. There aren't enough of these models in circulation to tempt an aftermarket vendor with a reasonable profit margin to support them, so there are no aftermarket spare parts for these cars, only OEM sources and cannibalized wrecks. These are cars that are NEWER than 308s/328s, yet funny how anything for the 3-series up to the 348 is still very plentiful. I bet you could walk into Ted Rutlands or Ricambi's warehouse TODAY and build a 308 or 328 from scratch using just their inventory - you probably couldn't do that with any of the newer cars out there.

You would think that the newer models or the 'supercars' are getting the best possible onboard automotive Electronics systems in the world - you would be dead wrong. Check out this thread, and be amazed:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72352

How would you like to completely reverse-engineer the entire electrical system of a Ferrari F-40 or 360 when the computers and circuit boards fail? Think many owners out there will stomach parking their $300,000 car for months, if not years, because a private team of Electrical Engineers have to re-create and remanufacture complex, proprietary ECU programming that Ferrari doesn't have 'on-the-shelf' anymore? Mark my words - most of the 'new' machines on the above list will NOT be running in ten years.

8. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Thanks for the clear write-up. Now I can see where some will be worried. I'm glad I have my 328. Now when I add my TR in the future, I may have buy a second or third donor car to keep in the shed as my own parts supply... ;)

I hope the poll can grab even more participation from those that don't post very often so we can all see where the market may be headed in the future...

Thanks to all that have already voted.

Robb

9. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    355 GTS or GTB 6 speed. Have thought about a 348, but think I would just save a little more and hold out for the 355. I could also see myself being sidetracked by a TR or Boxer. After all, I will have to have a 12 cylinder Ferrari at some point in my life, right? I think I will most likely keep my current Mondial for good. I got it for a great price, so I don't have too much money in it....may as well just hang on to it! Besides, it was my first Ferrari, and that is something special. Plus I just love driving the thing. And it makes a good contrasting companion Ferrari for a more hard edged performance oriented car like a 355 or Boxer.

There are two main types of car guys, and I have always tended to be the "accumulator" type of automotive enthusiast rather than the "exchanger" type. I need more garage space.

10. DaudiW.

DaudiW. Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe & USA
    Full Name:
    William David

GTS is absolutely priceless really... I had a Berlinetta before it, and the Berlinetta was fine, but the GTS has a more exclusive, and is virtually a coupe when the hardtop is replaced.

I originally wanted a 512M instead of the 599, but for our anniversary, we needed to get something she would enjoy driving equally to me. 512 would drive her crazy after a few months. Not to mention I have not found any "good/ideal" 512 Ms on the market. I had driven a TR and a Testarossa, and see those as Ferrari's best modern era v12 road cars. Great sound, rewarding drive (once you get used) and much easier to live with compared to an F50. . . But i think the best time to buy either of them has passed.. who knows.

11. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Sign me up for the 512TR bandwagon. Or the 355 assuming I can fit. Hell, the 348 is really starting to grow on me. Modern ferraris? no thanks. Lost their magic IMO.

12. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    #37 mjw599, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
    Is the SCUD coming out in a SCUD Spider?

Probably true, since they have many maintenance issues and are difficult to sell

13. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE

Was that really a needed comment?

Enjoy the car for what it is.

14. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I voted for the Challenge Stradale. It is the cheapest Ferrari in my desired list (288 GTO / 250 SWB / Daytona / CS)

15. DaudiW.

DaudiW. Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe & USA
    Full Name:
    William David
    #40 DaudiW., Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008

No the Scud is not coming out in spider form... he meant the scuderia and the spider collectively.

Funny you said that :)
    But I am happy to keep it, as its given me minimal issues - but its only driven 3 times a week, when i am in London, which is only half the year at most. So mine is relatively mint and issue-free.

But you are right, they can be unpleasent, aside from being a joy to drive. If you find a poorly maintained one, you would regret buying it for the cheaper price.

16. DaudiW.

DaudiW. Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe & USA
    Full Name:
    William David
    cheapest :D at nearly 250k... high standards mate

17. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Well I hope your pessimistic view does not come true!

n terms of numbers, the 360 and F430 will probably approach over 30K vehicles. I would think that this is enough of a market so that replacement components will be produced.

The ECU and other system software will not just dissappear. I think that the companies like Bosch and Marelli Magnetti (sp?) and Ferrari will keeps records and copies of them. Electrical components are getting less and less expensive to produce. So I don't think that in 10 years producing hardware that will run this software will be prohibitively expensive.

The health of Ferrari has something to do with this as well. In spite of the ill-will that many F Chatters who love the old timer models have for Ferrari today, Ferrari is stronger than ever. This is good for all owners as it helps secure the availability of parts and resources in the future. Perhaps the next time you want to throw Ferrari and Montezemolo under the bus for not making new cars in the image of the 308 or Testarossa, one should remember this.

GM and Ford, although much larger, are on a more perilous and uncertain financial footing. In ten years, they may be only shadows of their former selves, if they exist at all. Where are the Viper and GT-40 owners going to go for their parts then?

18. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I beg to differ. There will be more than adequate support for modern electronics in Ferraris. Enterprising companies and individuals will produce superior electronics when the current systems fail. There are 11k 355’s, 18k 360’s and, at this production rate, +25k 430’s. This is a more than adequate base for a very substantial business venture with the potential for high profit margins. My 355 uses a Bosch Motronic 5.2 engine management system. The same system as found in BMW, Porsche, Audi etc. The ECU in my Ferrari contains standard electronic components. The Processor is Ferrari programmed. There are many on this site that can replicate or improve on that processor. I can buy a Bosch MAF from Ferrari for $1k+ or the same part from Rock Auto for $300. Most of the parts are standard Bosch. Ferraris are the same as they have always been, sharing components with other manufacturers to maximize profit and availability. Just my opinion, worth about 2kb.

19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I agree with you obviously.

However, there is another question which one needs to consider. How relevent will your ten year old Ferrari be when compared to the current sports car including Ferrari's in the year 2019?

I bet a lot of us will be trading in the old for the new by then anyway.

20. Scuderia NoVA

Scuderia NoVA Formula Junior
    Owner

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    456M GT 6sp. for me. I've got twin boys and I'd love to be able to take them out for drives and for us to enjoy the fcar experience together as a family. At current pricing for these cars, getting into one seems pretty doable for an average Jose like me. 550 Maranello is about as close to a Daytona as I'll ever get too. I'll start skipping lunches now to have one or the other in my garage in 10 years or less. I've already had a V-8 (still do and hope to keep it forever). V-12 or walk, like the Bartman says.

Let the pouring-on of grief begin! Like my brother said to me, if you really want one, sure they make family sports cars, they're called Porsches. :) But now that I've reached a point in my life that minivans are (almost, but not quite) a reality, why not have a Family Ferrari too?

--Anthony

21. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    You're aware that Magnetti Marelli bought-out Carello, right? Magnetti has already made the 'market decision' to cease production on all Ferrari-only plastic components, including turn signal assemblies and 328 fog/signal clusters....simple, plastic items needed for thousands of Ferraris already 'out there'. If Magnetti doesn't see the market for simple-to-produce items like turn signals and other plastic pieces, I wonder how they'll feel about complex, equally-proprietary electronics products with equally-limited market. If Ferrari is so 'strong' today, why don't they just buy-out their OEM parts suppliers and guarantee that everything will be available forever? I don't see that happening, my friend. Just two years ago, I saw a 288 GTO parked at a Factory-authorized dealership for over a year because the fuse/relay assembly was completely NLA....this was for a true 'highline' car, at a factory-authorized dealership, working directly with Ferrari, Spa. A YEAR, PARKED. This, when Schumacher was winning, the cash was flowing freely to Maranello, and parts availability was/is still an issue.

22. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    What I meant by a strong Ferrari is that they are making a profit and not on the verge of bankruptcy and under threat of going out of business. I recall that was a chronic concern for them in the past.

Ferrari doens't make a lot of their plastic or electronic parts. But then again, most manufacturors don't either.

A 288 GTO is a rare car with low production numbers. Any such car is going to be more difficult to find spare parts, be it a Ferrari or other marque.

This brings us back to the topic of maintaining older Ferrari's. F Chatters seem to want it both ways. They lament and find fault with Ferrari's current production volumes. They want Ferrari's to be very rare. But then complain about the high cost of upkeep and problems finding parts.

You are right in saying that if the market for these parts are small, there may be no large aftermarket company willing to produce them. But I am sure there will be some way to find a used part with the exception of rare single digit models.

However with 360 and F430's production volumes, the doomsday ECU problems you have described I don't think is accurate. No offense. Time will tell of course.

23. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    +1 :D

24. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The 360 and 355 are starting to pull away... literally.

Should be plenty to choose from in the future. I really like the 355's shape and incredible sound.

Gotta save up for that TR to go with my 328. Will need a bigger garage. There is a house for sale here with a 48 car garage. I won't need that many.

Please still add your vote if you will be adding an f-car in the next 10.

Robb

25. andy6789

andy6789 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Milwaukee Wi
    Full Name:
    Andy
    in 10 years fi hope to be buying my first one hopefully sooner.