Which 600 sportbike should I buy? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which 600 sportbike should I buy?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by fpb, Jan 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 68rcodemustang

68rcodemustang Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Mullet
    don't be a wuss.

get a 1000

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FYI, my current Hayabusa(1340cc) is the easiest bike to ride that I have ever owned. A beginner could very well start with a Busa as long as he had the discipline to keep off the throttle until he took a few classes and gained some experience. If a beginner tried to get on the throttle too soon though, that 197hp would likely bite him...hard!

3. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This thread reminds me of something I saw a couple of years ago... I was in the parking lot of my Alma mater (Southwestern University in Georgetown, TX) and there were 3 young men and a VERY NICE new 600cc bike... I think it was an R6, but might have been the Honda product of the day (3 years ago, I think now). So, one of the boys owned it and another one was "helping" and the kid on the bike was being coached. Finally they let him go and he goes about 40' and ditches the bike! He did not have a CLUE how to turn or stop the thing! I was dying! What IDIOT thinks it is smart to LEARN to ride on ANY street bike?! OMG! Get off road on a dirt/trail/MX bike for your first SEVERAL YEARS of riding or you are DOOMED to a very painful existence or death! There is no way to learn stuff on the street that you will learn on the dirt (at least not and do it safely)...

James

4. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    I wish they sold 400cc race reps in the US. They would make a killing on them. I "downgraded" to my RVF400 and love it. I don't get left behind ever unless a really long straight comes up. There are times where I wish I had more power, and in fact, I'll be picking up a bigger bike this year to augment it. But I could just as easily ride the rest of my life on my little 400 and be happy.

Then again, I'm a twisties guy, and never pose at Starbucks

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I agree.While my first street bike was a 750H2, my first motorcycle was a Honda CL100...I then went to a Suzuki TS185 and TM250 which I raced for several years before getting my first street bike...

6. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka

My story is probably "dumber". I went out and bought a brand new Harley Davidson Fatboy. I had a buddy drive it back to my house for me. After he left, I started it up and drove around the block twenty times. Had never driven a bike before. 50,000 miles later and no accidents, I love it. But, I always tell people that ask how I got into riding, "Don't do what I did!".

Mike

7. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    #32 Axecent, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
    Yeah, those Ducati people don't know anything about V-2 engines in sportbikes.........or any of the V-2 GP 250cc racers that are the fastest cornering bikes on the planet.

8. SKXF430

SKXF430 Karting

Oct 19, 2004
    W. Los Angeles
    +1,000,000,000

9. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Parker, glad to read you are already a big biker... When I don't get the persons resume before and hear they are looking at 600 sport bikes I get a little apprehensive! My doctor friends in the ER call them Donor bikes because most of the best internal organs for transplant come from these young guys who get one as their first motorcycle!

James

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I agree 100%...

11. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    While a lightweight 400 might be in reality a great sportbike, they have never been a success in the US. The CB-1, FZR400, and Bandit 400 were dismal sales failures. Bikes like that are tough to market. Make them cheap by cutting component quality, and few experienced riders would want one. Put top brakes and suspension on it and they cost the same as a 600, few would choose less power for the same money.

IMO the 400's are popular outside the US where there are tiered licensing laws or punitive tariffs on bigger bikes.

12. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

Please........

Darrell.

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I had a HD Fatboy for 12 years...it was a turd in both handling and performance. ~55hp out of 1340cc...But, I did forget to mention that V-twins do make nice air compressors ... http://westslope.craigslist.org/tls/992523646.html

14. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    There's always one on every forum.........

15. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    If I wanted a light flickable bike, I would look at just the GIXXER 750.

16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Same here...

L-Twins? Now that's another story ;)

17. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    Nice to hear an HD rider speak the truth! Japanese bikes FTW?

18. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John

Yeah, yeah....OK. I stand corrected: on the Ducati only. You'd think since I have been riding ducs for 20 years that I might have been a little more careful......

19. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

So you are comparing your Harley motor to a Ducati????

Com on...

Darrell.

20. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    For cost, reliability, and performance you can't go wrong with any of the 4 japanese brands. You could just pick the one that you think looks the best, or is the most comfortable, or you get the best deal on. It's pretty much a no-lose situation. I'd pick up an R6, but would be thrilled with any of them.

Personally I'd steer clear of any Ducati, Triumph, Moto Guzzi, et cetera for a *first* bike unless you just absolutely have to have it.

21. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Murdercycle.

PS; +1 on a older Ducati. And it wont depreciate like a rice bike.
    There is always going to be someone faster. Go for class.

22. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John

I have a 675 and a speed triple....I have had not ONE single problem with either bike....have about 4K miles on each and they have been dead reliable. Why would anyone steer clear of a Triumph? The 675 is a great alternative to the I4 600's IMO. The new street triple R is probably really gonna be a great bike with more forgiving ergos for us older guys.

23. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Well, a Harley is more reliable and cost less to maintain I suppose...

24. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

Wow, you mean that the 55hp HD you owned, didn't take as much maintenance as a 150hp Ducati. My god, that's hard to imagine.
    As for reliability, the Ducatis I've owned have been very reliable, as well as the Harleys.

Darrell.

25. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    Try one of each......

www.SouthBaySportbikeRentals.com