Which 3.2 water pump? | FerrariChat

Which 3.2 water pump?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by billh1963, Apr 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    #1 billh1963, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    As I posted the other day, looks like my water pump is shot.

So, here are my options (Using ebay listings for convenience):

1. "Cheap" Italian made pump:
    Ferrari 308 328 Mondial Water Pump 121255 with Gasket Italian Made New | eBay

2. Ferrari (?): New Water Pump Assembly Gasket for Ferrari 308 328 Mondial 8 QV 3 2 | eBay

3. Nick's Forza pump: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nicks-Forza-Ferrari-308-328-Hi-Performance-Water-Pump-NEW-in-Box-/191552410081?hash=item2c9969d1e1&vxp=mtr

4. Rebuilt Unit: Ferrari 208 308 GT4 GTS Mondial Big Bearing Rebuilt Water Pump 2 Year Warranty | eBay

Thoughts from the group? I'm leaning towards Nick's....

2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Yes I would also go with Nicks, but what makes it high performance? Did you call and ask?

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 soucorp, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No to above (1 & 2) because the impellar is plastic and can break off.
    Find one with a metal or aluminum impellar, Nicks is okay, but you are paying extra for the new pully that you already can reuse your old one. I paid $350 for a new WP a few years ago on ebay for my 3.2, works terrific and I never have any over heating issues. You can certainly go the rebuilt route as well and stay all original. See pics below:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Thanks, Mike. Based on the stamped part number it looks like you went with option 1 (which is the Italian reproduction)?

Did you change it yourself? Did you use instructions online? The manual ( as far as I can tell) doesn't have anything on how to change the pump.

It looks like I can remove the nuts holding the pump to the housing and pull it straight out. I don't want (or need) to replace the thermostat or other components. Another concern is how to remove and replace the tensioner.

5. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    I did not call; however, his website has a great description on the differences between his pump and a stock unit ...a different impeller design, much more robust shaft and bearings, etc.

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 soucorp, Apr 10, 2015
    Hi Bill,
    Not sure if its #1 I went with but mine had an impellar made of aluminum and yes I changed it myself. It was easy compared to doing the cambelts.
    My new WP is this one in the picture, still of the original in my garage somewhere to be rebuilt.

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would replace the thermostat with a new one, its pretty cheap while you are at it.

See my thread on cambelt replacement: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/406347-belt-replacements-mondial-3-2-a.html

The waterpump section starts here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/406347-belt-replacements-mondial-3-2-a-3.html

Best,
    Mike

8. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    :)

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I was reading up on differences between early and later models (mine is 1986) and as I recall, the 1986 has a much improved pump bearing or sleave, or something.

10. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    I had my water pump rebuilt by the Flying Dutchman about a year ago. A year later, the seals failed again. I bought a new one on eBay, part #121255. It appears to be the same as your option #1, but if you don't like that seller, Ferrparts has two of them on eBay. The impeller is NOT plastic, it's cast. I seem to remember reading somewhere in the 3x8 thread that the different impeller design with the holes in the impeller improved water flow. I cannot attest to that from first hand experience, I just put in my new water pump two weeks ago.

Pulling and replacing the water pump was a pretty simple job. I'm not sure why you want to remove or replace the tensioner; just loosening the two tensioner bracket bolts gives you plenty of room to get the pump out. Is there something wrong with your tensioner that you want to remove and replace it? If you do want a new tensioner, there's one on eBay:

Ferrari 308 328 Mondial Belt Tensioner Pulley Part 105051 | eBay

11. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    It looked to me like the tensioner might have to be removed to replace the water pump. If that's not the case then that's great!

12. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    David is correct that things have been improved for easy access. For a 3.2 you can remove the water pump by only removing the water pump and alternator belt. Now that is in the ideal world when your water pump is not stuck after unbolting, which is almost never the case.

When you have unbolted it take a wood chisel and gently separate the water pump from the thermostat housing from the top. Once the sealing is cracked it will be easy by hand. I always remove the tensioner to have more space for movement. Put the flat side of the wood chisel on the side of thermostat housing in the split where the gasket sits so that it pushes the water pump off. Or take the whole lot of including the thermostat housing by disconnecting the 2 hoses behind the housing. Hope you can reach it without taking to much away for the last option. (take away the airfilter at least)

Ps. all water pumps fit.. from Mondial 8 to the 3.2 as far as the 308. I have a 308 water pump on my 3.2. I have tried the water pump that Mike is showing, but the ones I got were leaking after 4000 miles and bearings got destroyed (because of the leak). After a second (replacement) which started to leak again. I decided to rebuild my own, which is fitted already for 3000 miles without leaking. It might be that I was just unlucky with this new model, but I will keep on rebuilding from now on.

13. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Are you guys using anything on the gaskets? In the British car world Some use axle grease on the gasket. I'm not a big fan of permeated or other sealants; however, it looks like many use that.

As fas as water pump life, I really am torn. Part of me wants to go with the pump from Nick....I'm sure it was last a long time. The realist side of me says it's overkill.

This last pump was rebuilt when I had the major done about 1.5 years ago. It's ridiculous that so many pumps have such a short like.

14. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #14 soucorp, Apr 12, 2015
    I used permatex gasket sealer for water pumps, works wonderfully, never had 1 leak, its been 2 years now.
    I swear the WP I used works terrific, its been 2k miles since I've changed it and my engine's never performed better!

Cheers

15. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Does the forza pump just bolt on and use stock belts? If so looks like a good idea.

16. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #16 soucorp, Apr 13, 2015
    Yes, looks like a direct bolt on. Its high performance because Nick custom engineered his to have a lightweight pulley and a 20% higher output based on his impellar design.

Nick explained that pump output is limited by something called cavitation. That’s a fluid dynamics term that basically means the pump impellers can cause bubbles in the cooling liquid which actually inhibit cooling and can cause hot spots and wear.

link to write up: Upgrading a 1978 Ferrari 308 GTS: Cooling System Part 2 | Motorsports Marketing Resources

conclusion: Would I use Nick's WP? Probably over kill when the OE works just fine for my car.

17. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    #17 billh1963, Jun 15, 2015
    Finally got my lazy butt in gear and changed the water pump. It's 100F around here so the garage is like an oven. Took about three hours (including cool down breaks) to pull the pump and replace it. Have to get some green antifreeze (anyone have a recommended brand?) and will start it up tonight. Fingers crossed that I don't have any leaks.

18. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
  19. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    The car currently has Green antifreeze so I went out at lunch and bought the Peak Green offering. It says it's for all cars pre 1988. So, I hope that will work.

I couldn't see the color of the Prestone at the parts store and didn't want to mix orange or other colors.

20. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    From which point did you drain the coolant? It matter a bit as 10ltr might stay behind depending where you drained it. (Best place is from either of the center pipe sides. (and disconnect both!)
    Great work so far!

21. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    I was lazy and just pulled the pump. I used a sheet of aluminum (formed into a sort of funnel) to channel it away from the engine into a catch pan. It looks like 10L or so drained out.

New pump is on....have to refill the system, open the bleeders and crank her up!

22. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    :):)
    In this case I would put in the same type as what came out.
    FYI: 14Ltr stayed behind.

23. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Put in the new antifreeze (two around two gallons) and let the car get up to temperature in the carport for around 15 minutes. No leaks (that I can tell) and bled the system a couple of times. Temperatures stayed "cool" (considering its 100F here today) so I'm well pleased.

Looks like the pump replacement was a success! I'll drive the car later this week to verify everything is good. I'm waiting on the temperature to break a little...even with a/c the Mondial can get quite warm!

24. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    This is a great thread. Hope never to need any of this information but if every it is needed here it is!

25. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    #25 billh1963, Jun 16, 2015
    One item that wasn't mentioned here is that there is an o-ring on the back of the waterpump housing that fits against the engine block. If you don't pull the complete housing out, you wont be able to replace it.

Once you're in this far you might as well change it!

(second picture showing the front view is from the Birdman site)