Which Exotic can you drive everywhere? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which Exotic can you drive everywhere?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Innovativethinker, Sep 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    RS5 isn't enough car for the money. That should have a v10 or TT-v8. Better to get a used r8. Plus OP stated exotic.

In the true exotic category, there's not many cars . Most are want to be exotic. No one mentioned the Spyker with Audi drive train should be very reliable.

So I'd say r8, 430, Spyker, Gallardo

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    VW makes a standard car called a Golf. A good car to get places. Then they make a Golf called a GTI which is their sports car. These GTi sport cars are a wonderful car and fun to drive.

They made a few cars that handle and perform above the GTI and it is called a Golf R for race. This car is a car that is just a blast to drive. If you look at my profile you know I own many cars and have owned and sold many more. This car for fun is the best I have ever driven. The gas mileage is also wonderful. I will not quote a number but it is very very high gas milage

I am a little embarrased to be so giddy about a VW but it is that good. I have had freind drive the car at various dealerships and they are just blown away. Did I mention they race these cars in Europe. They are not very expensive to buy.

Best

Lee

3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    It is an Aston martin

Lee

4. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Depends what your after. The Vantage was a little under powered with the 4.3L I'd look for a 4.7L. Vantage is very sexy but is limited with 2 seats and RWD for everyday year round use. With the Audi you always have the option to stuff people you don't like in the back seat. With all wheel drive and snow tires you have an excellent tractor in winter. Both cars have excellent interiors and the install of an exhaust makes either one sound crazy. For reliability, longevity and ease of service I'd give the nod to the Audi.

5. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    What is the porcupine perception?

6. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.

Q: What's the difference between a porcupine and a Porsche?

A: With a porcupine, the pricks are on the outside!!

Old joke, most commonly told by the "following the herd" types as noted by DGS. Sometimes it's BMW instead of Porsche.

7. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    30+ posts before someone mentions a NSX?

You guys are slipping ;-P

Brian

8. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    OP wants a newer car.

I'd say 911 Turbo, FF, DB9, 599. Any of these in the right color would blend in fairly well.

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I'd Love a Spyker...but boy would that break some necks with attention.

10. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Of course, it's an exotic ...lol

11. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Ahhh. Thank you sir!

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While I love both my Ferrari and Porsche, as long time Ferrari and Porsche owner, as well as FCA and PCA member, I have found my fellow Porsche owners are much less pricks that some, not all, of my fellow Ferrari owners. Plus, the Porsche owners actually drive their cars more.

13. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    What is your rational behind this way of thinking?

"I drive therefore I am my own man (person)".

14. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I think he means that there are places you would not want to take your exotic and leave it unattended. I live in Canada and can think of a few of those spots near me. If you don't mind paying your deductible every now and then it probably doesn't matter where you park.

15. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The R32 was the past. The R is an econo replacement that's a bit disappointing.
    Google for "AWD performance" and "everyday driver" for a utube review of the R vs the WRX vs the EVO.

None of which you could rightly call an "exotic".

Although the EVO doesn't have much trouble hanging with the "exotics".
    (Remember Clarkson waxing a Lambo with an EVO on Top Gear? -- although that was a UK-only "FQ" model.)
    (About ten years back, there was an impromptu little dash between an AMG and some kind of 911 (at dusk I can't tell 'em apart), and my little EVO VIII kept right along ... until the AMG had to peel off for gas. ;))

A GTR would be an "exotic" that would be under the radar for most people.
    (Although you could get an EVO X MR for half the money ... if you needed four real seats. ;))

16. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thank you but I did not misinterpret the meaning or intent, it could have been the 'displacement'.

17. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yes, agreed. This is the modern version of the NSX - and exotic that can be driven daily and there's little compromise to the driver.

Not sure I think of a Porsche as exotic - to the layman, it's difficult to tell a base from a higher end model, and I know from some non-car guys, they think the Cayman is a 911. FWIW.

18. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Never understood why some consider NSX an exotic versus quality sportscar. Its still a Honda

19. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Hand assembled, built in rather low numbers, many design innovations. I wouldn't argue with anyone who wanted to call it an exotic.

Heck, I was gonna suggest any of Maserati's newer offerings - pretty much nobody takes a second glance at those, and many would consider them "exotics."

20. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I agree with you on both both points (the NSX and the Maserati).

21. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree also.

22. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    :)

Although at 5mpg city and 8mpg highway I don't think this is the sort of car You will drive everywhere everyday

23. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    911 GT2 or GT3.
    They are exotics but stealth exotics.
    To 99% of the population they are normal 911's.

Do you want to impress yourself or others ?

24. MartyMcFly88MPH

MartyMcFly88MPH Karting

Jan 30, 2013
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Marty McFly
    SLS AMG or SL65? I think most people would see them as nice looking Mercs, not realizing their power (and price). The exhaust note may bring some attention, but who cares. Could also take it further and find a black edition. Or maybe a Maserati GT?

25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    R8.. Pushing it being exotic, but it's nice enough. Gallardo could fall into this category as well.