Which 600 sportbike should I buy? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Which 600 sportbike should I buy?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by fpb, Jan 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That would be correct...But, my 55hp HD did cost more and require more maintenance than my 197hp Hayabusa...

2. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    Turbo 'Busa! Nah, just kidding. Take a look at the new ZX6R. It no longer has the "dip" in midrange torque like last year. The topend rush is healthier too (8 more HP than last year.). It lost 23 lbs (down to 421 wet.) The slipper clutch is very good too. Peak power is @ 13,500 rpm with an over-rev to 15,500rpm, then it trails off @ 16,500rpm, then it's time to shift!

3. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    without getting into the "should you buy a 600 I4 sport bike" discussion.. cuz that is a whole different kettle of worms...

they are all pretty much the same... buy the one that fits you best and is best suited for the type of riding you do and your skill level.

Dont count out bikes like the FZ6, GSX650F or even a used Honda F4i as they may suit you better.

4. Randy Harris

Randy Harris Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    R.C. Harris
    I'm a total newbie to this bikes and boats area as I hang out in a different part of the Forum. But I just wanted to say I've read through this thread about the OP who's interested in a good 600cc sport bike. I hung up my Bell Star nearly 20 years ago so I cannot comment on what would or would not be a good choice for the fellow. This has been an interesting discussion however.

I've often wondered if I was still riding whether I'd be kissing the tank or blowing in the wind. I did both in my day and I gotta tell ya, on a 1/4 faired Honda CB750SS I had more fun than one person could ever be allowed to have. I see todays sport bikes, some with smaller displacement, screaming through the hills with 16 yr olds hanging on at apex speeds that I could have only dreamed about in 1975 (there, I dated myself). I know bikes and technology have come a long way, but in my opinion, they have also pushed the envelope in terms of safety. These bikes today seem to have huge HP and torque, super-sticky tires, insane lean angles and, for me at least, totally uncomfortable riding positions. Yet, sometimes I would give anything for half a day on a Ducati Desmo in the hills. I switched to vintage sports cars 25 years ago, that's my version of a bike ride today. Anyway, nice to meet you all,
    ride safe and enjoy....
    Randy
    '68 XKE, '66 Austin Healey BJ8

former owner in the following order:
    '56 BSA "Victor" 441 Thumper (high school partnership - parents didn't know)
    '67 Triumph Bonneville
    '72 Honda CB550
    '75 Honda CB750 SS
    '76 Kawasaki Z1 scariest ride in the world!
    ' 80 BMW R1000

5. fpb

fpb Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    MI, Chicago
    I've done bit more research and now I think I'm leaning toward the GSXR. The Kawasaki and Yamaha were very uncomfortable. I would prefer a slipper clutch and the Honda doesn't have one. Plus, I think I can get a deal on the Suzuki-a dealer near me has 4 leftover 2008s. Thanks for the replies.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    You will never go wrong with Suzuki IMHO

7. JoeyM

JoeyM Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    RI
    Full Name:
    Joey M
    have had lots of bikes from all the 4 jap brands from 50 to 1000 cc's. they are all good like people have said.

at this point, a 600 cc sportbike is probably more bike than any of us have talent for. so i agree, pick based on ergonomics and looks as well as which you can get the best deal on.

8. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    +1....:D....there is no "BEST" bike these days. The best one for you is the one you are most comfortable on and the one you like to look at in your garage.....the performance differences are so slight only professional riders can distinguish between them. Street riders will never push any of these bikes to their real limits even on the track.

trust me, I have them all...:eek:

www.SouthBaySportBikeRentals.com

www.Rent-A-SportBike.com

9. fpb

fpb Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    MI, Chicago
    I found an '08 white GSXR with 1,000 miles for $7500 obo. I was thinking of offering $7000 (or less). Does anyone know if this is a good price?
    Thanks!

10. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    unless you are racing a slipper clutch is not that needed on a 600.... even if you are racing, a slipper clutch on a 600 is not reeeeeeeaaaaaalllly needed.

11. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    Don't get a liter bike for your first street bike...I promise you will NEVER need anything faster than a 600 on the street.

12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    +1

and if its a 600 or 750, you shouldn't spend more than $6500 in this market

13. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    read it again.... he doesnt say he found a 1000cc bike.... GSXR 600.... the bike has 1000 miles on it.

14. fpb

fpb Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    MI, Chicago
    Right, it's a 600. Also, I think it was you that said I don't need a slipper clutch. Some people tell me yes and some say no; can you explain a little more why I wouldn't need it? I've never had a slipper clutch.

So do you guys think $6500 is a target price for an 08 with low miles? What about a new leftover 08 at a dealer? Also, this is not my first bike, I just haven't bought a motorcycle in a looong time.

Thanks

15. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    ahh I see ...my mistake. It's priced too high for a 600 so I assumed it was a 1k.

$6500 would be a remarkable deal on a new bike...for a used one however you can get the best deal on a Suzuki since there are so many of them for sale. Leftover 08s can bring a good deal too, and I actually saw a leftover 07 (albeit Honda) for sale a few weeks ago at a local dealer.

A slipper clutch relieves the effect of engine breaking...it's another one of those things people did fine without for a long time til they didn't know they had them. It definitely can save your ass if you over-rev the engine during a turn or while braking.

16. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Regarding the price, I would shoot for 7k on it if you can. 6500 would be a great deal. I don't know what part of the country you are in though. Head over to squid.com (gixxer.com) and see what resale values.

Regarding slipper clutches, if you have never had one then you are probably used to rev matching. Slippers just let you get away with having no throttle/clutch management and prevent wheel lockup on downshifts.

17. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    #67 Axecent, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
    Slipper clutches are probably 'actually slipping' more on big, high compression twins than I-4's, during hard braking while downshifting. The hard braking is taking weight off the rear tire and the downshifting is placing back torque forces on the rear tire and therefore, the tire can start to hop or lose tracttion (the back torque actually causing the rear tire to lose traction, especially if you are adding turning forces on smaller contact patch on side of tire). It is a more prevalent issue on twins than I-4s in street form, and that is where the first factory stock use of them became common (my 2000 Aprilia Mille had a vacuum actuated slipper clutch; when you rolled off the throttle, the forces through the plates reduced and could allow slippage, as opposed to mechanical ramp style slippers in most other machines). If you are trail braking into a turn hard on the track while downshifting the transmission into the gear you are going to use for exiting the apex and drop the clutch out, the slipper will, depending on it's setup, help control if or how much rear wheel slip you get.....some bikes actually don't use slipper clutches but instead have electronic injection control that assists in preventing back torque by continuing to apply some injection to one cylinder to assist in keeping rearwheel traction through small amount of power delivery (MV).

If you are an average rider and ride within your proper limits on the road, a slipper clutch is probably rarely if ever going to be felt by a sensitive rider. If you are going to be doing track days and riding fairly aggresively, then it is a nice option to have. You can buy aftermarket slipper clutches for almost anything out there, if you decide to work your way up to where you think you need one.

BTW, if you get a bike with a slipper clutch, you cannot push start it when you have a dead battery or a flooded carb or fouled plug.....it prevents applying torque FROM the back wheel into the engine.

Slipper Clutch 101 completed.

AXE

18. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    well said.

here is a little tip...

on the street... you dont need one, period.

is it "cool".. meh. On a I4 600 you are unlikely to ever feel or need it.

on the track, learn to ride fast and smooth without one. When you are seeking that last .5 second a lap that you cant gain from improving your riding abilities, turn to upgrading your hardware by adding a slipper clutch, or buying bike with one. Until then... you really dont need one.

19. shakazulu12

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    I know its not a 600, but for reference, there is a Honda dealership on Ebay selling new 08 CBR1000rr's for 7300, no miles.

20. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Reserve not met on those yet, so we don't know where or if they will sell. I would be surprised it they would take less than $9k. The '07's by the same dealer might go in the 8's.

I looked at a few 999 auctions that ended recently. If Ebay is indicative of the market, sheesh I will just keep mine. I'm not giving it away for $6500. My 851 is probably worth more :(

21. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    Excuse my inexperience, but where can I find recent 600s for that price??? I walked into the Honda dealership and was quoted ~9k for a used '07 CBR600. I must be looking in the wrong places. Canada isn't great for the bike market.

Anyone here has experience buying from the US and exporting to Canada?

22. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you went to a dealer to start with!

try craiglist, ebay, etc

FYI, I paid ~9k for a NEW '07 CBR600!

Here are all the '07 CBR600's on ebay. note the "buy it now" prices. happy shopping!:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/Motorcycles___W0QQMake247a0eZHonda42abae4QQModel4710b09ZCBR103d3QQModelYearf0c65f14Z20071774c5QQEngineSizec5480b1fZ501600cc9c4e57ffQQ_flnZ1QQ_ssovZ1QQ_trksidZp4506Q2ec0Q2em1?_trksid=p4506.c0.m1

23. shakazulu12

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston

The buy it now on his other listings was $7,750 and there was no reserve on any of the listings I saw.

24. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    Thank you for the link, I'm quite behind when it comes to online shopping and have always been afraid to use it to buy a vehicle. I will look into the bikes for sale, prices are way more realistic for me!
    Now to figure out how to import it to Canada...

Thanks again!

25. fpb

fpb Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    MI, Chicago
    Thanks for the info shakazulu12. Maybe it's the ones I've seen, but it seems like there are fewer deals on Hondas.

Thanks for the explanation on slipper clutches Axecent and Choptop.