Which Car Would You Buy And Why? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which Car Would You Buy And Why?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Texas Forever, Sep 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which Car Would You Buy?

1. BMW E30 M3

2. Ferrari 328 GTS

3. Porsche 911 C4

4. Porsche 944 Turbo

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    #26 bpu699, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Dale, I have owned 3 of the cars listed. M3, 944 turbo, 911 ( well, 911s and 930)...

The 944 is a very solid, dirt cheap, car. You can pick up a modified one with some track gear like a roll bar for $10k... Fun, dirt cheap, handles great, doesn't feel all that fast. If you want a track car, this is he way to go.

If you want mostly street miles, get the 911. If you have ever owned one, you will be addicted. Awesome cars, tons of fun on the track. Way more expensive than a 944...

M3 is cool. More of a street car.

The older I get, the more safety stuff I want on the track. A rollover or good impact in a non airbag equipped 80s car is gonna hurt... A lot.

All these cars are fun on the track. On the highway, a Honda accord would outshine everyone of them.

If you intend to do track days, buy a track prepped 944turbo, or a Boxster with some track upgrades.... Though the 944 would be more durable...

If you can afford to track and break the 911, and get some safety gear in it... Get that...

328 and race track aren't synonymous... Expensive, slow, expensive, if something breaks...expensive. Performance level on track of a Honda Accord...

I had my testarossa on the track once. Not fun.

2. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I voted 944 Turbo, but would actually advise finding a 944 S2 (1989-1991) over the Turbo.

It got the Turbo's chassis & brakes, but has a sweet 3.0L 16-valve NA engine that has plenty of torque and also revs well up top.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I dunno, based on cars.com, I think it's about right. only problem is they're a little scarce, but Tim Holt has 3 or 4 really nice ones.

Oh, and Tim is always the high water mark for low miles, high priced 911's. (at least up north.) I bought two cars from him over the years, always very nice condition and low miles. The last was a 1990 C2, as shown above.

I do have one buddy who had a bad experience with him. But overall, most folks speak very highly of his cars.

So, Dale, if you want a C4 or C2, he's an excellent source for very clean used Porsches.

D

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    he's got $40k c2s ????

5. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Tim? Nah, not in this lifetime, but as I stated, he's the gold standard when it comes to max price min miles. But he can find anything when it comes to 911's.

Cars.com has a few.

Still bums me out, sold mine ten years ago, should have held onto it. ONLY CAR I EVER SOLD THAT MY WIFE WAS PISSED OFF AT ME FOR SELLING.

The Dino? Nah, waved bye bye as we loaded it on the truck.
    The 360 - Nah, didn't even blink.
    M3, TR6, and a couple others? Nope, never shed a tear.
    Her Mercedes 550 something or other - nope, she preferred the Ford Edge we replaced it with.

BUT the 911? She's still pissed, TEN YEARS LATER!!!

It was a really great car. I had Dopke Design upgrade the brakes and chip the motor, it was really sweet.

D

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Funny thing is the C2 had a higher value on Haggerty. I went with the C4 because I thought that might be a fluke.

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Absent meet henryr :)

8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Even the 944 turbo? It agree on the base car.

9. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

C4 is cheaper because EVERYONE knows they are slower, and cost a **** ton more to maintain than the C2. :D

D

10. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i didnt like the c4. mine was an 89. it has diff driving dynamics than the c2.

i had franz blam do some suspension work and it was improved over factory but it still didnt have the light toss able feel that the c2's have

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Uh, how can I say this without making a lot of you mad? In the past, I have been offered 3X8 cars for almost nothing. I passed every time. Just doesn't work for me.

But, you're right about paying $100K+ for a 328, that kind of dough puts it w-a-y out of the driver category. For that kind of money, I could buy a F360 and run circles around a 328.

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Interesting. I always thought the 911 was more expensive to repair.

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    True, I have owned, I think, 4 911s. A 1973.5 T, a 2002 C4, a 2004 C4S, and a 2003 TT. But like Lorena in Lonesome Dove, it's bad luck to go backward. :)

I went with miatas after a Ferrari parts guy told me the hood on my Maranello was $8K.

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Cool, what about a 968?

15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    That explains it!

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    After thinking about it, I'd probably go with the 944 turbo in this group. I got interested in the e30 M3s; but, wow, are they expensive. I could buy two e36 M3s for that kind of money. The 911 is always an option, but the ones between 1974 and 1989 have never been my favorite. Oh, and the 328? Looks great, but...

Next up, is a poll on cars from 1999.

17. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I only have experience with the Ferrari and the two Porsche's.

The Ferrari makes awesome sounds, and looks hot, but if you're driving it regularly, even if the model as a whole appreciates, high mileage production Ferrari's will not. You pick the Ferrari because you want to and can afford it, not because it makes sense.

A turbo just adds to your maintenance repair nightmares, the 944 is a hodgepodge design. It really does need some chassis bracing if you want a good track feel.

The 911 can be made to compete with the Ferrari in sound if you modify a little. I by nature drive with a style that causes me to love the 911 most. I like the fold down trunk space the 944 offers which is the major reason I have 944's instead of a 911.

Not familiar with the BMW at all.

18. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The 968 is the ultimate evolution of the 924/944 line.

That said, they were hand built in much lower numbers so even harder to find and somewhat collectible to boot.

Still, a well used / maintained 968 could be the best choice of the lot!

19. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    problem i see with that list is 1-3 are investment cars now.....

should add a e36 m3, cayman, boxster

20. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i just bought a c4 zr1........

bang for the buck you cant beat

we'll see

21. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I voted the 328 because of all the cars I have owned and sold I miss it the most.

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Interesting. Give us an update when you can.

23. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    as far as i can tell, they are the only thing left from the 80's that hasnt gone berzeck....

24. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #49 4CamGT, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I love my '89 964 C4! It has about 135,000 miles on it. Totally bulletproof!!! Go anywhere anytime. It is the true recipient of the 959. I specifically looked for the first year no airbag model. When I first got it, my friends would ask, why'd you buy that? I let them drive it. After that the question became, can you help me find one? I have nothing but great things to say about it. Go to the Rennlist 964 forum and you'll see why!

Freeman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Take care of that windshield! Not an easy part to source. That LT-5 motor is a thing of beauty, though, and smooth as silk!