Which DSLR to buy? | FerrariChat

Which DSLR to buy?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by JavierT10, Jan 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JavierT10

JavierT10 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2006
    Monterrey, Mexico
    Full Name:
    Javier
    Hi

Since my friend jorge.enzo bought his Nikon D40 and I got to see it and shoot with it a couple of times I started to want to have one. So I have been checking some cameras and I started checking what Sony had to offer because i'd seen various Sony digital cameras and really liked them, but Sony is kinda new to DSLRs in comparison to brands like Canon or Nikon although Sony started doing them because of its acquisition of Minolta, those being great SLR cameras.

So I was seeing some models and I don't know what you thing but the prices were very good.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=3769

The starting price was $699 dls with a 10.2 megapixel A200 camera with lens included. You also got the same camera but with two lenses (18-70 mm, 75-300mm) for $899 dls. I think that for 10.2 mp the prices are good enough.

I haven't searched Nikon or Canon models yet but maybe someone can share it's experience with a Canon model (I already tested a Nikon) or if anyone has a Sony DSLR tell me how convenient is it.

Thanks in advance

EDIT:
    I just checked some Nikon models and the one that would be similar to the A200 or A100 (both 10.2 mp) is the D200 and with the same zoom lens the nikon would be at $1,899 dls and I read in a forum that they have little difference overall. The Sony a little bit more noise than the D200 but for a starter that wouldn't matter that much and if you take a look at the price is more than half the price of the D200.

Nice! Don't you think so?

2. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would go with a Nikon or a Canon, the number one thing to know about digital photography is that MP don't matter. Nikon and Canon have 50 years of experience in cameras.

3. JavierT10

JavierT10 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2006
    Monterrey, Mexico
    Full Name:
    Javier
    Yeah, but my point was that it had the same as the D200 and the price difference was a lot.

Anyway, thanks for your reply, i'll take that to consideration.

and like I mentioned above, take to consideration that sony acquired Konica Minolta. that brand did SLRs before so with the brand's knowledge and experience and with sony they can make a model that can keep up with canon and nikon. I mean it's not like an DSLR made from a newly stablished brand.

4. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I purchased a very well cared for used D70 from Mark (mchas) and all I can say is: Wow, cool camera! Anyway, a nicely used D70 might be a good deal as well.

Oh, and Thanks Again Mark!

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

5. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Take your budget, spend 2/3rds of it on a Nikon, and the other 1/3 on lenses/filters.

6. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I'd say reverse that.

7. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    haha, probably.

8. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I recently bought a DSLR and it's really a question of how much you want to spend and what features are important to you. More mega pixels alone won't make your pics better so look beyond for things like image stabilization, dust control, noise at higher ISO, etc. There's really no good/bad camera when comparing top brands, again find out what is important to you.
    Canon and Nikon would certainly do the trick but other manufacturers like Sony, Olympus, Pentax have products that will take pictures just as good especially if you are starting out. Beaware that the nikon D40 has the autofocus mechanism in the lense and not in the camera body like most making the lenses more expensive or having to forego the autofocus functionality if you attach a regular lense.

By default I also started looking at Nikon and Canon but eventually figured out that Olympus had a camera/lense kit that offered the features/size/price I needed.

Go to www.dpreview.com. There's a wealth of information on equipment reviews and discussion forums.

[JavierT10: mandame un PM si quieres una lista de los e-retailers serios que tienen los mejores precios]

9. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
  10. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You are very welcome. I'm still waiting to see more pictures in the random pictures thread!!

As for the original question - I'd highly recommend Canon or Nikon. Once you learn more about DSLRs you'll quickly realize how important different lenses are, and Canon and Nikon have a zillion (and as someone said, they've been making them forever). Do your research before you buy anything though because once you go with one brand, you're stuck. I had a Nikon zoom lens for a 35mm camera and as a result, I felt like I needed to buy a Nikon DSLR so I could use that lens. (I have a D300 now).

11. Gemm

Gemm Formula 3

Aug 19, 2005
    Essex, England
    I'd also recommend Canon or Nikon. There's nothing wrong with other makes but you are buying into a system when you buy a DSLR, and you'll notice how complete Nikon & Canon are as a system. There's also more availability of lenses and accessories (and don't forget the huge number of 2nd hand items too in comparison with other makes). When you see all these pros using Nikon & Canon, you'd be wanting one too. :D

12. tl731

tl731 Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2004
    Staten Island , NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas L.
    have you checked out other forums out there dedicated to dlsr photography ??

dpreview.com
    nikonian.org
    fredmiranda.com
    dgrin.com

the last 3 have buy/sell forums too, I purchased all of my gear preownd and you can get excellent deals.

best of luck

13. Razzer92

Razzer92 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2006
    I have a Canon Rebel XTi, and i bought a 17-85IS with 3 filters, its a great camera and lens.
    Its a good budget SLR but when you get the lens everything will be over 1500..

14. JavierT10

JavierT10 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2006
    Monterrey, Mexico
    Full Name:
    Javier
    thanks a lot for your comments guys

So after I checked the site fluque gave me, another model came into my options.

Olympus E510
    It has image stabilization, live view, 10 megapixels (only saying, not that matters at all), and some other features. Also, it produces good images, taking to consideration that it comes with kit lenses. It would be $675 with two lenses included. Considering that it is in the level of the D40x.

What do you think of this camera? Olympus is also kinda experienced right?

15. tl731

tl731 Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2004
    Staten Island , NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas L.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse510/

i liked the e510, but i found i liked the nikon brand more. just my opinion.

Have you gone to a reputable camera store or Best Buy or somewhere that carries all of these cameras ?
    I highly suggest going in, picking up the camera and see how if feels in your hand.
    On paper i thought i was set on the Xti or the d40, but once i went and held the camera i found that they didn't feel right to me.
    Thats why i ended up with the d50, the body is a little bigger for my hands, and the overall build quality felt better to me.

Its a significant purchase, and you are smart asking all of these questions now

best of luck

16. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Canon has the best color rendition. I own a Canon 5D and Nikon D300. Each has its advantages; Nikon fast and crisp, Canon great colors and low light capability with fantastic L lenses.

Check out: kenrockwell.com he is simply the best at testing the cameras, and unbiased too.

17. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If you are worried about the MP and the price take a look at the D80, its got 10 and supports all lenses. You can probably get one for about $800ish.

18. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I owned an olympus DSLR. Noisy even at low ISO. I returned it.

19. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I have an Olympus E-510 and like it a lot. To answer your question Olympus has been around for quite a while and makes quality products.

Canon Rebel XTi and Nikon D40X were also among my options, all great 10MP cameras and priced similarly. What sold me on the E-510 was the compact size, image stabilization (IS) for lowlight and telephoto shots, affordable lens selection and live view. The E-510 is the smallest of all full feature DSLRs, in-body IS makes lenses more compact and the dust cleaning mechanism is a good feature to have. Mind that Olympus uses a 4/3’s format, there’s plenty lense selection but clearly not as much as Canon and Nikon.

Go to a local store and hadle the cameras you are considering, you won't make a mistake with any of them. BTW I've not experienced particular noise at different ISO's.