Whether to buy original or repro tools and pouch sets? | FerrariChat

Whether to buy original or repro tools and pouch sets?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by ryanbushell, Feb 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Whether to buy original or repro?

1. Original

2. Repro

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ryanbushell

ryanbushell Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Hi all,

I was wondering what the consensus was with regard to tools and pouches, whether one should endeavour to find originals, at a very high cost, or whether accurate reproductions are the way to go?

Personally, I am one for originality. Parts, tools, manuals, it all gives the car an extra dimension and ultimately results in higher auction and sales prices. The history is key. I do understand that the cost of these pouches, manuals and tools are astronomical and ever increasing, but IMO they are fundamental parts of a cars history.

This brings me on to the fact that seeking original pouches and tools seems to have been dealt a hefty blow as they do not result in higher points at concours. IMO they should most definitely be awarded with a extra points for a number of factors, including cost, the fact that they are very scarce, and also that they provide the ORIGINAL history for the car. With regard to points at concours, if the originals don't deserve extra points, then won't we see a gradual decline in prices for these items as people can in theory, easily buy very accurate reproductions for far less than an original pouch set or tool kit will cost?

Many Thanks

2. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Original tools are great, but then you never know if those specific tools came from that specific car. They are quite generalized and the closest you will get is that a particular set of tools came from that model.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have the correct ones for my cars, but a new 328 roll is nicer, than a beat up 308 roll!!

4. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #4 Enigma Racing, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Agreed. Having an original tool kit that matches the car does make it that little bit special as does finding the correct hand book and pouch.

The enjoyment to me is finding the individual tools rather than buying a completed set. I spent ten years putting together a tool kit for a 250 outside plug car only to spend another seven years putting together an inside plug tool kit. I have not got there yet and I still have some annoyingly shiny repro tools in the kit filling in the gaps while I search and yes the later tools are available for trade.

What does surprise me is the high percentage of repro or incorrect tools being passed off as original. Be very careful. Added to this are the many owners of extremely expensive cars that are under the impression that the equally expensive toolkit that they purchased with the car is original too.

It may sound strange but the feeling of achievement when the kit is complete will be quickly replaced by a felling of loss that the enjoyable search is over.

Any suggestions on how to age later BETA 55 spanners ?

Kim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Give them to your kids for a week.

6. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Beta 55 is not the same as Auto-Beta No. 55 or Beta No.55.

8. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Agreed. I am still looking for a few Auto Beta No 55 spanners to make up the correct set. The picture shows a complete but sadly modern set

9. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Wouldn't it be great if someone published a definitive book on Ferrari tools, bags and pouches

10. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Needle in a hay stack comes to mind. However, I'm sure Tom probably has a few lying around...

11. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    If the tools did not come with the car, even if the tools are the same year and model, then they are technically not original. Other than Concours judges and very picky buyers, "period" replacement tools are widely acceptable.

Therefore, don't waste your money on tools that did not actually come with the car.

12. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    True but it surprises me how often I find a needle.

As for tools that originally came with the car, this is extremely rare with older cars. I cannot see why any owner would want an original car but forget about the tool kit.

13. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
  14. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Very nice kit Kim

15. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Very nice kit Kim

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    @ 375+, how is beta55 different than auto beta 55? which car model and years?
    tia
    ed

17. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
  18. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    The script on the handles changed over the period they were used by Ferrari. I believe Auto Beta No 55 was the first script used from 58 till the mid sixties. Followed by Beta No 55 for 275's onwards. Then came the Beta 55 spanners without the "No" shown in my photo. Finally you have the current production Beta 55 spanner with a small logo on the handle.

19. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #19 Enigma Racing, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have only ever seen this kit as a picture in the 250 inside plug manual until Retromobile

Can anyone tell me if this was supplied with every car and what the tools are ?

Kim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. theowinstone

theowinstone Karting

May 27, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Theodore Winstone
    I think the top tool is for replacing liners

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I don't know that the chronology is that precise, but your description of the spanners is spot on.

22. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    The Beta Auto No 55 and the Beta No 55 designs used in the Ferrai tool kits have a larger wrench heads, with crisp edges, compared with the later Beta 55. The handle details are essentially the same, except for the evolution of the script/logo. The Beta 55 production through today (you can still buy Beta 55 new) has smaller, more streamlined wrench head. After the 275 era or soon thereafter, the tool kit wrenches are other brands, not Beta, but not sure of exactly when this happens. In the mechanic's tool box, the long tool with the curved handle is a spring compressor for inside-plug hairpin valve springs.

23. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Thought about adding a link to the website but 1950's and to a degree 1960's tool kits are difficult to define. Perhaps someone should start a thread on here on what they believe to be the correct kit for their car.........Then sit back and enjoy the arguments ! I believe that USA bound tool kits oftened differed to their European counterparts. I also believe that Ferrari used up kits from a previous model in the first batch of the new one. I have come across several very original early Daytonas with pure 275 kits as an example. The diagrams in the handbooks are usually totally misleading.

24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Perhaps we should start Fchat Original Tool Exchange thread? Post what you are looking for, and what you are willing to exchange.

25. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Great idea !